Struggling in Spain (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
I am a newbie ex caravaner for 40years
We set off nearly two weeks ago from the euro tunnel taking the western route and we are now in Villajoyosa but we are struggling to get any further down the coast as every camp site or paying Aire is fully booked until the end of February .
we are using the usual Campercontact , ACSI and Search for sites .
If I’d have know this would be the situation I would have pre booked months ago although that in itself spoils the concept of travelling in a motorhome?
Any ideas?

Solution2
Everyone and his/her mother want to be coastal in Spain at this time of year. We're travelling inland at the moment and its very quiet, during the week, at least. We're on camperstop near Valdepeñas and we have one German neighbour.

Last night we were in Úbeda and there were about 7 motorhomes there, but that's a touristic town.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
If you are on the Imperium I know about 6 Brit vans on that I know I went there for 6 years I think another Funster is staying there but can’t remember his name

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Millsy's
Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
I am a newbie ex caravaner for 40years
If you are on the Imperium I know about 6 Brit vans on that I know I went there for 6 years I think another Funster is staying there but can’t remember his name
No I'm not on the Imperium I’m on Camping El Torres , speaking to a Dutch gentleman on my last site and he was booked to go to the Imperium this week and that he said that they will be on a overflow piece of land next to it as it was full . This is an example of what’s going on out here .

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you , I did look at this website but it had a privacy warning on it ?

I was speaking to the receptionist at the site that I’m on at the moment and she said that 95% of the campers this year are from Northern Europe and that they block book for 5 months at a time and she also added that I was very lucky to get a pitch for a few days !! and as far as I can see I am the only Brit on site out of 120 pitches , it may be the cost of living crisis accounting for the Brits absence but if there one they wouldn’t be able to get on here anyway !
And I bet all those EU campers there for that period of time are doing so illegally! Even though they are EU residents they can only stay legally in Spain for 3 months and if wanting to stay longer they have to register with the police as a resident, albeit not a permanent one. I can’t remember the finer details now of the prices of registering but that came in around 2012.

In addition to what jumar said I recall speaking to a French neighbour who was with us for a number of weeks on the Mar Menor one October. He said his generation hated President Macron for all the changes he was imposing on them. So as a result he said many campers were no longer camping in France. This was around 2017 I think.

It made sense as we had come down the coast from France that year and noticed lots of the sites were busier than usual, and some even full in late September! We also noticed lots more French than previous years and more Scandinavian campers, which used to be rare. They said they were getting away from the cold 😜

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We’ve just managed to get a place on Eco Area los Alcazares for one night, we wondered where all the Morelos and Concordes were in Spain, think we’ve found them and added +1

We’ve only been here an hr and 10 other motorhomes have been turned away 🤷‍♀️ the owner has said it’s never been as busy

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Reading some of the above replies, leads me to think that some folk haven't been in Spain since the Pandemic, well it's changed quite a lot since then..last year we put the blame on the ferry link between Spain and Morocco causing severe congestion here on the Costas...
Well that link is open now...so what's the real reason for a worsening situation..I certainly do not know...perhaps all other nationalities now come to Spain knowing there are less Brits here now..😃😃😃 But joking apart, I really don't know where all of this is leading, we generally look forward to when many start migrating north again....this gives us residents with motorhomes greater freedom to travel again...this generally starts about....🤔

A few years ago just after the B word when most were saying that they will miss us English and the sites would be empty…😂🤣😂🤣
I believe yourself and I said the spaces will be filled by the Germans French and Dutch…😆😎

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thank you , I did look at this website but it had a privacy warning on it ?

I was speaking to the receptionist at the site that I’m on at the moment and she said that 95% of the campers this year are from Northern Europe and that they block book for 5 months at a time and she also added that I was very lucky to get a pitch for a few days !! and as far as I can see I am the only Brit on site out of 120 pitches , it may be the cost of living crisis accounting for the Brits absence but if there one they wouldn’t be able to get on here anyway !
Yes & those who can't get on free camp everywhere. My mate is parked up in a town & everyone else is French,Dutch & belgian.
that they will be on a overflow piece of land next to it as it was full . This is an example of what’s going on out here .
as above it is the same everywhere. This year there is now not a day goes past that there isn't 2 or 3 motorhomes overnighting in our local hypermarket car park. there are so many French here it makes you wonder whay they aren't in morocco? A few years back it was rare to ever see a French motorhome around here in winter time.

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
And I bet all those EU campers there for that period of time are doing so illegally! Even though they are EU residents they can only stay legally in Spain for 3 months and if wanting to stay longer they have to register with the police as a resident, albeit not a permanent one. I can’t remember the finer details now of the prices of registering but that came in around 2012.

They aren't illegal, but they are classed as "irregular". They can be fined (a nominal anount) but can't be made to leave. If, however, they overstay the 183 days then they are illegal, if they don't register to pay Spanish tax.

