SIM only deal with unlimited data that you can use in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Just wondering whether such a thing exists? I would have stayed with Tesco, but they are scrapping their roaming deal where you can use your allowance in Europe.

We are looking at a travel router and need a SIM for it. Our boys are massive data users so we need something that we can stick in the bus and link our phones and tablets to it.

Looking at the TP-Link M7650 router. Anyone got one, or can recommend another.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tiekom sim is good if you want a lot of data the amount can vary and you can get phone deals as well if you speak to Camino😊

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Tiekom sim is good if you want a lot of data the amount can vary and you can get phone deals as well if you speak to Camino😊
Thank you 👍😃

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Update

put the sim card in my router back at the MH and bingo, streaming resumed

peace and harmony restored 👍👍👍

Edit:

just messing as you do but does anyone know if it’s possible to adjust the video settings whilst watching Netflix.

I’ve changed the firestick display settings to 720p 50hz to try n save a bit of data but maybe others can advise me if other changes I could make

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Update

put the sim card in my router back at the MH and bingo, streaming resumed

peace and harmony restored 👍👍👍

Edit:

just messing as you do but does anyone know if it’s possible to adjust the video settings whilst watching Netflix.

I’ve changed the firestick display settings to 720p 50hz to try n save a bit of data but maybe others can advise me if other changes I could make
Any help
1673886807008.png

Hughjamton

Free Member
Jan 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
just-looking
O2 business 30 day rolling account, 350gig data only, I think it's £27 + vat.
Being a UK sim you can get iPlayer and the like when abroad.
Most O2 staff don't know about it, you need to go in the shop and tell them it exists.
You don't need to have a business to get one.

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
I've been looking at just how much of your data allowance you can actually use in the EU without paying extra. For Virgin Mobile on unlimited data in the UK, I can only use about 12.5GB per month in the EU before I am charged. O2 allows your allowance up to a max of 25GB. So you can use your data allowance in the EU but only up to the cap set by the provider. Also, the providers look to see if you're mainly using your data in the UK or in the EU over a period of 4-6 months. If the latter whilst on a UK contract then you will incur roaming charges. All this is, guess where, the small print!

Hughjamton

Free Member
Jan 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
just-looking
I've been looking at just how much of your data allowance you can actually use in the EU without paying extra. For Virgin Mobile on unlimited data in the UK, I can only use about 12.5GB per month in the EU before I am charged. O2 allows your allowance up to a max of 25GB. So you can use your data allowance in the EU but only up to the cap set by the provider. Also, the providers look to see if you're mainly using your data in the UK or in the EU over a period of 4-6 months. If the latter whilst on a UK contract then you will incur roaming charges. All this is, guess where, the small print!
With the o2 business account this doesn't apply, 350gig gives you 350gig in the EU, I've used it on and off for years until I sold my villa in September.
Interestingly I'm on GiffGaff for my phone which is basically o2 but cheaper, if I was flying down just for a week I'd use that for calls and data as you could use your full UK allowance, then they dropped it to 5 gig for roaming. I still used it for calls and the odd bit of data when away from the villa, but after 7 weeks they'd send you a warning that if you continued you'd have to pay!

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks for all these answers.

Is there a list of which phone companies have already decided to start charging extra for roaming in Europe? I am with Tesco for my phone which has said that they are now charging extra for EU roaming, BUT only if you get a new contract. We have not got new contracts so our data allowance is not subject to extra charges abroad. For how long is anyone's guess. Doubt I will stay with Tesco for much longer, for that reason.

My question was about SIM only, for a MIFI router, but could equally refer to a SIM for a tablet(s).

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just gone into a Vodaphone shop in Denia, 140gb fast speed for streaming at 20 euros, 200gb was 40 euros

if you have a spanish bank account then unlimited is 25 euros and roaming everywhere in the EU, UK and USA all included in all the sims, monthly or contract

Get in 👍
I bought one last year worked great but only included limited roaming.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tiekom sim in post#2 is used solely in our router and can b used in nearly the whole of Europe including UK and is available in several amounts of data just call Camino she is very helpful😊

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Buy a SIM in France- I have a house there and use Free. They have a deal on- €19.95, 220Gb no contract. Just go into a Free shop and pick one up (you then do not have to worry about fair usage policies etc)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Buy a SIM in France- I have a house there and use Free. They have a deal on- €19.95, 220Gb no contract. Just go into a Free shop and pick one up (you then do not have to worry about fair usage policies etc)
That would be fine for France but almost certainly have fair usage policies for other countries

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
That would be fine for France but almost certainly have fair usage policies for other countries
I believe the OP is having a French holiday this year- I appreciate it will not be a lot of good if he/ others travel into Spain or other countries- saying that, if people did travel into other countries then I would be inclined to pick up a cheap SIM for each respective country (you can normally get 100GB on a SIM for less than 10 euros in most countries)

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My understanding of the Tesco arrangement (for those who have ongoing unlimited roaming) is that if you allow your contract to run on after its end date, you will keep your unlimited roaming. If you renew a contract you will lose that facility.

