Specific tyres for a soft ride… (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Are the vantras C or CP tyres ?
Phil
They are an 8 ply "C", but surprisingly have very little side wall bulge under load.
Our rear axle runs normally at around 2150kg and the rear tyres are happy at 67psi in our 225/65R16C's
The main thing I look for in a tyre is the performance in the wet and the Vantra's are a "B".

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
We have found our Hankook Vantra's to be a much comfortable ride over the Continental Vanco's that we had before.
Put on Michelin Agilis Cross Climates to head south after Christmas and could not wait to get the Hankook's back on when we got back.

Such an interesting thread. I have had Continental Vanco's and absolutely loved them for handling and comfort - on a different van to that which I have now.

I am now driving Michelin Agilis CrossClimate which have given me the most comfortable ride and increased fuel economy, and very little road noise. BUT, they are wearing incredibly fast and will not last as long as they should. Apparently this is a known issue with this particular tyre (and the state of roads around here will not be helping).

I don't think there is a particular tyre which will suit all of us - different vans, different driving styles, different use profiles.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just smiffy these might be able to help 😂

IMG_7664.png

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Think yourself lucky you haven't got Michelin CP's far harder ride than Conties.
The Toyo Observe Van I have give a far better ride than CP tyres.

When using as your daily driver have you unloaded the van or do you leave it loaded?
Unloaded it will be a harsher ride.
Unload the van? What's that? :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
I am now driving Michelin Agilis CrossClimate which have given me the most comfortable ride and increased fuel economy, and very little road noise. BUT, they are wearing incredibly fast and will not last as long as they should. Apparently this is a known issue with this particular tyre
Are these the normal van Agilis CrossClimates or the Camper version; I.e. Agilis CrossClimates Camping?

We has the normal van version on our previous van and couldn't wear them out! They had done over 35,000 miles and still had over 6mm of tread when we sold it.

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Maxxis AS2 Winter/All seasons are on our 6M.PVC. Way more comfortable than the Michelin Camper things that came with it. A lot better on slippy wet roads & I had over 20k miles out of the first pair on the front as opposed to 12k off the Michelins.

Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
As Two On Tour said Hankook Vantra we find them very quiet .
I am at present looking for new tyres for my 4 tonne motorhome. Most tyre fitters/companies tend to lean towards Continental vanco tyres but I have asked about Hankook and Toyo as I have heard on this site that they are more comfortable ride. All bit frustrating to me as I don't know which are safest for 4 tonne motorhome 🤔

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Are these the normal van Agilis CrossClimates or the Camper version; I.e. Agilis CrossClimates Camping?

We has the normal van version on our previous van and couldn't wear them out! They had done over 35,000 miles and still had over 6mm of tread when we sold it.

Van version (marked "extra load").
I suspect it is because my poor Bus spends 95% of her time on absolutely atrocious road surfaces 😥

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
The reason you are finding the ride harsh is too much pressure in the tyres BUT it may be that they need that pressure and to reduce it would be more unsatisfactory and perhaps dangerous.
May I suggest that you consider a tyre that is made to work at lower pressures for the same load and therefore gives a more comfortable ride. Try Nokian. I found them not only to be an excellent tyre in all rroad conditions but because the pressure was about 10-12ib less than my previus tyres they gave a far more comfortable ride. I asked and received the required minimum pressures from the manufacturers and used those recomendations on a Warwick Duo.
Ride was much improved and roadholding was noticibly better despite the lower pressures.

Jun 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Overcab coachbuilt
Exp
20yrs
I have continental vancocamper 225/75/16 r cp on my 3500kg fiat ducato 6mtr. Tyres 4-5 years old

The ride is terrible, especially on the back, going over some rough roads there is some serious crashing at the back, I have airbags at the back. No matter what pressure I put in the tyres it’s the same and worse if too high. I used to have 50psi fronts and 55 rears but mpg suffered so now running at fronts 60 and rears 65… I’m going to change the tyres in July/august before my euro trips…

It’s fine on good roads and a little better when I’m fully loaded but horrendous when I’m using the van as my daily driver…