(Exactly the same as the Brits could, "once upon a time" 🤭)

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I’m on Imperium until the end of February, plenty of Dutch who stay for 6 months and a few German vans and probably 10 or so Brits.
We have booked for next January and February and paid a deposit which is refundable if we cancel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No I'm not on the Imperium I’m on Camping El Torres , speaking to a Dutch gentleman on my last site and he was booked to go to the Imperium this week and that he said that they will be on a overflow piece of land next to it as it was full . This is an example of what’s going on out here .
You would have been better on Imperium as it’s a short walk into town or the tram station.
The overflow bit as you call it is a new extension to the site and perfectly okay.
We did have a coffee at Torres last week while out on our bikes but it’s too far out of town for a long term stay.

Upvote 1
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
They aren't illegal, but they are classed as "irregular". They can be fined (a nominal anount) but can't be made to leave. If, however, they overstay the 183 days then they are illegal, if they don't register to pay Spanish tax.

(Exactly the same as the Brits could, "once upon a time" 🤭)
Thanks for that but I was pretty certain that the 183 days was the old pre 2012 rules and then Spain changed their laws to 90 days, as many other EU countries were at that time. Similar to us allowing visitors to stay 180 days now and always have

So my understanding was if you stayed more than 90 days, after the law changes, you had to register at the foreigners office and if you hadn’t but stayed longer you were illegal.

The Brits couldn’t legally stay more than 90 days in recent years pre Brexit

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We started our Villajoiosa camping at the OLD Camping del Torres, right on the beach and next to Camping Hercules, next to Camping Sertorium. Very, very, happy days before the speculators got their beady eyes on the land.

Their projects never took off, they way they had hoped, but they caused a lot of angst to people with statics on all three sites.

Anyway, that was years ago, now.

We've been to so many places, northern, and southern, hemisphere since then. The rest of the world is a wonderful place to visit.

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for that but I was pretty certain that the 183 days was the old pre 2012 rules and then Spain changed their laws to 90 days, as many other EU countries were at that time. Similar to us allowing visitors to stay 180 days now and always have

So my understanding was if you stayed more than 90 days, after the law changes, you had to register at the foreigners office and if you hadn’t but stayed longer you were illegal.

The Brits couldn’t legally stay more than 90 days in recent years pre Brexit

You are partly right, but, for EU country residents, if they don't register they are classed as "irregular " not illegal. The same as Brits pre Brexit.

The illegal bit, then, and now, is over the 183 days, when the tax bit comes into play.

In the UK, I think, the 180 days is the cut off for visitors, but, not having to register, who knows how long someone has been there??? (Maybe someone, more in the know than me, can clarify that point).

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
On the tax aspect, if one is over 180/183 days and becomes tax liable, what is the situation if one's whole income is taxable and paid in UK, then what are the implications under the double-taxation rules?

Is there any additional tax to pay in Spain?

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
On the tax aspect, if one is over 180/183 days and becomes tax liable, what is the situation if one's whole income is taxable and paid in UK, then what are the implications under the double-taxation rules?

Is there any additional tax to pay in Spain?

Maybe.

If you are tax resident in Spain and your taxable, only in the UK, income tax is less than the tax payable in Spain, then you may need to pay the difference.

A good tax accountant, knowing both country's procedures, is well worth paying.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've given up after the last site we were on, normally with lots of spaces, told us we couldn't extend our reservation as they were fully booked. They did comment that this was highly unusual.
All the wildcamping places were full and we were turned away from several sites. We even found brand new camperstops, already full!
So for that, and admittedly a couple of other reasons, we're on our way home.
Ironically plenty of room on Aires through central and northern Spain - but it's very cold out of the sun.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Usually space at Las Palmeras, at Crevillent, near Elche. Lovely site, in the ACSI discount scheme.

Pic taken 6th Feb 2019. (y)

IMG_20190206_135221547.jpg

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're in Valdapeñas today. Not a million miles inland, but not over busy, although there are a mix of different nationalities here.

The sky was blue this morning, but the breeze was cold. It's WINTER is Spain as well as the rest of the northern hemisphere. Stick it out for a few days, or a week or so, then Spring temperatures will be with us.

DSCN3084~2.JPG
DSCN3077~2.JPG

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This searching for campsites sounds so stressful.

Try aires or wildcamping for relaxation. ;) :giggle:
Hi Geoff, you need to be here right now to experience the situation for yourself...
Visitors want Spanish wintersun, Aires are rammed, wilding is causing problems for the authorities and coastal residents... neighbouring region to ours here in Murcia are having to buy up land to put a stop to the encampments that we are presented with....it's totally out of hand...we are seeing larger number of motorhomes on some inland Aires because of the coastal overcrowding...normally we would be alone and there to ride, walk etc...

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We started our Villajoiosa camping at the OLD Camping del Torres, right on the beach and next to Camping Hercules, next to Camping Sertorium. Very, very, happy days before the speculators got their beady eyes on the land.

Their projects never took off, they way they had hoped, but they caused a lot of angst to people with statics on all three sites.

Anyway, that was years ago, now.

We've been to so many places, northern, and southern, hemisphere since then. The rest of the world is a wonderful place to visit.

We spent two very happy winters there.
It was criminal what they did to it, it was a brilliant site although we did meet some very dodgy characters on there. It was certainly a learning curve for our kids.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A fair few of the previously permitted wild camping/parking areas in Southern Spain have been made no go areas for motorhomes, campers etc, consequently those that are still available are being heavily used as are the sites, we've never seen it so busy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back