Phone and data from a Router with 'Unlimited' SIM? (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail F60
Exp
Since March 2022
Morning all,
I live out of three locations (MoHo, Boat and home) and would like to buy a 4G/5G router that I can carry between locations and have use of data (LAN and Wi-Fi) but also the phone's unlimited minutes (using the 07xxx number associated with the SIM). Is there a device that supports this?
I have recently returned a router - the spec said it had a voice port but, in practice, it wasn't functional.
I currently use my mobile phone in tether/hotspot mode which is OK but limiting.
Has anyone identified a solution?
All the best
Bob

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a tpMiFi at my static with an EE sim, works well for WiFi, not sure about phone as I have my iPhone, fully portable.
I pay £20 a month for 200gb.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
We have the Huawei B311-221 and use Three on unlimited data. We have a cordless phone plugged into the router although we never use it. If you'll be using in multiple locations you may not get good signal everywhere. We tested our home signal by purchasing a 30GB Smarty sim initially (uses the Three network). It worked well so we went onto a 12 month contract with Three.
Amazon product ASIN B083YVDBRS

OP
OP
M
Mar 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail F60
Exp
Since March 2022
We have the Huawei B311-221 and use Three on unlimited data. We have a cordless phone plugged into the router although we never use it. If you'll be using in multiple locations you may not get good signal everywhere. We tested our home signal by purchasing a 30GB Smarty sim initially (uses the Three network). It worked well so we went onto a 12 month contract with Three.
Amazon product ASIN B083YVDBRS
Thanks Drexl,
That unit seems to fit the bill, if I assume you mean you plug the cordless base station into the router, leaving the handset free to roam nearby.
Before buying, I'll check if there is a variant with more LAN ports as reports indicate it is not good at bridging to another router.
Cheers
Bob

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Yes we have the cordless base station plugged in to the router. although we don't use it - just use mobile phones for all calls. Have had this router in everyday use for 13 months since we ditched the landline. It has worked great at home and away in the van - very pleased we got rid of the previous sky broadband and phone package - rip off prices and sometimes broadband speed was very slow on Friday and Sat evenings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Mar 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail F60
Exp
Since March 2022
Dear All,
Now up and running at home with the Huawei B311-221 and landline phone (via a connector adapter) combo. Incoming calls are fine and mostly show CLI. On outgoing calls there is a 10s delay before the far end ringing is heard - not a significant problem.
Next step is to try it out-and-about powered directly from 12Vdc.
Thanks especially to Drexl
Cheers
Bob

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Good to hear its all working Bob. What download / upload speeds are you achieving?

OP
OP
M
Mar 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail F60
Exp
Since March 2022
Good to hear its all working Bob. What download / upload speeds are you achieving?
I haven't measured the data rates quantitatively but I can't perceive, for my needs, any reduction qualitatively.
I'm surfing/dowloading documents during the day and have internet radio on through the night. Very rarely, do I watch TV over the broadband but the existing house EE broadband stalls anyway, so nothing lost!
Cheers
Bob

OP
OP
M
Mar 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail F60
Exp
Since March 2022
Three do a £20 home broadband with a sim unlimited data if you move you take it with you.
Yes, I use the SMARTY (a.k.a. '3') equivalent unlimited SIM. It far exceeds my needs but avoids me having to think (and saves me £20/month compared to the landline).
Cheers
Bob

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
For my Huawei B535 in our Motorhome I use a 12v buck to keep the voltage at 12v in case the router doesn’t like 14v

And I use a Smarty unlimited phone sim for £15
If you look at the external aerials I think they need 14 volts per.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ok sorry, if your router is attached to an external 4g /5g aerial according to the manual the aerial requires 14 volts
Didn’t realise that, so your saying the router needs 14volts, I will have a look

