remove bike rack mounting rails? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar ST XL
Hello,

My camper came with a bike rack installed (Thule Elite Van XT - Black - 302013), which I would like to remove. I asked Thule about removing the mounting rails and they said it's not possible once they are installed (as they are glued on). I found some contradictory information online, so I was wondering if someone here has actually managed to remove these rails?

Thank you

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I just remove the rack when necessary. To remove the fittings (rails) would leave holes that need filling. Caps can hide the fitting points.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had the same on our van, it had double sided tape and two bolts at the top and the bottom are just clamps on the door, we was going to have the holes repaired and painted, but we couldn't get it done quick enough, so I filled the holes and put reflectors on the doors, 😁 that was 6 years ago 😉 not bad for a temporary fix that was going to be done when we got back from our 6 month trip. 😯😎 Bob.

20240430_192307.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Jim fitted ones to his van, I seem to recall it was glued on? Not getting them off in a hurry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jan 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar ST XL
I just remove the rack when necessary. To remove the fittings (rails) would leave holes that need filling. Caps can hide the fitting points.
The fittings are not drilled into the door, they are only glued on and secured at each end with a latch, so no holes to fill.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jan 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar ST XL
I used guitar string attached to handles at each end to act as a "saw" and I managed to get one of the rails off but in the process I ran out of guitar string! It took about a half hour. When it stops raining I'm going to try again with fishing line to see if that works just as well.

Only problem is of course now there's a bunch of glue left behind on the door that needs to be cleaned up. In retrospect I should have left these on (like someone already mentioned, a good selling point), but I listed the rack for sale online and it sold before I realized what kind of shit show I was getting myself into :swear:

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Leave well alone.
Unbolt the rack and leave the end fittings in place. Assuming there is a rubber type groove cover, aesthetically you could replace with a complete piece.
Keep the bits.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
See ,this is where the ITV here becomes nonsensical.I had to remove all my rear red reflectors years ago as only allowed on commercials.I had to re¡move the white reflectors on the mirror backs at the ITV the other day for same reason.
What has a TV channel got to do with your reflectors :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
See ,this is where the ITV here becomes nonsensical.I had to remove all my rear red reflectors years ago as only allowed on commercials.I had to re¡move the white reflectors on the mirror backs at the ITV the other day for same reason.
😜 Richard reading our local newspaper I think you need to give them a back hander at your testing station 😁 whereas ours you can't get a appointment. 😂 Bob.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back