VPN for ITV hub while in France (1 Viewer)

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure it helps but we're in NL, I've just fired up the Firestick and was able to watch ITV, BBC and CH4 live, no VPN just a Tesco Unlimited sim in a Huawei router connected to NL KPN. I have no idea why its not recognised I'm abroad.

(Note:Free Tesco roaming ends 2023)
Are you still 🎶 🎵 🎼 in a whole lot of trouble
Cheers
Red

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure it helps but we're in NL, I've just fired up the Firestick and was able to watch ITV, BBC and CH4 live, no VPN just a Tesco Unlimited sim in a Huawei router connected to NL KPN. I have no idea why its not recognised I'm abroad.

(Note:Free Tesco roaming ends 2023)

Cheers
Red
It's because it's a UK SIM , same as my Vodafone SIM works fine , just not enough data :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We use Ivacy VPN when we travel and have done for about 5 years we used to live in France, once you get it set up OK, but their helpline is fantastic at helping out. I can send you a code if you pm me They are smaller than Nord but seem to be very active moving their servers around. never had an issue with live or catchup tv. But we do have a sat dish and tend to use that when we can get a signal.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
ut yet ITV hub still detects we are not in the UK , despite trying several different servers located in the UK ,
Stop the vpn app. Clear its cache. Force stop the ITV hub app. Clear cache. Ensure your device clock is set to UK time, not local time. Restart device. Restart vpn. Restart itv hub.
If that doesn't work, then try ukexpatvpn - we've used it for years and it's always worked. Occasionally they'll suss it out, but a force stop of the app (iplayer / itv hub / etc) and clearing its cache, then restarting ukexpatvpn always works. You can pay monthly as well if you wish... https://www.ukexpatvpn.com/

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I dont know anything about VPNs. Do i need to have it on my firestick or Iphone/ mifi?
Ta

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Stop the vpn app. Clear its cache. Force stop the ITV hub app. Clear cache. Ensure your device clock is set to UK time, not local time. Restart device. Restart vpn. Restart itv hub.
If that doesn't work, then try ukexpatvpn - we've used it for years and it's always worked. Occasionally they'll suss it out, but a force stop of the app (iplayer / itv hub / etc) and clearing its cache, then restarting ukexpatvpn always works. You can pay monthly as well if you wish... https://www.ukexpatvpn.com/
burgo thanks for the tips , I'll give that a try tonight and let you know if it helped.

bikingdave

Free Member
Jun 2, 2021
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
AT Mohican
Exp
I'm a newbie but very seasoned boater and ex caravanner and occasional camping with bike buddies.
All - this is actually quite a complicated topic. The VPN companies use a range of IP addresses and multiple ports. A lot of (streaming) service providers have a black list and if they detect an IP address using multiple ports then they blacklist it. So this will eventually happen to every (VPN) service provider on every IP address and subnet unless there are only a small number of users on it. The range will eventually be removed from the blacklist (its usually time bound) and so the cycle starts all over again. The best way (if you have the set up to do it) is to VPN in to your own house and then back out again. You are effectively doing the same thing as the VPN providers but on your own infrastructure. So any data is encrypted and invisible as to the origin as the only identifiable address is my home. I agree that you shouldn't have to do this and any licence should cover you but theoretically you are breaching the licence conditions as it is the geographical location of where you are viewing that is the issue. The system is wrong. As is the 'BBC' licence be needed to receive ANY terrestrial or streaming service. Jobs for the boys.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
So ATM it's a joke that you pay your TV license and can't even watch ITV hub while in France when using a non UK SIM , even though I've paid a license fee.
Reason we are using a non UK SIM is because of the crappy data allowance you get when roaming , so we have bought a France data SIM as we are very heavy data users.
I've tried my VPN which is ipvanish , but yet ITV hub still detects we are not in the UK , despite trying several different servers located in the UK , from what I gather this is because ITV hub has already blocked said IP addresses provided by the VPN ?
So my question is , does anyone here successfully use a VPN to watch ITV hub if they are using a non UK SIM card , e.g one they bought in France .
If so which VPN ?
Recently we were away for four weeks in the MoHo, which has sat tv etc.
We switched the TV on once, it had Dead Enders on, so we switched channels, and the channel we went on to also had a soap on, so we switched it of never to use it again the whole trip.
A bit of You Tube on the computer for a couple of hours on a rainy day but that was it.
Neither of us watch much live TV anyway when we are at home, Netfix or selective streaming works for us.
Hope you sort yoiur connection problems out.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
Have you tried britishtvanywhere.com I used to use that on a boat in Spain and it was fine. I think they do a free 24hr trial so maybe worth checking out.