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a tpMiFi at my static with an EE sim, works well for WiFi, not sure about phone as I have my iPhone, fully portable.
I pay £20 a month for 200gb.
Since I posted this I’ve been playing with my system, if I take the tplink outside I get 4bars and great reception, however inside the static I wasn’t getting a good reception, I can do a download test on my fire stick at home and would get 63mbps, however took it to the caravan and get 10 if tplink outside but less than 2 if inside, 10 gives me ok streaming but with 2 it’s often buffering. I have an outside aerial which is supposed to take the 4G signal and take it inside to a receiver, found its not working well so have just purchased a Kuma connect pro kit which takes the sim into it and also has an outside aerial, it’s designed to work in caravans, motorhomes and boats etc. Not going to get there till Friday/Saturday so will then get it set up, the reviews seem very good so I will find out for myself.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Didn’t realise that, so your saying the router needs 14volts, I will have a look
The aerial manual says 14 volts supply required, but i have done nothing since it was installed and I am using a plug supplied with the 535 router via an inverter supply, the router says 12 volt 1 amp... it works OK to be fair.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Since I posted this I’ve been playing with my system, if I take the tplink outside I get 4bars and great reception, however inside the static I wasn’t getting a good reception, I can do a download test on my fire stick at home and would get 63mbps, however took it to the caravan and get 10 if tplink outside but less than 2 if inside, 10 gives me ok streaming but with 2 it’s often buffering. I have an outside aerial which is supposed to take the 4G signal and take it inside to a receiver, found its not working well so have just purchased a Kuma connect pro kit which takes the sim into it and also has an outside aerial, it’s designed to work in caravans, motorhomes and boats etc. Not going to get there till Friday/Saturday so will then get it set up, the reviews seem very good so I will find out for myself.
Update :- I have fitted the Kuma connect pro, downside is the leads from the aerial to the box are 3m, fine in a towing caravan or a motorhome, but as mine is a 38 foot static I had a problem, I come into the lounge area from underneath so the aerial itself will only just reach to the underneath of the guttering, however I will be drilling through the wall high up and should then have plenty of lead to put the aerial up on the roof.
At the moment it’s fixed to a pole and resting against the handrail, as I previously said I got a decent signal outside on the decking but under 2 mbps inside, I an now getting 28mbps inside so a vast improvement and I’m sure once I move things into a better position it will improve. It also depends on proximity to the nearest mast and the strength of signal from your provider, but I can now use my Firestick for streaming !

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Update :- I have fitted the Kuma connect pro, downside is the leads from the aerial to the box are 3m, fine in a towing caravan or a motorhome, but as mine is a 38 foot static I had a problem, I come into the lounge area from underneath so the aerial itself will only just reach to the underneath of the guttering, however I will be drilling through the wall high up and should then have plenty of lead to put the aerial up on the roof.
At the moment it’s fixed to a pole and resting against the handrail, as I previously said I got a decent signal outside on the decking but under 2 mbps inside, I an now getting 28mbps inside so a vast improvement and I’m sure once I move things into a better position it will improve. It also depends on proximity to the nearest mast and the strength of signal from your provider, but I can now use my Firestick for streaming !
Hi Paul are you still using your EE SIM in the Kuma , I've been reading the reviews on Amazon and someone has stated kuma have probs with Vodafone & 3 , I think EE use 3 ?
We are thinking if purchasing kuma for our bungelow whilst we are away. We have Smarty which uses 3 just wondered if your EE works ok ?

Kind regards Kate

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi Paul are you still using your EE SIM in the Kuma , I've been reading the reviews on Amazon and someone has stated kuma have probs with Vodafone & 3 , I think EE use 3 ?
We are thinking if purchasing kuma for our bungelow whilst we are away. We have Smarty which uses 3 just wondered if your EE works ok ?

Kind regards Kate
Yes I’m using it in the KUMA, been having a few mixed results as it’s been great from 7am for a couple of hours then slowly the speed test results drop, that could be the location of the mast and the fact that more and more people are using it as the day progresses, however before I left Monday morning I was getting good results and they were staying consistent so I will keep testing when I go back there, but so far it is much better than I had before, and I’m sure I can get it to improve.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Kind regards Kate
EE is a network provider and not linked to three.
I think basically we have 3 main suppliers Vodafone, Three and EE , all the others use these networks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back