Reusable Country Code Stickers for Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Good morning all. Last year I borrowed a UK sticker from a mate. Hang on before you start slating me for being a tight arse hear me out :giggle: the sticker he lent me has no adhesive you dip it in water and squeegee it onto the back of the MH. When finished with simply peel it off job done. It can be reused on multiple occasions what a brilliant idea. Or so I thought can I find them on the net not a chance. There are cling versions but for windows only. Do you know where I can purchase them from ? Cheers :cool:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
From what I have read Lenny if you get pulled over and you don’t have one you can get fined. I hate stickers if they stay on for too long then take them off there is a colour difference to the rest of the van :mad:

I’ve been stopped at a few checkpoints and they’ve had a good look at my van and didn’t mention having no stickers at all, one copper even shrugged his shoulders when I asked him about my lack of crit-air sticker…

The funster badge is accepted world wide…😉

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I hate stickers of any sort on my MH or car, I just have UK on the number plate with the union flag. Any dealer or other stickers are removed straight away.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I love my UK sticker and it stays on. It shows that I am a rich posh chap and travel abroad a lot.
I cherish my sticker that's 25 years old........
Seacat.JPG

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
If you have one on your number plate, like we have, you don't need another. Has to show the union flag and 'UK'. I can see why you wouldn't want a big one, I don't like any stickers on our van, It's grey and a big white sticker spoils it. Personal preference I suppose.
In Spain it is illegal to drive without the big one if you are from the UK - not often enforced but a fineable offence - a bit like being overweight!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In Spain it is illegal to drive without the big one if you are from the UK - not often enforced but a fineable offence - a bit like being overweight!
Most Spanish authorities don't know what UK Is.

They call Britain England or Bretaña

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644
Exp
Since 2004~
Good morning all. Last year I borrowed a UK sticker from a mate. Hang on before you start slating me for being a tight arse hear me out :giggle: the sticker he lent me has no adhesive you dip it in water and squeegee it onto the back of the MH. When finished with simply peel it off job done. It can be reused on multiple occasions what a brilliant idea. Or so I thought can I find them on the net not a chance. There are cling versions but for windows only. Do you know where I can purchase them from ? Cheers :cool:
An alternative method I use, for any stickers, involves not peeling the protective cover off the stickon variety at all. Smearing a few drops of washing up liquid on the back of the label acts as a semi-permant adhesive once dried.
Peeling and washing is all that is required after use.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Sorry PEDANT mode: Unless your registration plate is on the back of a warship....it's the Union FLAG.
In 'EVEN MORE OF A PEDANT' mode: Not so.

From The Flag Institute. (The Flag Institute is the UK’s National Flag Charity (1152496) and is dedicated to serving and educating the citizens of the UK in all things flag-related.)
The Admiralty used both names interchangeably from the seventeenth century onwards, irrespective of use.
An Admiralty Circular of 1902 pronounced that either name was officially valid.
And in 1908 Parliament approved this verdict, confirming that ‘The Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag’.

The Flag Institute has published a 9 page document on this, if anyone is interested! You don't have to read the entire document and there is some interesting background included therein.

Back on topic re. UK stickers, I hate stickers on my van so when I'm in the UK I don't have a UK oval sticker displayed. I bought a magnetic one when I took the van onto the continent, so I can remove it when it's not necessary.

Upvote 0
Aug 8, 2019
Newent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since November 2018
A jack staff (also spelled as jackstaff) is a small vertical spar (pole) on the bow of a ship or smaller vessel on which a particular type of flag, known as a jack, is flown. The jack staff was introduced in the 18th century.

A jack is typically flown from military vessels (including submarines) while at anchor or moored pier side, but not while underway. Civilian vessels (such as private yachts and sailboats) have been known to fly the jack of the nation of their homeport, also from a jack staff, while moored or at anchor.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Quartet
A jack staff (also spelled as jackstaff) is a small vertical spar (pole) on the bow of a ship or smaller vessel on which a particular type of flag, known as a jack, is flown. The jack staff was introduced in the 18th century.

A jack is typically flown from military vessels (including submarines) while at anchor or moored pier side, but not while underway. Civilian vessels (such as private yachts and sailboats) have been known to fly the jack of the nation of their homeport, also from a jack staff, while moored or at anchor.
Aw shucks! Now I can't show off my pedantism...

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Hi are you sure about the number plate ? I thought you had to have the UK sticker on the van as well ? Cheers
From https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-identifiers-and-stickers

“You do not need a UK sticker if your number plate has the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack).

You must display a UK sticker if your number plate has any of these:
  • numbers and letters only, no flag or identifier
  • a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a European Union flag
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
UK stickers have replaced the old white oval GB stickers. If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.”

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
But is this actual EU wide legislation , or just a diktat from the UK government? We still have our EU number plates and no other sticker, have been driving extensively in the EU. ( But not Spain) and so far have never had any issues...

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
But is this actual EU wide legislation , or just a diktat from the UK government? We still have our EU number plates and no other sticker, have been driving extensively in the EU. ( But not Spain) and so far have never had any issues...
I would say its normal international law to display your nationality on your car, its just that we have left EU and also changed from GB to UK.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I would say its normal international law to display your nationality on your car, its just that we have left EU and also changed from GB to UK.
We changed to UK to encompass Northern Ireland as being part of the UK.
Then they decided to continue with GB :unsure:

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Why do we have to have these identifiers…? Doesn’t our number plate tell where we are from..?
If it’s for the authorities then they would for sure know…🤔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Odd that it says "SELF CLING - Provides strong non-perminant fix to flat surfaces and with no chance of scratching paintwork."
No mention of "window".
They have them in Halfords. I went down to purchase one then saw it was reversed out UK is for windows only. Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I found this on the Gov website, so hopefully it is correct! As LennyHB said you do need a big one for Spain and Malta. And Cyprus.

UK stickers and number plates​

You must display the UK identifier when driving a UK-registered vehicle abroad.

If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

However, you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier
If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
Thanks for this info (y)

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sorry PEDANT mode: Unless your registration plate is on the back of a warship....it's the Union FLAG.
It may be a union Flag but like many things where we get corrected, I only knew the flag as a Union Jack as a youngster and was referred to at Cubs Scouts etc as such. Union flag or Union Jack it’s the same pattern of colours. All I came say is BC and BCE both have the same meaning.

Thinking about it even my Grandfather and Father referred to it as the Union Jack and the served in the Royal Navy, so in keeping with their tradition I will refer to the flag as a Union Jack. 🇬🇧

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back