Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (8 Viewers)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Same for me tbh. I did think about the conversion, but never got round to it.
I'm happy with my 400ah lithium setup to use inverter for now and switch off as required.
If I was short on power then I'd probably add another battery at the rate the prices are now compared to last year.
to be honest i keep thinking about it but i have 460ah lithium and have never come close to using up this amount with how we use it and the convenience of being able to control it remotely is def a bonus

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
I was wondering with the hefty monthly price tag for starlink, there must be UK comms companies out there who could work out a sim deal for less than that.

Surely if you went to them and said I'm willing to part with say £80 a month data only but I'm buggering off to Europe for a few months so not wanting any of your roaming or fair usage malarkey they would find something suitable?

I'll be following your Starlink thread regardless as it is very interesting.
I am using an unlimited eSIM from Airhub is $32 for 39 days for whole of Europe - working very well. Just get it when I need it.

It’s working so well I am thinking of getting a second one :)

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Thought I’d share a very easy 12V conversion for anyone that’s interested that doesn’t involve any cable cutting and re-terminating in RJ45. All the bits are from Amazon/eBay and includes a remote switch to turn everything off when not needed. The router is a Pyramid Pi that has VPN built in.
My main reason for doing this is that it will be easier to fit in to the space I have rather than using an inverter and the SL router. All the bits are very small and should look nice and neat when installed. Plus, there’s only one small grey box that needs to be visible/accessible for me to plug the dishy cable in to when it’s deployed, everything else will be hidden away in a cupboard.
In this test set up, It fluctuates between 30W to 100W through a cigarette lighter socket on an Ecoflow power bank but its searching for satellites rather than being connected to any as I haven’t actually activated the service yet as I don’t need to for a couple of months.
I didn’t want to cut any cables so finding the new little grey boxes on Amazon encouraged me to get the bits an do the 12V conversion. Hope this helps anyone that’s interested…

IMG_2180.jpeg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thought I’d share a very easy 12V conversion for anyone that’s interested that doesn’t involve any cable cutting and re-terminating in RJ45. All the bits are from Amazon/eBay and includes a remote switch to turn everything off when not needed. The router is a Pyramid Pi that has VPN built in.
My main reason for doing this is that it will be easier to fit in to the space I have rather than using an inverter and the SL router. All the bits are very small and should look nice and neat when installed. Plus, there’s only one small grey box that needs to be visible/accessible for me to plug the dishy cable in to when it’s deployed, everything else will be hidden away in a cupboard.
In this test set up, It fluctuates between 30W to 100W through a cigarette lighter socket on an Ecoflow power bank but its searching for satellites rather than being connected to any as I haven’t actually activated the service yet as I don’t need to for a couple of months.
I didn’t want to cut any cables so finding the new little grey boxes on Amazon encouraged me to get the bits an do the 12V conversion. Hope this helps anyone that’s interested…

View attachment 890707
Very nice.
Do you have (hyper) links to the products you used?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Very nice.
Do you have (hyper) links to the products you used?

Ian
Hi bigtwin

Here you go…

POE thingy https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQC4321X?tag=mhf04-21
Dishy cable to RJ45 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQLD84W4?tag=mhf04-21
12V to 48V step up https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BHYRMPXL?tag=mhf04-21
USB module https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BGBSQR1F?tag=mhf04-21
Fuse https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09B9QYS6W?tag=mhf04-21
Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09CH2V3F6?tag=mhf04-21
Remote switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MQ8QL73?tag=mhf04-21

I got the various ring and fork crimp terminals from eBay, there are loads of sellers but you may well have some knocking around in the garage in that “box of stuff that you might just need” that everyone seems to have 😂

Hope that helps 👍🏻

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

View attachment 890707

Good work! 👍🏻

One thing I would suggest is to use a smaller fuse… looks like you’ve a 30 breaker on there. I’ve been using a 7.5A fuse for over four months and it runs fine on my 12v setup.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Sooooo…

I’ve been playing with Starlink’s website. It keeps pushing me back to UK, but I’ve now done a whole order process on the Spanish site and got to a point where I now fully understand the costs.

The price compared to the UK is quite frankly staggering. I’m currently paying £85/month on Roam, if I buy the standard service (not basic) in Spain it’s only €59/month on Roam. That’s circa £50, so saving me £35 per month.

