Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Do many people use their mohos to transport boats about?
We're out in ours tonight as my daughter has a race tomorrow. It's not that far from home, but great not to have to mess about driving here in the morning
20190412_164852.jpg

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Our MH is 7.04m the rhib is 6.3m on a trailer so 7.5m over all. I would hook the two together but I just don't fancy driving over 14m of articulated vihicle!

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
That would be rather long! Our MH is 7.3m, but the trailer is only about 4m, so it's quite manageable

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re not quite there yet ... we have a PVC and we’re trying to work out if we should get a busbiker bike rack with tow bar. That would let us transport son’s laser for weekends away training or racing. The other issue is drying a wetsuit overnight in a PVC. No inverter. Answers on a postcard. :D

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Only one sailing boat amongst the lot of you!!!:(:(:(

2 Kayaks, I inflatable, 1 Arran fishing boat, 1 Wayfarer, 1 wooden solo, 1 laser dinghy ... just don’t tow them round.

The Solo and the laser stay at Prestwick Sailing club, the rest in Torridon.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Tie it to the wing mirror and drive along!

Ah but the idea of the motorh9me is to stay overnight at events so no driving around on the Saturday night.

When we cycle camped across France we dried our clothes by having them hanging off the racks :LOL:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Recently sold my Laser, had been sitting in the back garden unused for a while stopped using it when we got more into Motorhome travelling.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Too much like hard work to tow our boat - it just has to share us with our MoHo ;)

DSC04839.JPG

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Don’t get me going! :cautious: we miss a yacht so much that the new HymerCar we bought last summer is being readied to sell........ just gotta get a boat! :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don’t get me going! :cautious: we miss a yacht so much that the new HymerCar we bought last summer is being readied to sell........ just gotta get a boat! :)
You’d be amazed how many people flip flop between boats and campers. Campers are cheaper to work on though lol
47BFD734-34B7-4607-9496-199355209FC7.jpeg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Too much like hard work to tow our boat - it just has to share us with our MoHo ;)

View attachment 297840

That looks as though it could be a Westerly.

The 'Blue' looks un-defaced - what is the story?

I have just disposed of a Westerly 33 (1978) in Greece.

I could not keep up with MH and boat maintenance down there and did not trust the locals - good ones worked on superyachts. I used to go down with a good boat builder to do the work, but the travel from Poland is difficult.

I had planned to take the MH to the yard and work on boat from there but family commitments dictate otherwise.

However, we are achieving goal of seeing inside Europe.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You’d be amazed how many people flip flop between boats and campers. Campers are cheaper to work on though lolView attachment 297848

Eddie

At least if one is going to have a 'motor boat' make it a proper one like that.

Looks like a good sea-going hull.

Steel I presume. Where was she built?

Geoff

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
That looks as though it could be a Westerly.

The 'Blue' looks un-defaced - what is the story?

I have just disposed of a Westerly 33 (1978) in Greece.

I could not keep up with MH and boat maintenance down there and did not trust the locals - good ones worked on superyachts. I used to go down with a good boat builder to do the work, but the travel from Poland is difficult.

I had planned to take the MH to the yard and work on boat from there but family commitments dictate otherwise.

However, we are achieving goal of seeing inside Europe.

Geoff

Hi Geoff -

Westerly 33 great boat - was it a ketch or the later sloop version?

Shantou is a MacWester Rowan Crown 4 berth (but a very comfortable 2 berth) - a fine wee boat!! :) 26 ft bilge keel, draws 3 ft, 10 hp Vetus diesel inboard, cruise at 5 kts. I have modified the running rigging so that it all comes back to the cockpit and added Lazy jacks so that I can sail her single handed when I want to (y)

The Ensign is indeed "Blue unfaced" - I am ex RN and a member of the RNSA as such have a warrant to fly it :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do many people use their mohos to transport boats about?
We're out in ours tonight as my daughter has a race tomorrow. It's not that far from home, but great not to have to mess about driving here in the morning
View attachment 296636
Used to use the van to tow the Osprey around the country for various championships etc. Beats sleeping on the clubhouse floor or in a tent in the dinghy park

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff -

Westerly 33 great boat - was it a ketch or the later sloop version?

