Sufficient Calor gas for extended European travel (1 Viewer)

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Hi funsters...we are one month away from our trip to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany possibly Austria...we are away for 58 days..my question is I have two calor gas 6kg..I intend to take both full..will they be enough...we will have to use sites so plan to be on electric some times..(.need to fill up with water and dump waste )..but would probably use gas for water and cooking and fridge...I don't want to run out as I think there is no calor bottles available...any advice please....thanks...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Without EHU you will struggle we use about 14kg in 15 days, we don't use EHU just our fridge uses 0.5 kg (1 Lt) a day.

If you are going to be going across every year we'll worth fitting refillable cylinders you soon recover the cost with the gas being about a ⅓ of the cost of the equivalent 6kg bottle.

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Without EHU you will struggle we use about 14kg in 15 days, we don't use EHU just our fridge uses 0.5 kg (1 Lt) a day.

If you are going to be going across every year we'll worth fitting refillable cylinders you soon recover the cost with the gas being about a ⅓ of the cost of the equivalent 6kg bottle.
Thanks lenny...ive got a few questions... where would i get them from..do you know the cost...can i use, say, a refillable..and carry a calor...are the connections the same..Will my equipment in the moho use them OK.. I'm limited in size to the 6 kg bottles...the gas compartment won't take a bigger bottle..

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
.the gas compartment won't take a bigger bottle..
Is that because of height or width?

Will my equipment in the moho use them OK
Yes. you will be OK. LPG is basically propane? The same as Calor.
Even if you currently use blue butane bottles your equipment will be OK.
One proviso for both is that we assume your regulator is not attached to the top of the bottle. the old way of doing it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Is that because of height or width?

Yes. you will be OK. LPG is basically propane? The same as Calor.
Even if you currently use blue butane bottles your equipment will be OK.
One proviso for both is that we assume your regulator is not attached to the top of the bottle. the old way of doing it.
Both really...its quite tight..

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
You are righht about not being able to get Calor once you cross the channel. :cautious:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Look for GasIT or Gaslow deals near you or on the way to down. It will cost you a few hundred but save in the mid term and completely takes the stress away when overseas. Basildog may be able to advise options near you, or maybe you can arrange to call there on the way south.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I bought my refillable 'Gaslow; bottle from Hamilton Gas. Very helpful company with quick delivery.

They do a 6KG one. Personally I have one Gaslow bottle which I refill everytime it gets low. I also carry a 6KG Calor bottle as a back up in case the Gaslow bottle runs out. You will need a different hose (pigtail) for the Gaslow. I just swap the hose over if I need to change bottles but keeping an eye on levels and topping up means I rarely need to do this.

It's a good idea to have a external refill point as some garages don't like you filling up bottles directly. Having an external refill point saves questions.

Set up can be expensive but if you use it a lot you will make your money back as LPG is cheaper. Also, less hassle when abroad.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I bought my refillable 'Gaslow; bottle from Hamilton Gas. Very helpful company with quick delivery.

They do a 6KG one. Personally I have one Gaslow bottle which I refill everytime it gets low. I also carry a 6KG Calor bottle as a back up in case the Gaslow bottle runs out. You will need a different hose (pigtail) for the Gaslow. I just swap the hose over if I need to change bottles but keeping an eye on levels and topping up means I rarely need to do this.

It's a good idea to have a external refill point as some garages don't like you filling up bottles directly. Having an external refill point saves questions.

Set up can be expensive but if you use it a lot you will make your money back as LPG is cheaper. Also, less hassle when abroad.

VXman has it exactly right. You only need one refillable bottle as you top up when you see an LPG retailer and there are many of them on the continent - far more than in the UK. Apps are available to direct you to LPG retailers.
Keep one calor as an emergency bottle and you can also get an adapter for the calor pigtail that allows the calor tail to fit the gaslow bottle - in other words using your existing pipework.
My personal advice is to get an external fill point, especially for France, but many people on here say they have had no problems with an internal fill point. You will certainly have problems with a direct filling point that requires you to take the bottle out of the van to refill in France.
You will reap the benefit very quickly.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
It looks like you're in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Autogas2000 are just off the A1M around Thirsk and do an excellent job of fitting refillable gas tanks with external filler points.

We learnt the hard way that the Calor bottles we had on board for our first trip across the Channel were insufficient for the length of trip! We ended up buying a Spanish pig tail and getting hold of a Spanish gas bottle, but it was a real pain.

