Sufficient Calor gas for extended European travel (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And if Bazzagas doesn't know Basildog is Autogas 2000, and you get a Funster discount.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Without EHU you will struggle we use about 14kg in 15 days, we don't use EHU just our fridge uses 0.5 kg (1 Lt) a day.

If you are going to be going across every year we'll worth fitting refillable cylinders you soon recover the cost with the gas being about a ⅓ of the cost of the equivalent 6kg bottle.
Same here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autograph 79 4I
And if Bazzagas doesn't know Basildog is Autogas 2000, and you get a Funster discount.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autograph 79 4I
We tend to stay at sites so not really a problem.We take a camping gaz cylinder the largest size with a suitable connector so in the event of running out you can get a refill in most supermarkets. Yes more expensive but is a safety net unless you go the whole hog and fit a gaslow system . We normally go for 5 weeks in summer so not using gas for heating ( hot water excepted) and we always come back with at least one full calor cylinder.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
I have a 6kg Calor and 6kg Gaslow. The filler point was already installed so an easy self fit which I had checked by a Gas Safe engineer. Hamiltons and Autogas 2000 were very helpful in supplying the bits and advice.
I went for a manual changeover so I don't leave Calor turned on. The Gaslow cylinder has a gauge on it so i have a rough idea of how much Gaslow.
I haven't done an extended trip yet so can't advise on usage (that comes later this year when we venture into Europe for first time).

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
Hi funsters...we are one month away from our trip to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany possibly Austria...we are away for 58 days..my question is I have two calor gas 6kg..I intend to take both full..will they be enough...we will have to use sites so plan to be on electric some times..(.need to fill up with water and dump waste )..but would probably use gas for water and cooking and fridge...I don't want to run out as I think there is no calor bottles available...any advice please....thanks...
We did 2 months last year, Spain and Portugal.... on sites and EHU and used less than 1x 6k Propane including cooking outside on a BBQ.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We once did a five-week trip to Spain (April / May) and didn't turn the gas on once. Used electric hook-ups all the way for everything.

However, when we changed the van we had a single Gas-it (admittedly 11kg) bottle installed and retained a 6kg Calor exchangeable bottle.

System has worked fine for us for continental and UK travels. Never use the Calor, but it's there if needed. (y)

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Need a refilla
Hi funsters...we are one month away from our trip to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany possibly Austria...we are away for 58 days..my question is I have two calor gas 6kg..I intend to take both full..will they be enough...we will have to use sites so plan to be on electric some times..(.need to fill up with water and dump waste )..but would probably use gas for water and cooking and fridge...I don't want to run out as I think there is no calor bottles available...any advice please....thanks
Hi funsters...we are one month away from our trip to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany possibly Austria...we are away for 58 days..my question is I have two calor gas 6kg..I intend to take both full..will they be enough...we will have to use sites so plan to be on electric some times..(.need to fill up with water and dump waste )..but would probably use gas for water and cooking and fridge...I don't want to run out as I think there is no calor bottles available...any advice please....thanks...
ideally you should get a refillable set-up - I bought a Gas-It kit from the LPGShop (Leicester) very helpful they were - quick & easy to DIY fit as well. Very quick pay back period and takes away all of the hassle

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
We seldom take UK bottles with us on EU trips. I have a small 5kg German bottle as a spare to our larger French & German ones. The 5kg is available in Germany & Austria and cost me 12 euros to refill in February. The grey bottles with a red over-cap are propane and the pigtail is the same as the Uk one for butane.
Given the fast dissapearing availability of pump LPG in the UK, I would not even consider fitting a lot of expensive kit at this time.
Actually, I probably will take a UK botlle to France next month, as a back-up to our 13kg green French bottle. Used as the "reserve" only, it will probably come back half full at least.
Good luck!
Cb.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I just want to present an alternative you may not have realise if you only doing shorter 30 day trips...
Check if your gas locker will take 11kg EU size bottles, as if so, you could potentially just take 22kg of Flogas (2x11kg bottles).

Yes, it's about a £80 including gas first time fill for each bottle, but then the refills are also reasonable at about £34 for 11kg.
Flogas IS more expensive than refillables for SURE -> but it also would last (for us) a month of touring based on our expenriences with 22kg on board.

I actually agree with most here and getting Gaslow is appropriate if you do a LOT of touring a year, for our use (1-2 bottles a year for our current UK touring) when you run the numbers over 5 years theres not that much difference in total cost (bottle + replacement costs versus new gaslow + refills) given we already had flogas deposits in place for our bbq. We ARE 100% getting gaslow, but we are waiting until 2027 now, as that is year we will take 3 months off work to do an extended tour, and we will 100% need it then, and then we have 10 years of bottle life to maek MOST of it nearer our retirement. Effectively that first 2 years with 3 months touring each year will maek the difference as we'll need likely around 70kg of gas those years, making refillables the ONLY cheap option.
Gaslow bottles DO need replacement every 10 years! Basildog I'll be in touch pre-tour for it when we go visit the folks near you!

Jul 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
bailey
Yes we always take 2 6kg so mixed use with electric will be plenty.

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Two years ago, I panicked because I couldn't buy any bottle gas in our area. So, I bought an all electric Isotherm fridge. I have enough solar power, especially in Spain. My 2 x 6kg gas bottles lasted all season. The fridge is great. Its a little smaller than the old 3-way but its much bigger on the inside.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I know that many on here carry a mix of refillable and Calor/Flogas/Gaz, etc, bottles, but I honestly don’t understand the need to do this if you have refillables. We fitted 2 x 11kg Gasit when we bought the MH and have never had an issue finding places to refill. Refilling is a tiny fraction of the cost of replacing a Calor or similar cylinder. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back