Jun 26, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 600
Exp
15 yrs
We use Express VPN with Vodafone works OK in Spain and France, sadly had to upgrade my phone and lost roaming now. ITV hub and IPlayer were fine but sometimes struggled with All 4 and my 5. Now have a Lobster SIM card for Spain which works Ok ( When and if we gat a signal). Hope this helps.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Yes a vote for nord vpn from me. I here express vpn is OK as well.

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
I've used VPNs for 20 years for accessing UK TV when abroad. In my experience the only certainty is that whatever solution you find and however much you pay it works for a while and then it becomes blocked. The best VPN services will have the ability to quickly change out the IP addresses that they use so your VPN starts working again after a while. However, these days that may not be enough. Detecting whether you are abroad used to be based on your IP address and VPNs easily get round that. But services can detect whether you are using a VPN or a proxy or some other technique by inspecting the protocol that you are using and may block you whether you are in the UK or not. In this case I have seen them put up a notice inviting you to contact them if you are actually in the UK.
The TV companies are obliged to control which countries their broadcasts are receivable in because of copyright issues with programme providers. The UK licence has no relevance to this.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Update: All4 app now working correctly on Express VPN, deleted and reinstalled solved the problem.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Crappy internet at the place we stopped at tonight , so will have to wait till tomorrow night to give this another blast :)

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Steve we are also sorted for a SIM for France , we got one from leclerc 120gb for like 15euro
How do you get one of these French SIMs? Are there any complications setting up and using it?

I ask because my Smarty has just run out of its 'fair use' policy allowance in France.

Can I just buy a French data SIM?

I am using a MiFi router

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
How do you get one of these French SIMs? Are there any complications setting up and using it?

I ask because my Smarty has just run out of its 'fair use' policy allowance in France.

Can I just buy a French data SIM?

I am using a MiFi router
We bought ours in a large leclerc supermarket ( french version of a Tesco Extra store )
All you need is a form of I'd , which they scan
They also asked us for an address , but we just gave then the address of the airie we were at.
It costs 14.95 for 120gb or I think 19.95 for 160gb
There is also a one off charge of 5 euro for any of their SIM deals , e.g 120gb costs you 19.95 euro the first month , then when you go to top it up in month two it will cost you 14.95 euro for 120gb for the second month.
In the leclerc store the Sims were on display in their own small booth at the end of an isle .
Here is a pic of the packaging
And so far we have used like 30gb and it's been very impressive , mostly been used in the wife's phone with her hotspot on , but today is first time I've used it in the mifi and it worked fine there as well.

Attachments

• 16565750692237534328767542707351.jpg
    16565750692237534328767542707351.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 24

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We bought ours in a large leclerc supermarket ( french version of a Tesco Extra store )
All you need is a form of I'd , which they scan
They also asked us for an address , but we just gave then the address of the airie we were at.
It costs 14.95 for 120gb or I think 19.95 for 160gb
There is also a one off charge of 5 euro for any of their SIM deals , e.g 120gb costs you 19.95 euro the first month , then when you go to top it up in month two it will cost you 14.95 euro for 120gb for the second month.
In the leclerc store the Sims were on display in their own small booth at the end of an isle .
Here is a pic of the packaging
And so far we have used like 30gb and it's been very impressive , mostly been used in the wife's phone with her hotspot on , but today is first time I've used it in the mifi and it worked fine there as well.
That one seems to be a really good deal also 60GB for only €9.95, only downside if you cross borders only 8GB roaming.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
While we were recently in France/Spain we used the tv once.Connected via Firestick to my mobile phone via hotspot with a Freedom VPN set to UK.
Watched BBC iplayer "Glastonbury " then some Netflix.
🍻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back