On our way back up to Northumberland where we lived at the time, we stopped at Autogas (appt made in advance) and they fitted a refillable Alugas cylinder and filler and we've not looked back. It's a great investment - both in ease and convenience, and in the price of LPG. Tbh, in our minds it paid for itself on its first use!! 😊

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hi funsters...we are one month away from our trip to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany possibly Austria...we are away for 58 days..my question is I have two calor gas 6kg..I intend to take both full..will they be enough...we will have to use sites so plan to be on electric some times..(.need to fill up with water and dump waste )..but would probably use gas for water and cooking and fridge...I don't want to run out as I think there is no calor bottles available...any advice please....thanks...
I believe Tyne Valley Motorhomes at Burnopfield are Gaslow dealers. They are close to you.
You can also fill up at the BP at the Derwent Services near the Metro Centre.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
can i use, say, a refillable..and carry a calor...are the connections the same..
I installed a 6kg Gaslow refillable and a 6kg exchangeable Calor both permanently connected to the regulator.
You don't have to wait for the refillable to run out as it can be topped up at any time.
I only tour abroad and due to the ready availability of LPG pumps I have never had to change to the Calor cylinder.
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 001.JPG

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
I installed a 6kg Gaslow refillable and a 6kg exchangeable Calor both permanently connected to the regulator.
You don't have to wait for the refillable to run out as it can be topped up at any time.
I only tour abroad and due to the ready availability of LPG pumps I have never had to change to the Calor cylinder.
View attachment 884120
Looks good..is the fill point fitted to the compartment door...

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Yes, with a right-angled elbow to avoid strain or a tight bend in the filling hose. There are posts on here about the desirability of fitting it in the door and it's a bit of a contentious subject. My thoughts are that there's probably no greater risk of leakage than disconnecting and reconnecting Calor bottles every time they are refilled. There's a non-return valve at both ends of the filling hose so it can only hold a small fixed amount of gas. The greatest risk would be if the filling hose was to split or burst when filling but the gas locker door would shut. My installation instructions that came with the kit showed how to install the filler in the door with a right-hand elbow but I've read on here that they no longer show the door filler method in their installation instructions.
I examine the installation regularly.
P.S. I have a crash cut-off valve so generally only open the door to turn the gas on or off when refilling the cylinder or on the ferry or I'm leaving the m/h parked on my drive out of season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Yes, with a right-angled elbow to avoid strain or a tight bend in the filling hose. There are posts on here about the desirability of fitting it in the door and it's a bit of a contentious subject. My thoughts are that there's probably no greater risk of leakage than disconnecting and reconnecting Calor bottles every time they are refilled. There's a non-return valve at both ends of the filling hose so it can only hold a small fixed amount of gas. The greatest risk would be if the filling hose was to split or burst when filling but the gas locker door would shut. My installation instructions that came with the kit showed how to install the filler in the door with a right-hand elbow but I've read on here that they no longer show the door filler method in their installation instructions.
I examine the installation regularly.
Yeah..I'm an ex gasman...40+ years, so it would probably only be the hose that would wear with opening and closing of the door...regular checks should be OK...I've seen a few with fillers on the door...did you do it yourself...and what extra fittings would you use...
Thanks...

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Yes I fitted it seven years ago in about an hour and a half (with only one useable hand - motorbike crash) including a stop for a brew and triple thinking before plucking up the courage to drill the hole in the door!
This was the kit including a can of leak detector from the very helpful technical people at Gaslow to replace one of the Calor cylinders........
2017-03-24 Gaslow kit 001.JPG

If I was to remove the kit to fit to another m/h I'd put a vent grille over the door filler hole.

2017-04-03 Gaslow installation Apl 3 2017 005.JPG

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I didn't want to fit it low down e.g in the skirt because the LPG hoses are quite stiff, the filler gun heavy and quite tricky to lock on to the filler point so would be awkward to use one-handed if the filler point was low down.

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Yes I fitted it seven years ago in about an hour and a half (with only one useable hand - motorbike crash) including a stop for a brew and triple thinking before plucking up the courage to drill the hole in the door!
This was the kit including a can of leak detector from the very helpful technical people at Gaslow to replace one of the Calor cylinders........
View attachment 884151

If I was to remove the kit to fit to another m/h I'd put a vent grille over the door filler hole.

View attachment 884152
Did that kit come with the price of the bottle....can you remember the costs of the kit and bottle..I appreciate prices have gone up , but just to give me an idea....I've seen the 6kg bottle on line for £170...

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
I didn't want to fit it low down e.g in the skirt because the LPG hoses are quite stiff, the filler gun heavy and quite tricky to lock on to the filler point so would be awkward to use one-handed if the filler point was low down.
I've also been looking at safefill because you can see how low the gas is getting...they're about 30 quid more for a 6kg...

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The fitting kit wasn't included in the cost of the cylinder. I can't remember what I paid but my decision/priority was convenience as I only tour abroad and the bonus that LPG at a pump is about 1/3rd the cost of Calor. Have a look on the Gaslow website with prices.

Re. Safefill, that's also a contentious subject as some say that they have been refused at pumps when wanting to fill them and others that they have never had that problem.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Safefill will be refused in a lot of places abroad, if its not fitted into the van with a proper cut off then they will refuse. Have a proper Gaslow bottle fitted you won't regret it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes and it is not recommended and if you fit it in the door rubber hoses are a lot safer.
I've also been looking at safefill because you can see how low the gas is getting...they're about 30 quid more for a 6kg...
They are a single hole bottle so you have to take them out of the van to fill. Much higher chance of getting refused at a garage

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Look for GasIT or Gaslow deals near you or on the way to down. It will cost you a few hundred but save in the mid term and completely takes the stress away when overseas. Basildog may be able to advise options near you, or maybe you can arrange to call there on the way south.
You beat me to it cannot fault the Basildog service

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back