VPN for ITV hub while in France (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So ATM it's a joke that you pay your TV license and can't even watch ITV hub while in France when using a non UK SIM , even though I've paid a license fee.
Reason we are using a non UK SIM is because of the crappy data allowance you get when roaming , so we have bought a France data SIM as we are very heavy data users.
I've tried my VPN which is ipvanish , but yet ITV hub still detects we are not in the UK , despite trying several different servers located in the UK , from what I gather this is because ITV hub has already blocked said IP addresses provided by the VPN ?
So my question is , does anyone here successfully use a VPN to watch ITV hub if they are using a non UK SIM card , e.g one they bought in France .
If so which VPN ?

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Bart, we use Nord VPN. Just logged on to ITVhub and it seemed to work OK. However, it is not a channel I use often.

FYI, if you use Britbox, Nord is aware of an issue and their technicians are trying to work out a resolution. So, if you use Britbox, you may have difficulty downloading.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
VPNs can also be very device specific. A VPN may work for one person on their device, but not for another person with another device. So it can be a bit of trial and error. But since they got total control of Britbox, they have been very active in blocking VPNs from their services. (And will probably get even more active when ITVHub goes through its changes to ITVX later this year)

And the UK TV license is for watching live TV from any country on any device, and iplayer, and applies to UK properties only. It does not apply if watching UK TV from other countries, does not mean if you have paid it in the UK it gives you the right to view in other countries, nor does it fund ITV. So this is not the issue.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
does not mean if you have paid it in the UK it gives you the right to view in other countries
Maybe not, but it should do.
It wouldn't be hard to set up a system for licence payers to register to, such as iPlayer and ITV Hub, with a username and password, then every time you logged in, you'd get a unique code by text to enter, thereby giving you access.

If SKY can allow their UK based customers access, then so can the BBC & ITV. It just needs doing.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It wouldn't be hard to set up a system for licence payers to register to, such as iPlayer and ITV Hub, with a username and password, then every time you logged in, you'd get a unique code by text to enter, thereby giving you access.

If SKY can allow their UK based customers access, then so can the BBC & ITV. It just needs doing.

Cheers,

Couldnt agree more Jock. If we're being compelled to pay for it then we should at least be able to watch it when and where we want to.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I
So ATM it's a joke that you pay your TV license and can't even watch ITV hub while in France when using a non UK SIM , even though I've paid a license fee.
Reason we are using a non UK SIM is because of the crappy data allowance you get when roaming , so we have bought a France data SIM as we are very heavy data users.
I've tried my VPN which is ipvanish , but yet ITV hub still detects we are not in the UK , despite trying several different servers located in the UK , from what I gather this is because ITV hub has already blocked said IP addresses provided by the VPN ?
So my question is , does anyone here successfully use a VPN to watch ITV hub if they are using a non UK SIM card , e.g one they bought in France .
If so which VPN ?
I'm managing by using data from Uk for F1 and Spanish sim for general day to day in mifi.

I have no experience of VPN use but have seen Express VPN mentioned as good a few times on other threads

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

You still need to use a VPN for Sky, as viewing outside the UK is not allowed as part of the T&Cs.
Prior to Brexit EU Portability rules allowed you access to pay services for a limited number of days (SkyGo was 35 days), without the need for a VPN. Post Brexit, EU portability rules no longer apply to UK broadcasters...so now you need a VPN at all times for UK based online paid content.
Even though you paid for it.

ITV had a service for expats and "holidaymakers"... but no one used it so they stopped it. ITV Essentials.
Same with the "global" iplayer...which was scrapped as no one used it, and they make back more money by giving rights to local broadcasters and Amazon and Netflix.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Cheers,

I think its more about licensed content and where they are allowed to broadcast it especially with sporting rights. I think with iplayer you can download stuff prior to travel to watch when away?

Reactions: DBK
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Didn't their used to be a device you had at home, that you controlled via the net, you told it what channel you wanted to watch and it sent it to you over the net.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I

I'm managing by using data from Uk for F1 and Spanish sim for general day to day in mifi.

I have no experience of VPN use but have seen Express VPN mentioned as good a few times on other threads

I

Yip this is more or less what we are trying to do , but with all the programs the Mrs watches on ITV our UK data is running out fast , as with like a 1 HR program uses around 1gb of data

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I'm in France now and using Express VPN and ITV hub works on my set up. Also using the Teikom Spanish 300 gb sim. 26Gb used in 7 days and no issues.
16563993345615785861631075852687.jpg

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I think with iplayer you can download stuff prior to travel to watch when away?
I'm pretty sure it does as I know the ipayer allowed us to do so before , however the Mrs is always up to date with her soaps & programs , so pointless downloading stuff before we come away that she's already seem.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Some home routers have VPN servers built in to them, so you can then go to your home router from abroad and then appear to be coming from your own home IP address. This means you don't have to pay for a VPN. Grandstream and Draytek routers have this for example - see here ... and if you really want to you can set up a Raspberry Pi at home to do it - see here

Cheers

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yip this is more or less what we are trying to do , but with all the programs the Mrs watches on ITV our UK data is running out fast , as with like a 1 HR program uses around 1gb of data
I take it you know that you can alter the settings on I player and on kindle to reduce data usage

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I take it you know that you can alter the settings on I player and on kindle to reduce data usage
The Mrs watches the hub on her Samsung /android tablet , I had a look to see if there was a quality setting , I'll have another look now ,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If so which VPN ?
Yes ,,had no problem last week travelling up from Spain,,I have been using Express VPN..Had to switch it off last night in UK to watch Netflix,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm in France now and using Express VPN and ITV hub works on my set up. Also using the Teikom Spanish 300 gb sim. 26Gb used in 7 days and no issues.
View attachment 635439
Interesting update here I've now discovered using our french SIM without a VPN you can watch nothing on the hub and it tells me I am outside the UK.
However if I use ipvanish and set it to UK I can then watch programs on demand , But yet if I go to watch ITV live , it says you are outside the UK

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I just had a look on the ITV hub settings and this was the only options ( playback settings only change if you use data , or data + WiFi ) , does anyone know if you can reduce the image quality on the ITV hub app,

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_093342_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220628_093342_HDR.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yes ,,had no problem last week travelling up from Spain,,I have been using Express VPN..Had to switch it off last night in UK to watch Netflix,,BUSBY.
Did express VPN work when watching the ITV hub live ? Or did you's only watch it on demand , thanks

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Hi yes I have Ipva
If so which VPN ?
I have ipvanish it’s useless couldn’t pick Netflix up in Spain, I now use Nord VPN now and it gets everything so far.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use Nord with a data sim in our router and we’re able to watch itv and iPlayer through Amazon firestick when down in Portugal.👍😊

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Not sure it helps but we're in NL, I've just fired up the Firestick and was able to watch ITV, BBC and CH4 live, no VPN just a Tesco Unlimited sim in a Huawei router connected to NL KPN. I have no idea why its not recognised I'm abroad.

(Note:Free Tesco roaming ends 2023)

Cheers
Red

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure it helps but we're in NL, I've just fired up the Firestick and was able to watch ITV, BBC and CH4 live, no VPN just a Tesco Unlimited sim in a Huawei router connected to NL KPN. I have no idea why its not recognised I'm abroad.

(Note:Free Tesco roaming ends 2023)
Are you still 🎶 🎵 🎼 in a whole lot of trouble.
Cheers
Red

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back