RWG restricting roaming from 5th October (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
To quote their email:

"Due to a wholesale rate increase from our roaming partners, from 15th October we will be introducing roaming restrictions to all customers with our BIG DATA bundles of 200GB.

This will mean that whilst you can enjoy the full 200GB when in the UK roaming will be restricted to 100GB per month which is still way more generous than many of the big networks out there!"

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
It’s a pain that these companies don’t roll over the unused data until the next month as I would buy a 12 month sim and then when away the accumulated data would be fine for the month!

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
S
It’s a pain that these companies don’t roll over the unused data until the next month as I would buy a 12 month sim and then when away the accumulated data would be fine for the month!
Interestingly our friends who live in Spain have Lebara that rolls over minutes and data. When I queried this with Lebara they said they “couldn’t comment “ on other countries contracts . So there you have it … poorest service yet again in uk

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
100gb is still pretty good, however, connectivity and speeds are ok but they aren't brilliant.

I'll be looking at Starlink shortly as i would think the prices will drop once Amazon start launching their Kuiper satellites.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
S

Interestingly our friends who live in Spain have Lebara that rolls over minutes and data. When I queried this with Lebara they said they “couldn’t comment “ on other countries contracts . So there you have it … poorest service yet again in uk

We use Digi here in spain. They roll over one month to the next for data ,calls. Additionally when used for mobile or landline calls in any other country ,including the UK, all are included in the plan & cost nothing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I will be thinking wether to stick with it at 100gb or change to Free 250gb for €19.99 or Reglo 160gb for €13.95 or 210gb for €18.95 and have a vpn.
I use unlimited in Smarty in uk so only use RWG when in eu

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
100gb is still pretty good, however, connectivity and speeds are ok but they aren't brilliant.

I'll be looking at Starlink shortly as i would think the prices will drop once Amazon start launching their Kuiper satellites.

The more I travel with Starlink roam, the more it impresses… I used it extensively around the UK this summer and it was excellent wherever I went. Now on a long nine month trip and have used it at eight different places over the last month from northern France to the SW tip of a Portugal where we are at present and it really is exceptional VFM when you consider what you are getting.

IMHO it is expensive compared to a phone sim you’re trying to coax 100gb of data out of, yet inexpensive when you look at the ubiquitous connectivity you’re getting anywhere around Europe when compared to a proper 4G data plan.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
S

I think you will find they still have fair use roaming limits, Vodafone, Orange and Movistar all did last time I checked.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The more I travel with Starlink roam, the more it impresses… I used it extensively around the UK this summer and it was excellent wherever I went. Now on a long nine month trip and have used it at eight different places over the last month from northern France to the SW tip of a Portugal where we are at present and it really is exceptional VFM when you consider what you are getting.

IMHO it is expensive compared to a phone sim you’re trying to coax 100gb of data out of, yet inexpensive when you look at the ubiquitous connectivity you’re getting anywhere around Europe when compared to a proper 4G data plan.
Ive looked at this but can't see how it can work on the move? Do you have to set up your dish thing to use it?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That’s annoying, my kids can eat that much in days.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
To quote their email:

"Due to a wholesale rate increase from our roaming partners, from 15th October we will be introducing roaming restrictions to all customers with our BIG DATA bundles of 200GB.

This will mean that whilst you can enjoy the full 200GB when in the UK roaming will be restricted to 100GB per month which is still way more generous than many of the big networks out there!"
Hi I was thinking of going with them in the next couple of days but think I will have to reconsider now I might have to stick with EE where I get 200gb to use in eu as well in the UK it might be more expensive (35pm) but it might be the best for now unless anyone knows of a better deal .

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Yes try Tiekom 400GB in Spain and 200GB elsewhere for €43.90

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Ive looked at this but can't see how it can work on the move? Do you have to set up your dish thing to use it?
Yes unless you have done a DIY conversation to roof mount. However, I can now get using the dish after less than 5 minutes set up out of the box including boot up, ditto packing away. Like Carpmart says, very reliable and VFM especially if you bought for £99. Seen many RV examples of permanent pole mount strapped to rear ladder and wired into the vehicle.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When you look at the wholesale prices then 100GB roaming is amazing and they are losing money on it.

