TomTom Camper obsolete (1 Viewer)

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've had it a little over three years and an Email today says its incompatible with new map updates and would I like 35% off a shiny new one. They go on to say that it's "been a while" since I updated it. Yeah, must be all of two weeks before setting off on this trip.

If they think I'm shelling out another £250 they are very much mistaken. The CEO is going to get his ears bent upon my return to the UK.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Everything seems to be getting a shorter shelf life and or becoming throwaway items!
I’m surprised my iPhone X is still receiving updates🤷‍♂️🙄

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I've had it a little over three years and an Email today says its incompatible with new map updates and would I like 35% off a shiny new one. They go on to say that it's "been a while" since I updated it. Yeah, must be all of two weeks before setting off on this trip.

If they think I'm shelling out another £250 they are very much mistaken. The CEO is going to get his ears bent upon my return to the UK.
Had the same email. Dont own a TomTom satnav, never have.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
An easy way to make items redundant and force new purchases. I’ve been caught by the ‘lifetime updates’ blurb as well. Just over two years and I got same message as you. The ‘lifetime’ for keeping the device current was two years!
The other one was a new smart tv I bought. After about 18 months the apps for running it wouldn’t update as they no longer supported that model. Luckily a firestick solved the issue but, like you, a perfectly good tv, purchased with no mention of its limited lifespan. 😡

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
I’ve had my tomtom camper version for about 6 years and I still get updates, think they must have made a mistake if you are still updating it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cyberyacht
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Had the same email. Dont own a TomTom satnav, never have.
I wonder if it is some sharp character trying to sell some SatNavs and stampeding existing owners into buying another. I didn't check the link for the discount to see if it was TomTom's kosher address. I'll worry about it when I get home. The one in OH's car was s/h off EBay with maps over 20 years old and I still use it fairly successfully.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I had the same response with a 4 year old garmin was told it was obsolete when I asked for a factory repair/reset by garmin , I got it repaired and new battery, software update and warranty for a lot less than a new one via a repair shop.

Jul 27, 2021
Bognor Regis, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 690 Nexxo
Exp
Since 2017
I to have had these warning emails for a while now from Tomtom for my motorbike version and they still update without any problems.

I believe it is emotional blackmail marketing, aimed at worrying people to upgrade to a new one.

My advice would be to ignore them.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
My 11 year old Samsung tab S2 is still running copilot caravan quite happily including the latest updates, though I've had to change to Apple music as the latest Amazon music app won't run consistently on it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We use our smart phone in a cradle which has a Polish satnav programme loaded by our computer/telephone guy, for which we pay about £20p.a. including free updates. It works well in all the places we have been in Europe, incl. Greece.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Have 3 x Garmins. Oldest about 15 years old. Still able to update on Lifetime maps.

Before you ask

Oldest is one I have used on motorbikes all over UK and Europe LM
Second came with my BMW motorbike. LM
Last is a Camper version. LM

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Really can't see the point in updating TomTom.
Not many new roads being built and few bypasses but all have signs explaining where to go
The last update on mine took 7 hours and NOTHING in the update concerned ANY UK roads.
I wouldn't worry.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The email I received:
IMG_2319.jpeg

Ian

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
No such email here and updated recently with no problems.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000

Had the same massage from TT
and yesterday had an apology from TT
it was an error.
and your, and my. TT camper Sat Nav is fine
to download any new maps
another admin shambles

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You're lucky they didn't send it to you in their first language!:giggler:

"We reached out to you by email....." Bloody annoying Americanism, hate it. Makes me want to reach out for their neck,
We hebben per e-mail contact met u opgenomen

Indeed, what's wrong with

"We recently contacted you by email..."
We hebben onlangs contact met u opgenomen via e-mail

At least they made an effort.(y)

Nov 9, 2022
Whitestone, Hereford, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp

Same here, that’s the last time I buy anything with their name on it.

Mar 27, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift van conversion
Exp
Since 2018

Screenshot_20240417-083835.png

Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
end of 2011
I got the same message about my GO520 not being compatible with new maps although I could update. I have however bought a new one as it has the ability to set the size of vehicle on it which the 520 couldn't and it is a bigger screen for my old eyes. These tomtoms were supposed to have lifetime maps, who's lifetime?

Feb 12, 2023
Walsall, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522 Van
Exp
Since 2021

My tom tom camper still getting updates, but I still get same message as you. On research this message was for an old tom tom one I ditched years ago.

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Got email in junk folder saying message sent in error. Still covered.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Everything seems to be getting a shorter shelf life and or becoming throwaway items!
I’m surprised my iPhone X is still receiving updates🤷‍♂️🙄
When I lost my newish phone recently I used an 8 year old Samsung I had in a drawer at home. I was amazed how well it worked. Google maps was fine which is my go to Sat nav.

The only thing it couldn't do was run my Chase and First Direct banking apps.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Lifetime means until maps are no longer supported on that device.

Lifetime should mean exactly that.....for the life of the device and it's time TomTom were brought to book.

I've run old sat navs on cars in the past. Yes maybe a few roads here and there may not exist but on the whole the road network is the same as it was 20 years ago. I won't be paying any money to update my built in motorhome sat nav when it is out of date. I just use Google maps when needed or sometimes anyway because it I prefer it.

Jul 11, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

I was with TomTom for years but last year I upgraded to a "garmin camper" satnav, and it's been a game changer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back