The new hardware is €229 (Gen2) so it won’t take me too long to get the reinvestment back on the kit and I will have a spare cable to boot!

I’ve a question for those who have bought in Spain, how quick did your hardware get delivered? I’m only here for another week which could be a bit too tight for delivery?
Not sure about delivery times for Spain as I opted to purchase in Germany as the monthly rate was €50 and Spain was €59 as the Spanish government apply a €9 surcharge. Delivery took 10 days, my mate lives in Spain and ordered about 5 months ago and he had a 3 week wait. I think your cutting it fine for 7 days.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Not sure about delivery times for Spain as I opted to purchase in Germany as the monthly rate was €50 and Spain was €59 as the Spanish government apply a €9 surcharge. Delivery took 10 days, my mate lives in Spain and ordered about 5 months ago and he had a 3 week wait. I think your cutting it fine for 7 days.

Yeah, I’ve decided to address this when we are back out later this year! ✔️

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Yeah, I’ve decided to address this when we are back out later this year! ✔️
Only issue there is they have moved to Gen 3 by then. By what I read Gen 3 is more power hungry than Gen 2

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Very good point! 🫤

Maybe I just keep paying my £85 and get on with life! 😉
How long have you been in Spain? Can you not change your address in settings to Spanish address and this shall be backed up with the current usage. Try looking on the Facebook Starlink page someone will know the answer. Price disparity is ridiculous, I’m awaiting an email to say they are bumping me to €59 to match current tariffs. So far so good seems it’s not only where you bought the kit but also when you bought it.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
How long have you been in Spain? Can you not change your address in settings to Spanish address and this shall be backed up with the current usage. Try looking on the Facebook Starlink page someone will know the answer. Price disparity is ridiculous, I’m awaiting an email to say they are bumping me to €59 to match current tariffs. So far so good seems it’s not only where you bought the kit but also when you bought it.

Last five and a bit months Starlink usage has been in Spain, but I think it’s roam that is going to screw me over… they (Starlink) are heavily incentivised (revenue differential) to make it very difficult to migrate from one geographical location to another (as your home) when on roam, as arguably roam is there to provide the kind of service I’m using.

Of course, I’m just trying to do it for my own ‘tariff avoidance’ reasons 😇

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
Good work! 👍🏻

One thing I would suggest is to use a smaller fuse… looks like you’ve a 30 breaker on there. I’ve been using a 7.5A fuse for over four months and it runs fine on my 12v setup.
Good point Carpmart I went for the 30A breaker when I was planning for a small inverter rather than 12V. I’ll change it out for an inline fuse holder and try a 7.5A and it’s then easier to go slightly bigger if I need to. I’ve got lots of spare blade fuses 😂

Jun 23, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed Motorhome
Exp
Since 1985
I have been using ID mobile for about 7 years now. £16 a month unlimited data. Never had an issue in Europe ( exc switz) in streaming movies etc . They keep asking me to upgrade to a better option but I'm keeping quite. I used IQ Mobile for swiss ventures

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I have been using ID mobile for about 7 years now. £16 a month unlimited data. Never had an issue in Europe ( exc switz) in streaming movies etc . They keep asking me to upgrade to a better option but I'm keeping quite. I used IQ Mobile for swiss ventures

Thanks for letting us know. 😉

This topic is all about Starlink, a service which effectively providing you with a fibre equivalent service whilst you’re touring Europe in your MoHo.

It’s very good! 👍🏻

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Following this with interest in getting connectivity for our trips to our holiday place in Turkyie does the footprint cover this as far down as Fethyie which is by the Greek Island of Rhodes and could it be ordered to Turkish address or failing that to friends in Romania.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Following this with interest in getting connectivity for our trips to our holiday place in Turkyie does the footprint cover this as far down as Fethyie which is by the Greek Island of Rhodes and could it be ordered to Turkish address or failing that to friends in Romania.

Morning

Being low orbit satellite based, the service is a global one. The restrictions are predominantly commercial and political ones. Turkey looks to not be available at this point, but in reality, you may get service there.

