Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (5 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think I may have found an answer to my conundrum… sold by Amazon US but with free delivery if I wait 2 weeks which isn’t a problem as our van is 6-10 weeks away.

If I’m wrong, it’s a reasonably expensive mistake but I’ve ordered it now and will keep my fingers crossed that it’s what I’m after.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

View attachment 886479
Good luck with that. There is no way I would trust 6" of ground spike with all that weight up top and that much leverage.
Hope it works ok for you.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Doesn't seem enough for my liking.
1713290333520.png

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Good luck with that. There is no way I would trust 6" of ground spike with all that weight up top and that much leverage.
Hope it works ok for you.
Gromett i won’t be using the ground spike, it just comes with the kit.

I’ll attach one of the lengths to the bike carrier uprights with clamps and then screw the other 3 or 4 lengths in (depending on what’s needed) when I stop.

They’re about 55cm each so easy to store when travelling with only the bottom 55cm length clamped to the carrier.

Hopefully they will be easy to erect and take down, and will be pretty un-noticeable when travelling.

Fingers crossed!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think I may have found an answer to my conundrum… sold by Amazon US but with free delivery if I wait 2 weeks which isn’t a problem as our van is 6-10 weeks away.

If I’m wrong, it’s a reasonably expensive mistake but I’ve ordered it now and will keep my fingers crossed that it’s what I’m after.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

View attachment 886479
Let us know how good this is. Will it really support the weight of the dish in the wind with just a screw in ground peg which looks to be only 6 inches long?

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Let us know how good this is. Will it really support the weight of the dish in the wind with just a screw in ground peg which looks to be only 6 inches long?
I won’t be using the ground spike, it just comes with the kit. The kit was the same price with or without the ground spike so I thought I may as well have it 🤔

I’ll attach one of the lengths of tube to the bike carrier uprights with clamps and then screw the other 3 or 4 lengths in (depending on what’s needed) when I stop.

They’re about 55cm each so easy to store when travelling with only the bottom 55cm length clamped to the carrier.

Hopefully they will be easy to erect and take down, and will be pretty un-noticeable when travelling.

Fingers crossed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I won’t be using the ground spike, it just comes with the kit. The kit was the same price with or without the ground spike so I thought I may as well have it 🤔

I’ll attach one of the lengths of tube to the bike carrier uprights with clamps and then screw the other 3 or 4 lengths in (depending on what’s needed) when I stop.

Fingers crossed!
OK. Let me know what the ground spike is like. I have nothing to screw a pole to on mine

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Fingers crossed!

Saw this Lenny333 and thought of you!

IMG_3167.png

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Sooooo…

I’ve been playing with Starlink’s website. It keeps pushing me back to UK, but I’ve now done a whole order process on the Spanish site and got to a point where I now fully understand the costs.

The price compared to the UK is quite frankly staggering. I’m currently paying £85/month on Roam, if I buy the standard service (not basic) in Spain it’s only €59/month on Roam. That’s circa £50, so saving me £35 per month.

The new hardware is €229 (Gen2) so it won’t take me too long to get the reinvestment back on the kit and I will have a spare cable to boot!

I’ve a question for those who have bought in Spain, how quick did your hardware get delivered? I’m only here for another week which could be a bit too tight for delivery?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Sooooo…

I’ve been playing with Starlink’s website. It keeps pushing me back to UK, but I’ve now done a whole order process on the Spanish site and got to a point where I now fully understand the costs.

The price compared to the UK is quite frankly staggering. I’m currently paying £85/month on Roam, if I buy the standard service (not basic) in Spain it’s only €59/month on Roam. That’s circa £50, so saving me £35 per month.

The new hardware is €229 (Gen2) so it won’t take me too long to get the reinvestment back on the kit and I will have a spare cable to boot!

I’ve a question for those who have bought in Spain, how quick did your hardware get delivered? I’m only here for another week which could be a bit too tight for delivery?
Hopefully you will share your great work when you get chance .....

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
As I previously reported I usually cable tie the dishy mounting pole to my bike rack. However on a recent trip to Spain I had to back into a pitch that was covered by a tree. We were due to be on the pitch for a month. Disaster was averted by utilising the cheap windbreak that we carry around. The triangular supports in each direction made a very stable configuration. At the base of the pole I used two orange top rock pegs (from ALDI) hammered into the ground. The two together fit perfectly into the internal diameter of the dishy pole mount. The result was extremely stable and we got fab connection speeds throughout our stay.
dishy on windbreak.jpg

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
Hi again…

Another question from a SL newbie… when you do the 12V conversion and discard the SL router, do you still use the SL app for obstructions map, stowing the gen 2 dish etc?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hi again…

Another question from a SL newbie… when you do the 12V conversion and discard the SL router, do you still use the SL app for obstructions map, stowing the gen 2 dish etc?

