Struggling in Spain (2 Viewers)

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
I am a newbie ex caravaner for 40years
We set off nearly two weeks ago from the euro tunnel taking the western route and we are now in Villajoyosa but we are struggling to get any further down the coast as every camp site or paying Aire is fully booked until the end of February .
we are using the usual Campercontact , ACSI and Search for sites .
If I’d have know this would be the situation I would have pre booked months ago although that in itself spoils the concept of travelling in a motorhome?
Any ideas?

Solution2
Everyone and his/her mother want to be coastal in Spain at this time of year. We're travelling inland at the moment and its very quiet, during the week, at least. We're on camperstop near Valdepeñas and we have one German neighbour.

Last night we were in Úbeda and there were about 7 motorhomes there, but that's a touristic town.
Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
We have been travelling for the last 5 weeks from our home near Alicante all around Portugal and now in the middle of Spain and only once have we failed to get on an aire, and that was Gelves in Sevilla, other than that have mixed wild camping, free aires and camp sites and not had a problem, in fact I would say the busiest site we have been on was camping Cáceres this last weekend

0B43C65A-51AB-48C6-B029-038C70E496C8.jpeg

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Same here absolutely rammed in the Algarve, we are on a camperpark

Are you on one of these sites?

Algarve Motorhome Parks

We were hoping to turn up early one morning at Tavira with the hope of getting on.

Are folks queuing up outside overnight?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2019
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680 A Cl
Exp
Since June 20

Algarve Motorhome Parks

We were hoping to turn up early one morning at Tavira with the hope of getting on.

Ian
We are currently in Tavira on the Portuguese police campsite which is open to the public from October. Plenty of space and 12€ a night including electric. Facilities are dated but showers are hot. Found the site on Campercontact

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2021
Hilton Road, Fenstanton, Huntingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50
Exp
Since 2009.
I have just travelled along from Motril to Estepona on the N340 coast road. Previously I would see the occasional motorhome wildcamping in the coastal parking areas. This year they are mostly full of mainly German registered motorhomes. I am told that the high energy bills are driving more people south to the sun. Like the uk resorts, the local people do not appreciate this invasion of wild campers. It is only a mater of time before this is stopped. Then it will be even more difficult to find a pitch.

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
this is an eyeopener to me, i would have bet my pension that although it would not be empty down there, it would not be full to bursting, but tbo we always do france after the frenchies go back to work in sept and almost never have a problem and have never booked anywhere abroad and agree with cabbage that is the purpose of a motorhome, as we have no more than a general idea of our direction never mind where we wanna stop, It rather buggers up the ad hock concept, having said that i can see we have rather oversold the wonderfulness of motorhomes and the covid effect has sent it nuts and rather like the invaders in small boats they have got to go somewhere. Having said all that benidorm was a concrete jungle 40 years ago so i wont be going thanks :)

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Brexit, obviously hasnt helped us much in the motorhome community maybe ?
How on earth do you reach that conclusion :doh:.
Brexit has nothing whatsoever with lack of capacity at Spanish sites/aires

Last edited:
Upvote 1

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
How on earth do you reach that conclusion :doh:.
Brexit has nothing whatsoever with lack of capacity at Spanish sites/aires
If Spain goes full on with a ban on parking up on unofficial locations we are all up S**t street.... I'm aware of National Laws regarding this...but just imagine if that changed in a way Murcia wants...

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Vera Tenis. Outskirts of Vera, Almeria. N37 14.932. W1 51.251
You'll almost always get on there as it's a bit inland and it has a huge open area at the top of the site if the bays are full. But it's somewhat exposed, have stayed there couple of times but rejected it this time round as potentially very cold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Millsy's
Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
? Hopefully Millsy's may come back and update us
I stopped having notifications on the thread so i thought that it was dead but yes I did find room on Camping Mar Menor for a few days and that was rammed then I moved inland to Granada Camping Reina Isabel instead of the Costa del sol as originally planned and I was lucky to get in there also , on my way to Northern Portugal next because the South is just about full then France then home I’m afraid .
I must have literally spend days in total stressing out trying to find a site for a night or two and that’s not my idea of fun so unless the situation improves by next winter I won’t be doing this trip again.
The Northern Europeans can have it .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Millsy's
Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
Sorry to hear that things are so busy, we will be trundling down to Spain next week and haven’t got anything booked, probably fancy a week at Benacassim before moving further South - fingers crossed 🤞
Good luck with that and I think that you will need everything crossed 🤞

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
...but that's not a by product of Brexit is it?
No not at all...it's my biggest fear, that eventually something's got to give...it's unsustainable....last year was bad, this year it's even worse....our adjoining council had compulsory purchased a large strip of land to be able to control the encampments that are currently in place...

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I guess COVID has created a boom in self contained holidays on wheels.
No not at all...it's my biggest fear, that eventually something's got to give...it's unsustainable....last year was bad, this year it's even worse....our adjoining council had compulsory purchased a large strip of land to be able to control the encampments that are currently in place...
Some will fall by the wayside as they realise it's not the same as a luxury hotel and comes with its own share of hassles & aggravations.
But others will love it.

Local authorities are always behind the curve... be it trying to hold back the wave Canute style or embracing & developing facilities.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2021
Hilton Road, Fenstanton, Huntingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50
Exp
Since 2009.
In January, I managed to get on the site at Cabapino. No booking just have to arrive early and hope someone is leaving. Did not get a sunny pitch though. most of those are booked for January / February 2024

I managed to get a pitch at Cabapino, with no booking. Just arrived early and was lucky someone was be leaving. I did not get a sunny pitch though. The best ones are already booked for January / February 2024. Now though quite a few sites, have motorhomes waiting in the parking area.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Algarve Motorhome Parks

Ian
Last year I gave them a phone call four days in advance.
I spent the night before on the Aire at Ayemonte and promised to be at Tavira
before 11.00am which was easy.

On arrival there was a bucket reserving our spot and that of our travelling companions.
It helps if you can give them an indication of how long you intend to stay.

Good Luck!

PS It might be helpful if someone who is at Tavira provides their phone number.

I rang them last year but I don't know how I got the number and haven't got it now.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I’m pretty sure THIS camperstop at Los Alcazares on the Mar Menor will have spaces, and others in the vicinity too.
No it hasn't we were at Mar Menor and the only place we found at Los Alcazares was the free parking spot near there they're fully booked to the end of February just like all 4 other sites around the town

So we came back to Camping El Torres in La Vila Joiosa - and heading to Valencia in a week or so and it's full here and Camping Alicante Imperium is stuffed too even with it's new Roma pitch area now open (Roma Pitches can take a Concord or Morrello )

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I am so undecided. We are in S Spain on a campsite which we prebook every year but needs a minimum stay to do that. BUT we miss our tours of 4- 5 weeks getting here. We come mainly for the weather but looking at jumartoo pictures it really reminds me of what we used to do. Just need to pluck up the courage to say goodbye nice sunny pitch on campsite and go back to the proper Spanish travel. If @ jumartoo you could let me have your itinerary it may just give me a few ideas for next time. Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back