What tyres have any of you experienced that tends to stop the crashing or at least lessons it…🤔
We have just removed camper tyres from our van conversion tribute for the same reason, were in danger of shaking it apart.We would have put Hankooks on as we had them on our previous coachbuilt for yrs but couldn't get our size, so we went with Falken euro all season van11, and noticed the difference as soon as we left tyre fitter's garage, hope to get it even better when fully loaded and poss drop pressures a bit more.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Maxxis AS2 Winter/All seasons are on our 6M.PVC. Way more comfortable than the Michelin Camper things that came with it. A lot better on slippy wet roads & I had over 20k miles out of the first pair on the front as opposed to 12k off the Michelins.
Strange our 4.5t dethleffs traded in 32,500 miles and still plenty of tread though fronts will probably need replacing soon as only about 4mm left but 6 or 7 on rear.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I've just done the same and fitted Agilis Cross Climate Campers all round, and I agree, the change is startling. Apart from the better ride, they are also much quieter on poor surfaces.
Beltie. A misunderstanding there. I'm ditching the Michelin Agilis CP for Michelin CrossClimate Campers. Confusingly the names are very similar but I think the CrossClimate Campers are much better.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
When we need to change our tyres, and before this winter, I will NOT be getting anything with the word 'camper' in the name! Our van is not left stationary for most of its life so will just be getting correctly load rated van tyres that are 3 Peaks rated for European winter travels.

Current favourite is Michelin Agilis CrossClimates.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
When I was uprating my van I looked for the lowest noise rating plus reviews on the manufacturer, this led me to Nankang. I bought the AW8’s which are 3 peak rated, in the now around 4 thousand miles I have done on them I’am very pleased.

Jul 31, 2018
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
I have just fitted Bridgestone 235/65 R16 115. R660 ECO. (7m long coachbuilt up-plated to 4000kg.)

Very good rating for fuel, wet and noise. Not yet tested on long trip, but initial impression is very good.
1715182482615.png

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
When I was uprating my van I looked for the lowest noise rating plus reviews on the manufacturer, this led me to Nankang. I bought the AW8’s which are 3 peak rated, in the now around 4 thousand miles I have done on them I’am very pleased.
They don't appear to be available in 225/75R16.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
On our last MH we changed to Pirelli Carrier Camper tyres which were much quieter and a much smoother ride than the Michelins they replaced. I don’t know if the Pirelli’s are still current.
I have Pirelli carrier all season van tyres on, quietest tyre I’ve ever had, can’t see em being as grippy as my Firestone vanhawk 121 winter tyres (which somebody can have for £50 a corner as I don’t have any spare wheels to run them on in the winter 1500mls only👍) Very happy with the Pirelli carriers👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Will be interesting to see how they wear. I haven't found a Pirelli tyre that provides any decent life. The ride and grip is good but the soft compounds don't last.
I’m happy with grip and short life, I’d rather them grip and go bald than not grip, have loads of tread and start cracking and blow out👍

May 22, 2021
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Elldis acordo 105
Exp
Caravan for 50 years motorhome since 2019
i have tried adjusting pressures and we have semi air on rear, 50 front (1650 kgs ) and 60 rear 2000 kgs ) figures from Toyo on fully loaded axles are 48 frt and 58 rr.

we are obviosly not as light weight as you 2... ;) ( i am about 79 kg and wife is LESS ):giggle:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I could possibly fit wider tyres
Ducato, Boxer and Jumper wheel rims are 6" wide and 225 is the maximum width you can fit on a 75R16 wheel rim.
If you want to go wider, then you will need to go up to at least a 6.5" wide rim, and good luck finding them, and you will have to consider the offset of the wider rim and whether or not it will foul any running gear or bodywork.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have Pirelli carrier all season van tyres on, quietest tyre I’ve ever had, can’t see em being as grippy as my Firestone vanhawk 121 winter tyres (which somebody can have for £50 a corner as I don’t have any spare wheels to run them on in the winter 1500mls only👍) Very happy with the Pirelli carriers👍

What’s the size and age mate…🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back