Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I just got a link to this via email.

Starlink Offer 50% Discount for Gen 2 Dishys

As I posted before here in spain the rate is 40€/month + a 9€ gov.es access fee . Starlink offer a rental instead of buying at 10€/month if you wish to try before buying or just wish to rent.
Additionally ,so I am told by someone who is going down the rental route, they also offer a 50% reduction in the 40€/month if you acccept "restricted speeds " on occasions but with speed no lower than 100Mb.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
As I posted before here in spain the rate is 40€/month + a 9€ gov.es access fee . Starlink offer a rental instead of buying at 10€/month if you wish to try before buying or just wish to rent.
Additionally ,so I am told by someone who is going down the rental route, they also offer a 50% reduction in the 40€/month if you acccept "restricted speeds " on occasions but with speed no lower than 100Mb.
We are shafted again in UK😢😢😢

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
IMG_3028.png

Interesting new red background???

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I have to say. We fired it up on Friday for the first time. We are away for 60 days so relaxing travels is the way.
What a difference. No more data shuffling and searching for free WiFi. The speed is amazing. I’m watching the Newcastle match on Saturday other half is watching clarksons farm on firestick. No problem buffering.
I did find that my virginmedia channels worked without vpn. But wouldn’t when I had vpn turned on.
Main thing is that they worked and Newcastle won
Happy days
It’s not cheap for starlink but now on night 4 here and all free nights on Aires I’ll accept that.
I can only. Recommend Starlink

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I have to say. We fired it up on Friday for the first time. We are away for 60 days so relaxing travels is the way.
What a difference. No more data shuffling and searching for free WiFi. The speed is amazing. I’m watching the Newcastle match on Saturday other half is watching clarksons farm on firestick. No problem buffering.
I did find that my virginmedia channels worked without vpn. But wouldn’t when I had vpn turned on.
Happy days
It’s not cheap for starlink but now on night 4 here and all free nights on Aires I’ll accept that.

I’m just over a year in now and it’s still a game changer. ✔️

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I’m just over a year in now and it’s still a game changer. ✔️
I think if like us you are away for longer periods it definitely is.
We are almost living in the van. It’s not like a 2 week holiday. We will spend some time watching a film or sporting event. We have the time to do it.
Not done the 12v fixed on the roof yet as I’m not sure. But will see if any companies start doing the conversion and fit.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Happy days

12v setup?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
As above.

Not done 12v yet. Not as confident as some on doing the conversion.
I run it on the power bank when off grid at the moment. I turn it off when not in use at end of the day

It’s really not difficult to do the 12v conversion (if I can do it, anyone can!) and IMHO, well worth the modest investment and effort. ✔️

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It’s really not difficult to do the 12v conversion (if I can do it, anyone can!) and IMHO, well worth the modest investment and effort. ✔️
Did I see someone use the tv status Ariel position.
We have one and its not used that has 12v to it

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Hi All,

I’m new to both motorhoming and Starlink and have a question for you ‘experts’…

We now have a delivery date of our first Motorhome of late June/early July and it’s a Fiat Ducato PVC. I’m going to put a Van Star E-Cross bike carrier on the back. I’ve got a Starlink for our internet connection.

I’d like to mount the SL on a pole that fits/clamps to one of the uprights on the E-Cross (see picture that I’ve pinched from Aji (who I hope doesn’t mind).

I’d like the pole to be around 2m in length so that the dish (gen. 2 standard actuated) sits just above the roof of the van when in use.

When travelling, I’d remove the dish but would like to leave the pole but I think it would look a bit silly travelling with a 2m long pole fixed to the rack so…. Ideally I’d like a pole thats extendable from around 0.5m to 2m or a pole that I can disassemble in short pieces whilst leaving the bottom part attached to the bike carrier.

Basically, whilst travelling I’d like the pole to be as short as possible but still clamped to the uprights and able to be extended or ‘built’ when stopped.

I hope I’ve explained myself well enough for you to be able to give me any ideas that you may have…

Thanks, Ian

IMG_2119.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
do you have a local 'fabricator' who could make something to your own spec, as it would be removed for travelling, and the pieces could be made to a length that fits your 'storage space'? it doesnt have to be anything substantial, although you might like the 'fixed' section to have greater rigidity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
do you have a local 'fabricator' who could make something to your own spec, as it would be removed for travelling, and the pieces could be made to a length that fits your 'storage space'? it doesnt have to be anything substantial, although you might like the 'fixed' section to have greater rigidity.
Thanks MisterB,

I don’t really know anybody locally who could do this but I will have a Google and see if I can find anyone… ideally I’d like an ‘off the shelf’ solution but recognise that may be hard to come by 🤔

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Surely you just need 30 or 40cm of ally tube permanently fixed to the rack and the requisit length of a smaller diameter to slot in to it?

