Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On Sunday we went to the flea market in the Carrefour car park at Waterloo and after four hours trawling the tables and cardboard boxes I came back with a goodly haul of old Belgian tat quality vintage items for the discerning English collector. ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This week, I've just bought another MOT certificate (legitimate I mght add :LOL:), and another twelve months MH Insurance from Comfort. (y)
Nothing exciting, but definitely essential. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Went to a car boot sale on Monday and got a 25kg bag of Lincolnshire tatties ... £5! :) Also a nice tall lamp for my Mum, and a few other bits and bobs including a hardly used George Foreman grill for £2! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aren't all Foreman grills "hardly used" :boxing:
Nope, we've got a smaller version at home which we use a lot but this is a bit bigger and also has removable grill plates for easy cleaning so even better - we actually wore a previous one out due to use!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I got the BOSCH jig saw yesterday and it's almost brand new -not a scratch on the bottom plate or the plastic cover for the plate (y) If I had used it 4 or 5 times it would be in a lot worse nick :) I cannot believe that someone can pay £400 use it once or twice then put it away only to find when they next need it the battery is dead -hence selling it to me,(y) for him to buy a diy electric one :(
Let that be a warning to others to always charge your batteries before you put it away (y)
well chuffed;)(y)(y):D As a bounus there are about 30 new blades in with it -I'll not mention them as he will have to buy some for his leccy replacement :LOL:
terry

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not essential with lithium ion and local Makita service centre has so far replaced three 18 volt LXT batteries for me and all just under 3yrs old but insufficient charge cycles to exclude replacement :D
Don't consider anything Nicad as they are crap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not essential with lithium ion and local Makita service centre has so far replaced three 18 volt LXT batteries for me and all just under 3yrs old but insufficient charge cycles to exclude replacement :D
Don't consider anything Nicad as they are crap
And you are telling me the ni cads are crap :LOL::D:D:D You have only confirmed my thoughts on the lithium -Had ni cads for yrs without much problem -Now onto lithium and everyone I know is having problems with batteries -but must say I have not encountered any YET :D
terry

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes Terry but Makita warranty them for hundreds of charges and their machine interrogates the built in chip to find the age and number of charges. If the battery looks in good condition and modest charges they will still replace it FREE in 3 yrs.
I get 3 times the duration from a lithium ion in use over a big bulky heavy nicad and can charge it any time whether full or part discharged. Charge time is only 22 minutes!
Just now I have 9 batteries so the usage is shared out.
Three of those live in the van

I mark them all so I know the order they were acquired
image.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Andy you have missed the point -yes they replace them but they should not need replacing like they do --Ni-cads have served me well over many yrs -yes eventually dying after a long time -Li-ion are or seem to be dying very quickly -I like my li-ion tools but they don't seem to like being used as much as the old ni-cads --IT COULD BE THAT THEY HOLD A LOT MORE POWER -but they certainly die quicker -I still see the old Makita 7.2 and 9.6 v slide up handle drills still performing well after what must be above 20 yrs --my first ever battery drill was one of the 7.2 v ones about 36/8 yrs ago which made my Yankee driver redundant (still got the Yankee;))
It has taken me a long time to trust the li-ion and they are great but I still use and like some of my old ni-cad stuff -The Bosch jig saw will earn it's keep and 3 am hr batts can be had for £20 so I expect to be using it for a long time :LOL:
terry

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've been using LXT for four years and not lost a battery yet at my expense.
I generally obtain batteries under £60 rather than the near £150 screw fix were charging :LOL::eek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I've been using LXT for four years and not lost a battery yet at my expense.
I generally obtain batteries under £60 rather than the near £150 screw fix were charging :LOL::eek:
Yes Andy but you again have had to have batteries exchanged :doh:with the old crap ni-cads would you have had to get them exchanged ?
Paul and I have both gone onto Milwaukie li-on tools and they are proving excellent(y) but even these are breaking and getting exchanged or repaired :LOL: now should they break ? I think tools are good only when they don't break/need exchange -The fact that they give and honour a 3 yr warranty is great (y) but it would be better if they did not have to repair or exchange in the first place ;)
terry

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nicads were a pain having to fully discharge them before recharging and the power drops off as they discharge.
Li maintain the power right to the end.
I never had a warranty of more than 12 months with nicads and they must be stored fully charged.
I am blessed with living 10 minutes walk from a major Makita service agent and the battery I recently exchanged was four years old but lucky for me their diagnostic machine was playing up so they swapped it :p
The other aspect is that there are a huge amount of tools that use the LXT battery and I have many of them.

Any battery is a "consumable" at the end of the day but the performance difference of Li over Nicd is huge

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They are different (y) but to say the old ni-cads are crap is not right -
Yes they both have a place in the tool box and the way I use them is simple -if a battery goes flat I simply replace it with a fully charged one -I cannot say I have noticed any difference power wise because of this/use simply the li-on are lighter,and with most of my tools both use batteries until they simply drop off the cliff face IE power until dead -you notice within a few last(2/3) screws that they are dying :)no gradual loss of power ;)
As to a few mins walk to service centre it's lucky if I still have the receipt or can find said receipt -If I buy crap tools then I keep receipt because I know I will have killed it long before the GTEE is out so get a refund -If stuck I used to go to ARGOS to get me out of the s--- then take it back after I had found a good tool ;)
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK Andy I give up:) it still does not alter the fact that your Li-on batteries have packed up ;):(My old crap Ni-cads are still going strong (y);)
If you had anything other than Makita and I, the Milwaukee, I don't think any other makes out there give 3 yr warranty -The Eihell one has a 2 yr gtee and for the money it's impressive (y)As to the Bosch I have paid less than the price of one battery for it -in fact if I factor in the blades I got I have probably paid less than 20 quid for it (y)A bargain if ever I got one ;)
terry

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just bought 6 litres of Soberano from Iberian food&wines using my Euro pre paid card €99.30 delivered from Spain or sub £12 a litre. Based on rate at time we bought euros

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back