Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Can someone give me the name of a Vet in France that will give a 3 year Rabies booster please….with a sensible price preferably in Normandy or Brittany.
Yes, we have the EU Pet Passport but the dates of reading the chip are incorrect so we need a new booster to bring it all into line!

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
We used
Cabinet Vétérinaire de la Mailleraye sur Seine Clinique Vétérinaire Mon Véto La Mailleraye

Can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t unreasonable.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Can't help sorry but I think in France the booster is evey year. Not 3 years as the uk is.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I was under the impression that their rabies jabs are one year only and if you get an EU passport any subsequent jabs can only be carried out by a vet in the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Can’t help with your enquiry I’m afraid as not managed to get an EU Pet Passport. However I can confirm that the vets at Mailleraye are good as we always have the worming treatment administered there before the return trip.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Can't help sorry but I think in France the booster is evey year. Not 3 years as the uk is.
When speaking to our vet in St Jean de Monts she said their initial rabies jab is for a year but subsequent jabs are dependent upon the type of vaccine. We had the three year Rabisin one for our dog at Easter with no problems. The 'fit to travel', worming and rabies was done in their normal consultation fee of about 45 euro.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try the one in Buchy which is where we had our worming done when we came back earlier in the year, very reasonably priced and good English spoken by the vet.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What Nigel P said.

The first rabies jab given is for one year, then after that they are three year.

We had our dog given a 3 year rabies jab at Easter this year in France.

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
CLINIQUE DE NEUFCHÂTEL-EN-BRAY
2 Boulevard Industriel
76270 NEUFCHÂTEL-EN-BRAY

We had three year booster put into existing French pet passport in June, bit pricey I thought at just under €60 but very friendly, happy to speak English in response to my dodgy French and you can book online plus excellent aire just up the road.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thanks Minxy we used them earlier in the year for worming, think it was about 6€
Vet Reception at Bourge Achard didn’t know they could a 3 yr vacc and when found out wanted 60€.
On off chance ( know it’s an expensive vet) called into the vet in Montreuil (we’re on the Aire) and they quoted 45€. Got an appt 4.30 yesterday. Young male vet, really nice to Pippa, made lots of fuss of her and gave us a lot of info.
Apparently the booster is not active until 22 days after injection date.
He certainly knew his stuff. He put the dates so our booster is active straight away but if there’s a problem use the AHC.
At least now Pips passport dates are all in line. Phew!

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Glad you got sorted

I think that’s just the initial jab. If they have a booster before the expiry date of the previous one, cover is continuous.
The Vet was knowledgeable and that was the info we were given from the Vet himself sitting the other side of the desk looking at us!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Vet was knowledgeable and that was the info we were given from the Vet himself sitting the other side of the desk looking at us!
He's only got 'good' knowledge though if he's correct, which he isn't. If your dog is still within the original booster period (eg 3 years) then there is no need to wait otherwise everyone who got their dog's booster done abroad would have to wait which they don't.

The only reason you would have to wait is if the booster was after the previous one had expired, this waiting time is in order to give the body time to create sufficient antibodies etc again and, I suppose, for safety you shouldn't let your dog out so it can't pick rabies up whilst it's not fully protected, just like giving a puppy it's first lot of jabs.

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
He's only got 'good' knowledge though if he's correct, which he isn't. If your dog is still within the original booster period (eg 3 years) then there is no need to wait otherwise everyone who got their dog's booster done abroad would have to wait which they don't.

The only reason you would have to wait is if the booster was after the previous one had expired, this waiting time is in order to give the body time to create sufficient antibodies etc again and, I suppose, for safety you shouldn't let your dog out so it can't pick rabies up whilst it's not fully protected, just like giving a puppy it's first lot of jabs.
Bizarrely the Eurotunnel pet passport office through a curve ball when we returned home at Easter. (not June as I stated above - that's when the booster was actually due)

June 2019 - rabies vaccine administered and UK pet passport issued.
August 2019 - French passport issued after error on UK one noted by French vet.
September 2019 - UK vet copied over vaccine details onto French passport as well as rectifying UK one. (2019 UK vet still allowed to record details in French passport)
June 2022 - booster due
April 12th 2022 - Booster administered in France and French passport validated. (whoop whoop)
April 19th 2022 - Wormer administered and entry into passport and AHC
April 21st 2022 - Crossing back to UK
Eurotunnel pet passport check-in would not accept the passport as "not been 10 days since booster was administered" it was done 9 days earlier.

I tried to query this as it was just the booster which had been administered before it was actually due but she wasn't interested and just said again it needs to be 10 days after the booster was given as the initial rabies vaccination wasn't valid and had we got any other paperwork.... if it wasn't valid should it not have been 22 days not 10?
We just presented the AHC and that was accepted. We have since been back to France in the summer and French passport accepted no problem both sides.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Had my dog rabies booster (3 year) at Easter. Only a 9 day trip, and dog done half way through, and returned via tunnel without issue.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
wasn't interested and just said again it needs to be 10 days after the booster was given as the initial rabies vaccination wasn't valid and had we got any other paperwork.... if it wasn't valid should it not have been 22 days not 10?
It does seem to be a minefield, one Vet says no they don’t give 3yr jabs another says yes they do, one says need 22 days Control says 10 days!
We are going to test the EU passport when we go back this time, we have the AHC in case.
Basically it’s a cock-up all round.
The Vet did suggest we register her on the i-cad system as our Pettrak doesn’t work outside UK.
Now we have an EU passport we need a French address and a French cheque to pay with, think he said about 10€. We have a friend or two that can supply the necessary!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Vet did suggest we register her on the i-cad system as our Pettrak doesn’t work outside UK.
I've looked into that but it only works in France and each time you change your address (in your case travel round) you're supposed to amend the info on the site; if you spend a lot of time in France I suppose it's worth doing but if not then you'd need to find out what to do in the other countries you visit:

Don't forget: update your contact information

If you go on holiday, on weekends or if your pet is entrusted to a third party (professional or individual), the temporary address of residence of the animal must be entered in the National Identification File. By specifying the period concerned, the declaration of the temporary address can be made from your "HOLDER" area using the identifiers and password written on the animal's identification certificate, thanks to the "temporary address" button.

• Informative
Reactions: maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Now we have an EU passport we need a French address and a French cheque to pay with, think he said about 10€. We have a friend or two that can supply the necessary!
Just wondering: when we were able to use our old UK-issued EU Pet Passports, did anyone bother then about registering their dogs on databases in the countries they travelled through? I know I didn’t. Nix’s collar tag includes my email address so I can easily be contacted if she did get lost. If your dog is registered with Petlog (which Nix is), their database can be accessed across Europe through Europetnet.

Europetnet

If it was me, I would be leaving I-cad well out of it. The 9.23€ fee is related to importing a dog into France, which could open up a whole other can of worms. You managed to get an EU Pet Passport in Belgium I think, so there is really no need for I-cad registration.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back