Stupid Stickers (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Should I put them on or not ! Will be travelling through France late May early June going near Bordeaux and maybe a couple of towns/city but not going into them with the van if I can help it , I will be stopping on sites/Aires mainly out of town.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
It’s everyone’s choice as to whether you fit them or not, I do it so as to not run the risk of a fine. ( I can do without the hassle of getting involved with French police, speaking very little of the language)

As far as I am concerned it is the law in France to display them if over 3.5t, I don’t agree with them, but fit them.

I would ask, how many drivers on this forum learnt to drive without fitting L plates? very few I would assume, simply because the law says you should, I see AM as no difference.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Do not bother about any emissions stickers, mainly do Germany and have a German built van that has a build date on it so they can work that out bye themselves!!
Angle Mortz, apart from the odd stop in Gravelines it’s straight from the tunnel to Belgium most of the time so not going to faf about just for the few miles,
Loads of emission zones in Belgium - do you avoid these or pay up each trip?

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'll stick to my approach that with my Crit Air 4 sticker I'm not really allowed into the urban zones so the Angle Mort stickers aren't required.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Loads of emission zones in Belgium - do you avoid these or pay up each trip?
I’m registered with 3 (Brussels, Gent, Antwerpen) no sticker but a database of all vehicles registered. If you are not registered then as far as I know if you stray into a LEZ zone the camera pick up your reg. if you ain’t in the database then a fine is issued. Again this is only from talking to a Belgium bloke, so no guarantee!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Mel,

It's about weight, not length (story of my life) as confirmed to me by the La sous-direction de la sécurité et des émissions des véhicules (The French Vehicle Safety and Emissions Sub-Directorate).

Monsieur bonjour,

Ce poids de 3,5t est à considérer par véhicule et pas pour l'ensemble de véhicules. Si le véhicule à moteur à un PTAC de moins de 3,5t il n'aura pas d'obligation de signalisation angles morts, même si le PTAC de l'ensemble Véhicule tracteur + remorque dépasse 3,5t.

Cordialement.

Which translates as:

Hello sir,

This weight of 3.5t is to be considered per vehicle and not for all vehicles. If the motor vehicle has a GVWR of less than 3.5t it will not be required to provide blind spot signaling, even if the GVWR of the tractor vehicle + trailer combination exceeds 3.5t.

Sincerely.
Yes I know but he said he has a 7m MH and no way will that be under 3500kg unless there's nowt in it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We spent 7 weeks touring France in our 4.25t Hymer, never bothered with Angles Morts and never stopped or asked.
Same here on 3 x 60 day trips, two transitting France to/from Spain, and the other mainly in France.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Go there 3 times a year and never had any crit things never had anything come through the post or been pulled over🤔🤔
I think most of us have little chance of wandering into a zone, I've certainly no plans to go on holiday to Brussels, I even avoid the ring road because of the 5 mile queue junction.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Not sure i
I think most of us have little chance of wandering into a zone, I've certainly no plans to go on holiday to Brussels, I even avoid the ring road because of the 5 mile queue junction.
Not sure if Brugge has one but definitely been to a fair few towns in Germany where they seem to want it😳😳

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The whole of south Belgium comes under the Wallonia zone which covers over half the country

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
These stupid stickers as you call them are meant to save lives. You think it's not useful because as a car driver and as a moho driver you know (because you learnt) where the danger stands. BUT a simple car driver doesn't always realise he can't be seen, because he never sat on a big vehicle seat! Especially youngsters.... With these it's even more dangerous whether they are in a car or on a motorcycle .
You've been young once I guess... ??? A little bit of understanding and you might save more lives than you think!

I have said for a long time that driver training should include a component of training to cover other vehicles.
I would like to see car drivers having to experience both cycles and lorries.

There is a demonstration where a cycle is bolted firmly to the ground and a lorry passes fairly close by at 50mph. Scares the crap out of the person on the cycle and opens their eyes to the dangers.
It shouldn't be too hard to organise a day for each potential driver to have this experience.
Then to sit in the cab of the lorry while cars, cycles and vans are placed in the blinds spots to really demonstrate the problem.
I would also think a demonstration of lorry braking distances would be useful to reduce the number of people who cut in front of a lorry and brake reducing the safe distance for the lorry. Although on this point lorry drivers don't do themselves any favours with the gaps they keep.

At 17 being told something is a completely different thing to having a real experience of why.

I don't think car drivers will pay any attention to those stickers myself. But they can't do any harm I suppose.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have said for a long time that driver training should include a component of training to cover other vehicles.
I would like to see car drivers having to experience both cycles and lorries.

There is a demonstration where a cycle is bolted firmly to the ground and a lorry passes fairly close by at 50mph. Scares the crap out of the person on the cycle and opens their eyes to the dangers.
It shouldn't be too hard to organise a day for each potential driver to have this experience.
Then to sit in the cab of the lorry while cars, cycles and vans are placed in the blinds spots to really demonstrate the problem.
I would also think a demonstration of lorry braking distances would be useful to reduce the number of people who cut in front of a lorry and brake reducing the safe distance for the lorry. Although on this point lorry drivers don't do themselves any favours with the gaps they keep.

