SOG Fan Broke- Dealers Mark Up is Shocking (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So my factory fitted roof Sog fan broke last weekend, it was working when we got back at Xmas but not anymore. The issue is the actual Fan itself and as my vehicle was going in for it's yearly damp check i decided to get them to look at it. They of course did but what i was not ready for was the cost to replace it which did not include the 1 hour to fit and test, they want £440 just for the fan which is shockingly high as online the same fan can be had for £114 delivered. Of course i have gone for the DIY fit as with the 1 hour of labour that would have brought this to just under the £600 mark, now i am all for making a profit but surely that's a little too much.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So my factory fitted roof Sog fan broke last weekend, it was working when we got back at Xmas but not anymore. The issue is the actual Fan itself and as my vehicle was going in for it's yearly damp check i decided to get them to look at it. They of course did but what i was not ready for was the cost to replace it which did not include the 1 hour to fit and test, they want £440 just for the fan which is shockingly high as online the same fan can be had for £114 delivered. Of course i have gone for the DIY fit as with the 1 hour of labour that would have brought this to just under the £600 mark, now i am all for making a profit but surely that's a little too much.
£114 sounds a lot to me 😆 I'd fit a £3 chinese Ebay fan on it 😍

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well my SOG also packed up just before we go away. My new original SOG fan and new filter kit is £295 delivered! Also outrageous but this might arrive before we go away whereas everyone else is quoting at least 2 weeks delivery! That’s from Travelworld. Mine is plumbed down into the floor and comes out down through the floor behind a panel in the garage to the outside under the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Does it look like this one?
download.jpeg-2.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone have a picture of the fan? I presumed it was just a normal off the shelf shrouded fan after the carbon filter?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Here are thee pictures of my SOG. The first is the complete unit on its filter, the second is the filter only which is 11cms diameter and the third is the fan unit which is pretty small as you can see from my fingers.

I hope I can't get these cheaply elsewhere as I searched for ages but used the SOG name but no unbranded stuff came up.

SOG Complete Unit.jpg
SOG Filter.jpg
SOG Fan Unit.jpg

Reactions: f6c
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Here are thee pictures of my SOG. The first is the complete unit on its filter, the second is the filter only which is 11cms diameter and the third is the fan unit which is pretty small as you can see from my fingers.

I hope I can't get these cheaply elsewhere as I searched for ages but used the SOG name but no unbranded stuff came up.

View attachment 879841View attachment 879842View attachment 879843
Remember on Apollo 13 where they had to make a square fan fit a round hole? 😆

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like it is a MICRONEL D341T-012GK-2 motor?

UK supplier, so price isn't a rip off by SOG/Dealer

But you can get it from Germany a bit cheaper. Although not sure this is new

Whilst googling for alternatives I found this thread.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Seems to me, this would be an ideal project for someone who does that 3D printing thingy. Find a more reasonably priced fan and design an adapter?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Anyone have a picture of the fan? I presumed it was just a normal off the shelf shrouded fan after the carbon filter?
This is ours as it goes through the roof so slightly different to the floor ones. Still a rip off though as the price on the picture is plus postage but it's the cheapest in the uk

IMG_3407.png

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

Its an old thread with prices 7 years old. According to Travelworld the filter is £55 plus VAT on its own and a fan on its own from Travelworld is £214.79 plus VAT plus £12 for next day delivery once its been imported from Germany. Mine was nearly 11 years old. I need it quick and hopefully I'll get it in time. No time for any DIY disasters/lash-ups!

• Informative
Reactions: zac
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Its an old thread with prices 7 years old. According to Travelworld the filter is £55 plus VAT on its own and a fan on its own from Travelworld is £214.79 plus VAT plus £12 for next day delivery once its been imported from Germany. Mine was nearly 11 years old. I need it quick and hopefully I'll get it in time. No time for any DIY disasters/lash-ups!
I understand the thread is 7 years old and the prices are wrong. I should have said why I linked it. Merle confirmed the motor with the same Farnel link that I gave. Which confirms it was the right one.

I think the price is probably correct but it is Micronel who are making the money on this job. I suspect it is a low demand line item for them hence the high price. Making a motor involves setting up production machines, taking wires and parts out of stock. assigning staff to make it. So they will probably batch produce 50 or 100 at a time then have to store them. That is a chunk of money they have tied up.

I am not making excuses for them. But I can understand why the price is so high. I am surprised SOG chose that motor to be honest. If I were them I would be looking to spec a Jelly bean part.

I know the above because I worked for Magnetek Universal Electric Ltd when I was a youngster.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sadly most businesses nowadays don't want to just make a profit they want as much as they can get away with charging. Everyone wants to get rich quick.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Without seeming a total dummy 🙄

Could you not get a 12v fan of the required spec and fit it into a bit of tube the correct od.

Or even cut the old fan out of the tube and fit a new fan 🤔

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Could you not get a 12v fan of the required spec and fit it into a bit of tube the correct od.

Try finding a fan of the same spec/size/shape etc. I can't.
It would need some 3D printing doing to design and develop a new shroud/mount/adapter and it still has to fit in that limited space.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I understand the thread is 7 years old and the prices are wrong. I should have said why I linked it. Merle confirmed the motor with the same Farnel link that I gave. Which confirms it was the right one.

I think the price is probably correct but it is Micronel who are making the money on this job. I suspect it is a low demand line item for them hence the high price. Making a motor involves setting up production machines, taking wires and parts out of stock. assigning staff to make it. So they will probably batch produce 50 or 100 at a time then have to store them. That is a chunk of money they have tied up.

I am not making excuses for them. But I can understand why the price is so high. I am surprised SOG chose that motor to be honest. If I were them I would be looking to spec a Jelly bean part.

I know the above because I worked for Magnetek Universal Electric Ltd when I was a youngster.
? Jelly Bean part?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My replacement fan arrived yesterday, this thing is quite small so the fan must be very tiny inside it. Most places online were selling this for £160+ and only 2 places which are the same company were below this. Still better than £440 though, anything motorhome related seems to be x10 for cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

That's my thinking as ours isn't sucking as well as it used to do I'm going to have to investigate when we get home.

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
That's my thinking as ours isn't sucking as well as it used to do I'm going to have to investigate when we get home.
You would make a fortune if you made something that used basic off the shelf parts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back