Shantou is a MacWester Rowan Crown 4 berth (but a very comfortable 2 berth) - a fine wee boat!! :) 26 ft bilge keel, draws 3 ft, 10 hp Vetus diesel inboard, cruise at 5 kts. I have modified the running rigging so that it all comes back to the cockpit and added Lazy jacks so that I can sail her single handed when I want to (y)

The Ensign is indeed "Blue unfaced" - I am ex RN and a member of the RNSA as such have a warrant to fly it :D

My Westerly 33 was a ketch - bit of fad in that era as it did little for performance, but was useful to rig at anchor to cut down the shearing. I knew they offered a sloop version but never heard of anyone having one. I thought I had seen one in Greece, but it transpired that the owner had taken the mizzen off. A wag of a Ship's Captain sailing friend joked that one needed to be careful on a 33 not to slip on the foredeck or one would end over the stern sliced into 16 pieces. The multiple standing rigging did make useful hand-holds when passing down the side-decks in a seaway. I also had jackstays and a shortened harness line, but hardly used them. No point in going overboard on 2m of line at 6 knots and not being able to get back.

Who designed your MacWester? it does have similarities to Westerlys of the Laurent Giles era. It always amazed me how he got so much volume (11ft beam) and good performance into the same hull - good designer.

I too sailed nearly always single-handed(about 30,000 miles), even with a first-class passenger or two. I was always intending to fit lazy jacks but it never happened, so dropping the main was a bit of a tussle, but I had quick-fit bungee loops to secure it. To help with stern-to mooring in the Med I rigged a line and a bungee to the clutch handle of the anchor winch to be able to 'play' out the chain to hold her head up in a cross-wind. Then hold her stern against the quay with fenders on the flat transom, while I stepped off through the gap in the rail to tie her up. That got a few admiring heads turning.

I did not doubt you would have a warrant - just was not sure from the photo that it was undefaced. What was your role in the RN?

This is stirring some memories now. I might still charter a boat in the future to visit some old Greek island haunts one cannot reach by MH or ferry, but the modern stuff does not excite me.

Nice chatting to a sailor though.

Geoff

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
My Westerly 33 was a ketch - bit of fad in that era as it did little for performance, but was useful to rig at anchor to cut down the shearing. I knew they offered a sloop version but never heard of anyone having one. I thought I had seen one in Greece, but it transpired that the owner had taken the mizzen off. A wag of a Ship's Captain sailing friend joked that one needed to be careful on a 33 not to slip on the foredeck or one would end over the stern sliced into 16 pieces. The multiple standing rigging did make useful hand-holds when passing down the side-decks in a seaway. I also had jackstays and a shortened harness line, but hardly used them. No point in going overboard on 2m of line at 6 knots and not being able to get back.

Who designed your MacWester? it does have similarities to Westerlys of the Laurent Giles era. It always amazed me how he got so much volume (11ft beam) and good performance into the same hull - good designer.

I too sailed nearly always single-handed(about 30,000 miles), even with a first-class passenger or two. I was always intending to fit lazy jacks but it never happened, so dropping the main was a bit of a tussle, but I had quick-fit bungee loops to secure it. To help with stern-to mooring in the Med I rigged a line and a bungee to the clutch handle of the anchor winch to be able to 'play' out the chain to hold her head up in a cross-wind. Then hold her stern against the quay with fenders on the flat transom, while I stepped off through the gap in the rail to tie her up. That got a few admiring heads turning.

I did not doubt you would have a warrant - just was not sure from the photo that it was undefaced. What was your role in the RN?

This is stirring some memories now. I might still charter a boat in the future to visit some old Greek island haunts one cannot reach by MH or ferry, but the modern stuff does not excite me.

Nice chatting to a sailor though.

Geoff

CJS Roy designed Macwesters, about 8 models I think, from 22ft to 36 ft one, a Macwester Pelagian, even had twin 42hp engines!! :rolleyes:

I was a CPO mechanician/artificer in the electrical branch of the RN and also did a 18 month stint as a yacht skipper at Joint Services Sailing Centre in Gosport, initially skippering Merlin an old 57 ft wooden "windfall" class sloop then on to more modern "tupperware" boats first Contessa 32's and then Nicholson 55's (great boats) :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back