At 17 being told something is a completely different thing to having a real experience of why.

I don't think car drivers will pay any attention to those stickers myself. But they can't do any harm I suppose.
I think the same and not only in this case. Being "in situ" also teach parents the different things a baby sees from his heigh. We have once in a while show rooms with giant highchairs or prams and huge tables with huge knife on etc.... Just for the parents to be able to feel like a baby. They realise very often how tempting are things around their children and where the dangers stand!

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Do Electric cars have stickers on them to show that they are electric and the fact that you cannot hear them.
Surely these are more of a hazard than a bloody big diesel engined box coming down the road.

Even then I don’t understand what difference a sticker would make.
Electric cars have to make an artificial noise when driving slowly, when driving at speed they can be as noisy as an ICE car due to tire noise.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I’m registered with 3 (Brussels, Gent, Antwerpen) no sticker but a database of all vehicles registered. If you are not registered then as far as I know if you stray into a LEZ zone the camera pick up your reg. if you ain’t in the database then a fine is issued. Again this is only from talking to a Belgium bloke, so no guarantee!
Did the same for Belgium.
And the French Crit Air one, and the German Umplak thing.
As far as I know, I haven't driven anywhere where it was necessary to have them. I just feel that Monsieur Le Gendarme, Herr Polizist or Meneer Politieagent just might look kindly on me for something else, if I show that I have gone to the trouble to get the stickers.

I don't need the fugly Angles Mort sticker, as my V5C weight is 3500kg. If (when) I do go up to 3850kg, I don't know if I will or not. Seems daft to me. Nothing will change about my bus except a bit of paper, so why are the stickers even relevant, apart from really pointless law? I don't look heavy as my rear axle semi air is jacked up to 2.5 bar and I tow a 500kg trailer.

If I had a Morello gin palace, then yeah, I'd wear the fugly stickers.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
would baulk at the idea of shelling out a few euros in the unlikely event they need a new one if the windscreen needed replacing.
cost isn't a factor it is the inconvenience & time taken to receive a new one.If away then the French only send to home address, German can be bought locally . Spanish only at home via correos.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Do Electric cars have stickers on them to show that they are electric and the fact that you cannot hear them.
Surely these are more of a hazard than a bloody big diesel engined box coming down the road.

Even then I don’t understand what difference a sticker would make.
Yehbut,

Yehbut,

Erm, how do you see the warning sticker if you don't hear the car coming :unsure: :LOL:

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
The whole of south Belgium comes under the Wallonia zone which covers over half the country
They seem to have put back Wallonia until 2025. It makes sense to have a whole country thing or a big region.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The weybridge records under 3500kg. You don't have to include the tow car in that weight.
But is that with the MH in full travelling trim (yes I know you don't include the car).
Mine is 7.3 metres and is plated at 3500kg. It is the plated Max Gross Weight, the figure that is writ on the V5C logbook thing.
That may be the official figure on the log book but is your really 3500kg max when in full travelling trim?

That's the point I was trying to make, unless you weight it in 'trip' mode then how do you know it's no more than 3500kg, if it's over not only are you into AM sticker territory but you're also in overweight vehicle mode and possibly not allowed to drive it if you don't have a C1. There's more to it than just the V5 weight.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
But is that with the MH in full travelling trim (yes I know you don't include the car).

That may be the official figure on the log book but is your really 3500kg max when in full travelling trim?

That's the point I was trying to make, unless you weight it in 'trip' mode then how do you know it's no more than 3500kg, if it's over not only are you into AM sticker territory but you're also in overweight vehicle mode and possibly not allowed to drive it if you don't have a C1. There's more to it than just the V5 weight.
I think you're missing the point that the French very obviously don't care how much it actually weighs as long as the carte grise shows less than 3500kgs.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've had angles mort stickers in my van since 2017/18 . They're in an envelope with the UK ones in the pocket behind drivers seat. Never had an issue . If I ever do have an issue I'll just slap my forehead whilst shouting sacre bleu delboy style and apply the stickers before jonny darme turns up. The things are an eyesore and completely pointless

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging

No, I get all that. But the French authorities assess the need to wear the stickers based on what your plated or V5C weight is, NOT the actual weight of your bus on the day. What they call the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).

If you have a plated weight of 3500kg, but are actually weighing over 3500kg on the day that the Gendarmes pull you over, then you would be guilty of the separate offence of being overweight. But you still wouldn't need to wear stickers according to the French law . It is just another example of how silly the law actually is.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think you're missing the point that the French very obviously don't care how much it actually weighs as long as the carte grise shows less than 3500kgs.
But we don't actually know what the OPs MH weighs nor more importantly from what is on his V5C as I don't think he's told us (unless I've missed it due to being preoccupied with going to hospital with FIL).
No, I get all that. But the French authorities assess the need to wear the stickers based on what your plated or V5C weight is, NOT the actual weight of your bus on the day. What they call the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).
As above.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back