Yes you do… all the smarts are in the dish and not the router so everything is still functional in the app.

It’s made a fairly significant power consumption difference moving to 12v. ✔️

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Yes you do… all the smarts are in the dish and not the router so everything is still functional in the app.

Have you actually measured the hourly or daily consumption?

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp

Thanks Carpmart
I’m probably going for one of these (see picture) as it doesn’t include any cable cuttting and should fit in with my idea of being able to assemble and dismantle the dish/cable quite easily whilst hiding most of the gubbins out of sight, just leaving the SL to RJ45 box visible to connect the SL cable to.

IMG_2174.png

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The 50% off is ending soon by the looks of it ie 2nd May, also they are doing refurbs now for £150 but i expect that will increase as well from 2nd May.
If you want one better be quick.

1714145721385.png

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I think the difference between 240v and 12v in terms of what uses more has been discussed previously. There is not a lot of saving from one to the other. The reason why people convert to 12v would be just that it's easier for them to use. The system is still going to be very power hungry even on 12v. I have everything I need to convert it but for me it's actually easier to use the invertor as I can then turn off and on remotely the starlink as it's plugged into a WiFi controlled socket.
I don't leave the starlink on when running from the invertor over night. Just turn it off before going to bed. Add in the cost to buy the 12v conversion as well as this is not cheap if going the dishy route. It's all about personal preference I think

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I use the ‘sleep’ option on the Starlink app at night so I assume it stops consuming much power from the inverter. Am I right?
easiest way to check that is to compare power from before and after which is simple if using victron or fogstar etc, i've never used that to be honest.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Of the revised system. I know the original is seriously hungry.

Okay Rodger, I don’t have hard data to substantiate the power consumption saving.

Starlink consumes a variable amount of power depending on what it’s doing, however, Dishy and the TP Link Router (far superior to the Starlink one) now typically shows around a 3.5-4A draw at 13.X volts.

With the standard Starlink kit run through the inverter, I was typically seeing a 5.5-6A draw.

As zac has mentioned, although inverted to his point, going 12v I’ve also significantly improved the ability to power Starlink and the router on/off through a remove relay set-up meaning we switch on when we need and off when we do not.

The consequence of all this is probably circa 50% less power consumed per 24hr period, although some of this savings are down to us power cycling more frequently than before.

PS: anyone else noticed how hot the standard Starlink router gets? That’s obviously wasted energy. Don’t get any of that with the TP Link router!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The consequence of all this is probably circa 50% less power consumed per 24hr period, although some of this savings are down to us power cycling more frequently than before.
I think it's important to note that this is not because of moving from 240v to 12v but in how you are now using it as there is no 50% saving in power going from 240v to 12v, there are some youtube videos on people that have done a proper comparison and i think even everlanders did one at the end of his dishy conversion to show the difference.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think it's important to note that this is not because of moving from 240v to 12v but in how you are now using it as there is no 50% saving in power going from 240v to 12v, there are some youtube videos on people that have done a proper comparison and i think even everlanders did one at the end of his dishy conversion to show the difference.

You will see I acknowledged this point Zac. 😇

As for what others have experienced, well YouTube is YouTube. I’ve the utmost respect for Everlanders, but most are not so precise as him.

I can only say what I see in the real world, non theoretical situation which is 1.5-2.5A less draw at 13v. ✔️

Reactions: zac

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
it's actually easier to use the invertor
Same for me tbh. I did think about the conversion, but never got round to it.
I'm happy with my 400ah lithium setup to use inverter for now and switch off as required.
If I was short on power then I'd probably add another battery at the rate the battery prices are now compared to last year.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I use the ‘sleep’ option on the Starlink app at night so I assume it stops consuming much power from the inverter. Am I right?
So just sat here reading though the thread.

All new to Starlink this trip and we are using power bank 240v and turn off at night. I have just seen sleep option and have taken 2 photos one in use one sleep mode
As you can see clearly 42w in normal use running firestick
Sleep mode and it goes to 23w

I personally will turn it off at night or when not required as it has so far taken 5 minutes to sort itself out and be working

Hope this helps

IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back