LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Less than 600 groats, it'll be good to hear how it performs.

Doesn't bloody include Scotland :cry:

Cheers
Red

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
1653379638470.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As a standalone unit it will be inconvenient and prone to being nicked! (Unless you have a decent motorhome alarm with an external protection circuit to alarm the dish when it is outside ;))

I think it "could" become the go to product once the price of usage is more reasonable and it can be roof mounted.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As a standalone unit it will be inconvenient and prone to being nicked! (Unless you have a decent motorhome alarm with an external protection circuit to alarm the dish when it is outside ;))

I think it "could" become the go to product once the price of usage is more reasonable and it can be roof mounted.
And would eliminate both the MH WiFi kit and satellite TV dishes. As you say it depends what the price comes down to

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Your version of cheap is considerably different to mine.

Why would you pay over £100/month when you can buy local sims with high or unlimited data for £25 (€30)/month.
Exactly my point the high cost of satellite internet makes mobile internet look cheap

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
In the UK I’m paying £10 for 60gb limited to 12gb when Roaming, however that’s when local SIM’s come in.

Mine can all be used whilst on the move.

I’m struggling to see the value in such systems……it’s a question not a statement, so what are the advantages? 🤷‍♂️

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In the UK I’m paying £10 for 60gb limited to 12gb when Roaming, however that’s when local SIM’s come in.

Mine can all be used whilst on the move.

I’m struggling to see the value in such systems……it’s a question not a statement, so what are the advantages? 🤷‍♂️
If you're in northern Africa and want internet coverage or remote areas of North America I can see the point. Otherwise it's going to be a gimmick

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just re-read your post I interpreted it incorrectly it can be taken either way if you read it quickly.
I suspect were going to have to get used to the terminology as it becomes used more. I'm tight so the current satellite internet cost is a big no

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
If you compare an early adopter use case on a relatively immature product directly with a well established approach (4G), the early adoption seems like poor value for money. This is often the case. An iPod seemed expensive compared to a Walkman, as did an iPhone to a Nokia device, a DVD player compared to a VHS or indeed a colour TV when you had a perfectly good B&W in the lounge.

This kind of tech will become way cheaper over time. £60 a month and I’d jump straight in, so it’s just a price point discussion as far as I’m concerned.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have been looking at purchasing this system for a while now and as the download speeds and availability have increased over the past 18 months or so it is becoming a viable option as the prices have been dropping. There is no data cap as of yet and the flexibility of a fixed monthly price makes it ideal for motor homing, just activate the service when you go away for that month or two or three. The far North of Scotland and Scandinavia will be available from the start of 2023 which will give coverage from the tip of Norway down to Sicily and Gib in the South. I will probably pull the trigger in the near future as I rely on a stable internet connection when away for other things rather than for just watching TV and surfing.

1653391722242.png

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have been looking at purchasing this system for a while now and as the download speeds and availability have increased over the past 18 months or so it is becoming a viable option as the prices have been dropping. There is no data cap as of yet and the flexibility of a fixed monthly price makes it ideal for motor homing, just activate the service when you go away for that month or two or three. The far North of Scotland and Scandinavia will be available from the start of 2023 which will give coverage from the tip of Norway down to Sicily and Gib in the South. I will probably pull the trigger in the near future as I rely on a stable internet connection when away for other things rather than for just watching TV and surfing.

View attachment 621895
I think if you have a special need for broadband it could be really good but a bit like mobile phones when they first came out a minority market

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Been to 6 different countries now with our present trip away with my Netgear and EE sim watching Netflix on 4K have not had any issues or buffering so I cannot see the value in Starlink unless you are in a remote area with no data signal.
Probably rules out about 95% of the places people travel to.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We bought a second hand sat internet system in 2002 and had it for eight years whilst fulltiming with our kids.
It cost us £1500 to buy and was on a 2 metre dish on a tripod.
It cost about £70 a month. The download was slow but the whole thing was totally invaluable to us at the time. It never ever let us down.

That was then and times have changed but for some ( if Starlink is as good as they say) it looks like a great deal to a limited motorhome market.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
If starlink is good enough to run a government then its good enough for me when I need it, not UK or EU

Ive just had the same conversation with my brother who sent me the link

If I was away and need bomb proof light speed Internet this would be my first port of call or if I lived in the middle of now where I'd be happy to give Elon my money

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In Europe, 4G coverage is so good, I'm not sure what the draw is. But maybe you go to places with poor coverage.

The issue for me is you have to put the antenna out to use it. So no good on the move, faff to set up and not so great for wild camping and Aires.

Also, it uses a fair amount of power. Not a ton of amps, but it'll add up of you have it on for a few hours.

Give it another couple of generations...

CumbriaPaul

Free Member
Aug 29, 2021
Western side of Lake District
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2016
I've got starlink at home, it's great. Probably more than you need on the road, but unlimited download and anywhere between 40Mbps and 270Mbps but generally averages 80.
It suits me fine as I live in an area in the Lake District with no mobile reception and a 5 mile copper telephone line giving me 0.6Mbps on a good day.
If you look at the map the top half of Scotland isn't covered yet but much of Europe is, let's not mention Ukraine!

Jul 4, 2017
Nowhere and Everywhere
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700 1992
Exp
We full time in our old Hymer and I work remotely (from the van) 6 months of the year, and travel the rest of the year.
Starlink has been a game-changer for me compared to crappy cellular signal. When I’m working I spend most of my days in (video) calls.
Having super fast Wi-Fi (we get around 220mbs down) with no data limits has meant I can work - and fund the next trip!
We no longer need to plan our stops around cellular reception - just throw the dish outside and plug it in.
We’re not on the RV package, just the standard residential one, I just update our service address whenever we move.
This year we plan on taking dishy with us into Europe and paying extra for the “portability” add-on so that we can use it outside of the uk.

Jul 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
I've got Starlink at home and its great. We're only 22 miles from central London but our phone lines are copper and BT Broadband is hopeless. If you're in a rural location like us, and need good broadband for work, then its essential. The system is very reliable and easy to set up too. Eventually the price will come down and everybody will be using it. The motorhome option is interesting and, at some point, I'll probably give it a go. Occasionally we go on holiday and I work from the van. It would mean we don't have to search for C&MC sites with decent internet speeds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back