Thanks for all these answers.

Is there a list of which phone companies have already decided to start charging extra for roaming in Europe? I am with Tesco for my phone which has said that they are now charging extra for EU roaming, BUT only if you get a new contract. We have not got new contracts so our data allowance is not subject to extra charges abroad. For how long is anyone's guess. Doubt I will stay with Tesco for much longer, for that reason.

My question was about SIM only, for a MIFI router, but could equally refer to a SIM for a tablet(s).

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Just wondering whether such a thing exists? I would have stayed with Tesco, but they are scrapping their roaming deal where you can use your allowance in Europe.

We are looking at a travel router and need a SIM for it. Our boys are massive data users so we need something that we can stick in the bus and link our phones and tablets to it.

Looking at the TP-Link M7650 router. Anyone got one, or can recommend another.
We had an Avtex AMR895 fitted and are very pleased with it. It has two sim slots which are unlocked so you can use any sim. We've had a bit of trouble with Govivo sim, it worked at first but we had no wifi over Christmas and the New Year, but the GiffGaff sim worked perfectly in the second slot.

I've hear that for France, you can get a Reglo sim from Leclerc supermarkets which is unlimited data, I think, but will have a look when we go in June.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
My understanding of the Tesco arrangement (for those who have ongoing unlimited roaming) is that if you allow your contract to run on after its end date, you will keep your unlimited roaming. If you renew a contract you will lose that facility.
Exactly.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
O2 business 30 day rolling account, 350gig data only, I think it's £27 + vat.
Being a UK sim you can get iPlayer and the like when abroad.
Most O2 staff don't know about it, you need to go in the shop and tell them it exists.
You don't need to have a business to get one.
Found this link
Business Mobile Broadband Data Only Tariffs | O2 Business
And this Business sim only Deals | O2 Business UK
Click on 30 days rolling and go to bottom of page
300gig data and can use all in EU

Thanks Hughjamton for the heads up
easier than the Tiekom deal

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
I read that as a 35Gb cap on roaming in the EU and then 0.2p/Mb or am I being a bit fick?
The way I read it was thats only if on the unlimited data plan - Then the 35gb EU kicks in ??
If you have bought the 300gb rolling sim then all is available for use in EU ??

From the O2 site
When you use data in any of the 48 countries in our Europe Zone you have your full UK monthly allowance available to you. It’ll come out of your monthly allowance, just like it would in the UK, as long as you’re on an eligible tariff
If you’re on an unlimited data tariff, you’ll be able to use up to 35GB data in our Europe Zone during your monthly bill cycle

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I believe the OP is having a French holiday this year- I appreciate it will not be a lot of good if he/ others travel into Spain or other countries- saying that, if people did travel into other countries then I would be inclined to pick up a cheap SIM for each respective country (you can normally get 100GB on a SIM for less than 10 euros in most countries)
Where can you get 100gb on a sim for less than ten euros in Spain?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As it happens my account with Tesco Mobile is a few years old so while in Spain I have paid £22.50 extra a month for unlimited data which from using it last year is okay for 3 months then they try the fair use thing. This is handy for watching Sky Sports on the iPad. I did however go online and had posted to the site a Lobster one which was for 40gb plus a free 80 gb for around £15.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have O2 SIMs in our phones - just 15GB data and no roaming charges. We also have a Tiekom 300GB data SIM in our MH mifi. The SIM works beautifully in UK and Europe and the service costs 39.90 euros per month and can be paused for 3 euros per month. As per previous post - Camino has been fantastic. Search on the forum for more info - thread started by Carpmart 👍

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
We have O2 SIMs in our phones - just 15GB data and no roaming charges. We also have a Tiekom 300GB data SIM in our MH mifi. The SIM works beautifully in UK and Europe and the service costs 39.90 euros per month and can be paused for 3 euros per month. As per previous post - Camino has been fantastic. Search on the forum for more info - thread started by Carpmart 👍
Shame they charge 3 euros a month to pause. I usually do 4 weeks in summer then uk for other weekends etc. so would be paused for 11 out of 12 months so for me the Tiecom sun would work out expensive (73€) for 1 months use :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back