Have a look at the Starlink availability maps.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Morning

Being low orbit satellite based, the service is a global one. The restrictions are predominantly commercial and political ones. Turkey looks to not be available at this point, but in reality, you may get service there.

Have a look at the Starlink availability maps.
Not sure what contract you would need given Turkey is technically not in the European roaming area. Starlink gets very expensive as you drift away from the base packages.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Carpmart how did you power this router, looks like it‘s a 9v input ?

Just completing my shopping list for my conversion👍🏻

Just with a cheapie buck converter, this one from Amazon. The router (mine at least) is 12v. The below converter would allow you to dial it down to 9v if you needed to. Also, I recommend using a volt meter (one you trust) to get the voltage bang on 12v or 9v if that’s what your router needs.

Buck Converter DC-DC Buck... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TKRPB5F?tag=mhf04-21

I also used this remote relay and ran the fused 12v supply I was using for all elements in the 12v system, including the router, through this so it was remote switch on/off with one button.

DieseRC 433Mhz Universal Wireless... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098WGK35L?tag=mhf04-21

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
In terms of power consumption, Dishy Mcflatface still uses a 48v feed, however i posted prviously that one of the techies in Ukraine had worked out that Dishy actually only needs 12v, it uses 48v because of the cable length.

it was copied by a guy in Australia, who posted on Yotube (i posted the link on this thread ages ago) but he went on to do some strange things like painting it all with a black rubberised paint for some reason ...

he does however do some power consumption comparisons that may be of interest ....

Last edited:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, I have bought an Ethernet gizmo to go through the wall of the motorhome so can connect an Ethernet cable to outside and also to inside of motorhome.
Not confident enough to chop my Starlink cable to put Ethernet plugs on each end.
Two options - someone who knows how to chop the cable and is near York to volunteer in return for suitable refreshment reimbursement eg wine etc OR is there a simple adaptor I can buy (one for outside and one for inside) to plug Starlink cable and convert to Ethernet plug???

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So, I have bought an Ethernet gizmo to go through the wall of the motorhome so can connect an Ethernet cable to outside and also to inside of motorhome.
Not confident enough to chop my Starlink cable to put Ethernet plugs on each end.
Two options - someone who knows how to chop the cable and is near York to volunteer in return for suitable refreshment reimbursement eg wine etc OR is there a simple adaptor I can buy (one for outside and one for inside) to plug Starlink cable and convert to Ethernet plug???
Honestly it's just the same as connecting a Network cable it really is that easy (as long as you have the crimps of course and passthrough shielded connectors). If you are ever passing Basingstoke pop in and i will chop it for you, unfortunately i am not passing York anytime soon. Got a trip to Newark in June but that's not near there either.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Another option is to send me the cable and i will add the connectors and send it back, you would just need to cover the return postage but i have to say if paying for that it wont be a lot dearer just to get the tools and do it yourself. I can talk or video call you through it if you want to give it ago

Link to some shielded connectors Here (cheaper ones are available)

Link to the tool needed to crimp them Here (again cheaper ones are available)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It is very easy, the cables are very long, if you get it wrong a few times you will only lose a foot (of cable) at most. Had lots of practice working in data centres. Think I chucked all my crimping stuff away as I generally just use wireless which is annoying now!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is very easy, the cables are very long, if you get it wrong a few times you will only lose a foot (of cable) at most. Had lots of practice working in data centres. Think I chucked all my crimping stuff away as I generally just use wireless which is annoying now!
I also worked in a datacentre. I did a full double rack move once and was halfway through crimping 160+ cables at both ends (320 crimps) with a fairly low decent failure rate/redo rate.
Decided I think on the 50th odd cable I was never going to crimp again. Since then I have always bought pre-crimped cables and threw my tools in the bin.

ceejayt you might want to look at split grommets as with these you drill a hole big enough to fit the connector through. then feed the split grommet onto the cable and slide it along with some sealant into the hole.
I have not looked at them in a long while but I seem to recall there are some for double walls and single walls and I am sure one would be suitable for a panel van or even a coachbuilt.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all. This is what I have currently to fit through the wall if the motorhome …

From amazon

Will think about your kind suggestions
Ahh you want to snip the Starlink cable and connect it to this? That is a bit different and my suggestion is no use at all :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back