TomTom Camper obsolete (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I've had it a little over three years and an Email today says its incompatible with new map updates and would I like 35% off a shiny new one. They go on to say that it's "been a while" since I updated it. Yeah, must be all of two weeks before setting off on this trip.

If they think I'm shelling out another Ā£250 they are very much mistaken. The CEO is going to get his ears bent upon my return to the UK.
Hi, yes I bought mine last year when I got motorhome, I'm pretty well mad with the email. Will be the last time I buy a tomtom.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Download roadlords on to your phone I have been through France Spain and Portugal.
No problems.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
When I lost my newish phone recently I used an 8 year old Samsung I had in a drawer at home. I was amazed how well it worked. Google maps was fine which is my go to Sat nav.

The only thing it couldn't do was run my Chase and First Direct banking apps.

A Nigerian acquaintance tells me he can sort that problem out for you. Send me your account details and passwords, so I can pass them on. :cool:

I gave him mine so his cousin who is a Prince can send me Ā£5 million. I'm gonna be rich! :party:

Apr 4, 2014
Bath
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2008
I've had it a little over three years and an Email today says its incompatible with new map updates and would I like 35% off a shiny new one. They go on to say that it's "been a while" since I updated it. Yeah, must be all of two weeks before setting off on this trip.

If they think I'm shelling out another Ā£250 they are very much mistaken. The CEO is going to get his ears bent upon my return to the UK.
Got the same TomTom and had the message. However, yesterday a new message saying "sorry sent in error map update still available as and when"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido

Had the same email & then this follow up today:
Dear customer, We recently reached out by email about your device not being compatibile with our latest map. Regrettably, it has come to our attention that this message was sent to you while your current device is fully compatible with the latest map update, and there is no need for any changes.​
Our apologies for any confusion this may have caused. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your continued support.​
Should you have any further questions or require additional information, please feel free to reach out to our support team.

Apr 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I've had it a little over three years and an Email today says its incompatible with new map updates and would I like 35% off a shiny . Thearey go asts and juwell.on to say that it's "been a while" since I updated it. Yea nothing ah, must be all of two weeks before setting off on this trip.

I have used TomTom Go (app)on my tablet for years, Ā£20 a year. Lovely big screen supported by the Fiat document thingy in the middle of dash. Updates cost nothing and the maps are great. I built a jig to hold the tablet at a better angle, brilliant. You could use your phone.

I expect TomTom is seeking to exit hardware and just do apps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Had the second email but not the first but my latest TomTom is only a year old and I updated it last night. Have 3 others lying around and all still working if I needed them.

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
I have a TomTom in my car and a Garmin Camper in my MH, though often I do run google maps at the same time and, for the fun of it, compare the routes. But most importantly, I like to have something independent of my phone because I use my phone for so many things. The satnav route is just always there on screen. I can guarantee an incoming call or the end of my audio book or something will be just at the point when I need to know which exit to take from the junction! As a result, I just have changed the battery in my TomTom because the 7 year old battery was getting very flakey

Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I have a TomTom in my car and a Garmin Camper in my MH, though often I do run google maps at the same time and, for the fun of it, compare the routes. But most importantly, I like to have something independent of my phone because I use my phone for so many things. The satnav route is just always there on screen. I can guarantee an incoming call or the end of my audio book or something will be just at the point when I need to know which exit to take from the junction! As a result, I just have changed the battery in my TomTom because the 7 year old battery was getting very flakey
I always use Google maps on phone in car and it is good. I bought tomtom professional for motorhome because as you probably know you can put in vehicle measurements. Very helpful šŸ˜Š

Knuckle dragger

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2018
Shepperton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
30 years toodling around the UK
A Nigerian acquaintance tells me he can sort that problem out for you. Send me your account details and passwords, so I can pass them on. :cool:

I gave him mine so his cousin who is a Prince can send me Ā£5 million. I'm gonna be rich! :party:
Glad to see some members have not lost their sense of humour

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back