And this is what made me laugh. Amazon (owned by Bezos) can't rely on Blue Origin (Also owned by Bezos) to get the satellites up in the air.
Bezos hasn't made it to orbit yet. Never mind reused an orbital class rocket. SO... Amazon will either have to pay others to get to orbit or lose their license.
They will not be in a position to challenge SpaceX who are well on their way to reusing boosters 20 times.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Amazon started project kuiper in 2018 and applied for their license in 2020. They have until July 2026 to launch 1,800 satellites and won't even get their 1st demonstrator up until 2024 at the very earliest.
Even if they get the 1,800 up which I will be surprised if they succeed without incurring GREAT losses. They will still need to get the rest of the 3200 odd satellite into orbit by 2029.

Currently they have contracts to launch them all on rockets that haven't flown yet. Ariane 6, Vulcan Centaur and Blue Origin New Glenn. None of these rockets have even taken off on test flights yet as far as I am aware.

The funniest bit though is that they (Amazon) are being sued by shareholders for not using the cheapest option (SpaceX) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You really can't make it up.

So... Yeah, I can't see Kuiper putting any price pressure on SpaceX and Starlink in the next decade or so if ever.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Not had any issues with connection and speeds when travelling in EU (which is the only reason we have it) and I don't use a router - just hot spot the phone.

You can get connection problems in UK but I haven't found a SIM in the UK that doesn't!

Dec 6, 2022
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail imala 736g
Exp
Amazon started project kuiper in 2018 and applied for their license in 2020. They have until July 2026 to launch 1,800 satellites and won't even get their 1st demonstrator up until 2024 at the very earliest.
Even if they get the 1,800 up which I will be surprised if they succeed without incurring GREAT losses. They will still need to get the rest of the 3200 odd satellite into orbit by 2029.

Currently they have contracts to launch them all on rockets that haven't flown yet. Ariane 6, Vulcan Centaur and Blue Origin New Glenn. None of these rockets have even taken off on test flights yet as far as I am aware.

The funniest bit though is that they (Amazon) are being sued by shareholders for not using the cheapest option (SpaceX) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So... Yeah, I can't see Kuiper putting any price pressure on SpaceX and Starlink in the next decade or so if ever.
What goes up ,must come down.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008

Well that’s just burst my bubble. Was hoping Bezos would pull his finger out.
Have to put my hand in a bit deeper now 😩

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well that’s just burst my bubble. Was hoping Bezos would pull his finger out.
Have to put my hand in a bit deeper now 😩
Sorry :(

I was hoping for more from him. A space race between Musk and Bezos would have been brilliant for the planet.

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
To quote their email:

Anyone know whether this just applies to the £20 per month Big Data Sim? Presumably paying a little extra for the Global Sim will allow the full 200GB to be used as roaming?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Went to EE shop to renew my contract, as it was out buy 3 months. The manager offered 100gb with roaming all inclusive at £26. Then he said if you add £6, £32 pm, i could do all unlimited inclusive roaming. I made sure roaming is not restricted, he did few figure on pc then confirmed, unlimited and all allowences included in roaming for £32.
I guess EE its a better deal in the long term.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Did you get it in writing? I’m not sure any of them know what they’re talking about! Hope it’s true!
Yes it says on the contract, i have 3 sims and each is detailed for its allowences, two phones and one data. The data is unlimited with all alowences for UK included in roaming, no extra charges. Same as i had previously on a 100gb, each time you go out, the network welcome message confirms your useage alowance.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
EE stopped allowing the full use of roaming on new contracts just after we left you know what, anyone with old contracts are not affected as long as they don't take out a new one but new contracts do have the restrictions in place unless they have now changed this again very recently. As mentioned the people in the shops selling these really have no clue what they are doing but lets hope its now changed.

Update
by the looks of the reply maybe they have now changed as if so its going to get a lot more customers.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone know whether this just applies to the £20 per month Big Data Sim? Presumably paying a little extra for the Global Sim will allow the full 200GB to be used as roaming?
Yes only applies to the ‘Big Data Sim’ the global data sim is still 200GB European roaming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back