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
A old two piece windsurfer mast would do the job? Easy to cut the top and bottom to suit the length you need.

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
Surely you just need 30 or 40cm of ally tube permanently fixed to the rack and the requisit length of a smaller diameter to slot in to it?
Thanks Onemanandhisdog.

Yep, that would work but the smaller diameter pole would have to be around 2m long and I’ll not really have anywhere to store a long pole when travelling, hence me being after an extendable or sectional ‘something’

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
A old two piece windsurfer mast would do the job? Easy to cut the top and bottom to suit the length you need.
Are windsurfer masts hollow?

I’m not at all familiar with them!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

We now have a delivery date of our first Motorhome of late June/early July and it’s a Fiat Ducato PVC. I’m going to put a Van Star E-Cross bike carrier on the back. I’ve got a Starlink for our internet connection.

I’d like to mount the SL on a pole that fits/clamps to one of the uprights on the E-Cross (see picture that I’ve pinched from Aji (who I hope doesn’t mind).

I’d like the pole to be around 2m in length so that the dish (gen. 2 standard actuated) sits just above the roof of the van when in use.

When travelling, I’d remove the dish but would like to leave the pole but I think it would look a bit silly travelling with a 2m long pole fixed to the rack so…. Ideally I’d like a pole thats extendable from around 0.5m to 2m or a pole that I can disassemble in short pieces whilst leaving the bottom part attached to the bike carrier.

Basically, whilst travelling I’d like the pole to be as short as possible but still clamped to the uprights and able to be extended or ‘built’ when stopped.

I hope I’ve explained myself well enough for you to be able to give me any ideas that you may have…

Thanks, Ian

View attachment 886323
SpaceX sell their own pole which comes in two halves. You could u-bolt the bottom half permanently to the rack.
Pop in the top half with the dishy already on. Bonus is that it is made for this and you won't need to buy the additional adapters.
£75 when I bought mine.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Thanks, Ian

View attachment 886323

PS: If you want to see what it looks like I can unpack mine and take some pictures.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Yes windsurfer masts are holllow and light, older ones are glass fibre, newer ones are carbon fibre. It all depends if you can find a local with a damaged one which he will part with for a nominal cost. My old one is now holding up a bird feeder and the broken bottom half supports a small coffee table for the Moho. 😀

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
SpaceX sell their own pole which comes in two halves. You could u-bolt the bottom half permanently to the rack.
Pop in the top half with the dishy already on. Bonus is that it is made for this and you won't need to buy the additional adapters.
£75 when I bought mine.
Thanks Gromett ,

A picture or two would be great please if it’s not too much hassle… looking at the SL website, it’s not clear that it comes in 2 halves so I guess that each half is just over a metre long?

Cheers, Ian

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Gromett ,

A picture or two would be great please if it’s not too much hassle… looking at the SL website, it’s not clear that it comes in 2 halves so I guess that each half is just over a metre long?

Cheers, Ian

Here you go.

1713271747996.png

1713271782257.png

1713271810727.png

1713271835980.png

When put together they measure this;

1713271873841.png

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Fragle

Here is how I modified my status aerial thingy.

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
Fragle

Here is how I modified my status aerial thingy.

Thanks Fragle

I’d like to avoid cutting a hole in the roof of my van if at all possible, hence the pole option and running the cable through a window insert with an appropriate grommet.

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
I think I may have found an answer to my conundrum… sold by Amazon US but with free delivery if I wait 2 weeks which isn’t a problem as our van is 6-10 weeks away.

If I’m wrong, it’s a reasonably expensive mistake but I’ve ordered it now and will keep my fingers crossed that it’s what I’m after.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

IMG_2123.jpeg

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think I may have found an answer to my conundrum… sold by Amazon US but with free delivery if I wait 2 weeks which isn’t a problem as our van is 6-10 weeks away.

If I’m wrong, it’s a reasonably expensive mistake but I’ve ordered it now and will keep my fingers crossed that it’s what I’m after.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

View attachment 886479
Maybe a bit late for you now but on ebay there are 3 section aerial poles which extend to 2.59M (3 section TV aerial antenna mast) £29.99.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back