Pet Passports (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago T148
On return from Holland in July the vet administering the tapeworm treatment offered us a Pet Passport, which we accepted. She transferred all the details from our Animal Health Certificate and the PP was accepted by the immigration officials for our return to the UK. The question is, has anyone used a Pet Passport issued in this way for travel out of UK into the EU or do we have to fork out another £250 for another AHC?

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Wow... that's a new one! Which vets was it, it may be useful for other funsters to know (y)

You'll be fine using it for travel in the future, no AHC required, just make sure you keep your eye on the rabies expiry date and renew it while in Europe the year before...

Cheers
Red.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
On return from Holland in July the vet administering the tapeworm treatment offered us a Pet Passport, which we accepted. She transferred all the details from our Animal Health Certificate and the PP was accepted by the immigration officials for our return to the UK. The question is, has anyone used a Pet Passport issued in this way for travel out of UK into the EU or do we have to fork out another £250 for another AHC?
Did the vet give a new rabies jab or just copy the rabies in from the AHC? If the rabies was just copied over check the microchip reading date isn’t after the date that the rabies was given.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As the Pet Passport was accepted for return to the UK it should be no problem using it for your next trip to the EU. If you have any doubts, you can check it against the ‘How to Complete Pet Passports’ booklet:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• How to Complete Pet Passports.pdf
    679.2 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
S
Apr 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago T148
You can use that passport to go to Europe without needing an AHC however all rabies boosters must be given in the EU. A UK vet mustn't put anything on the passport as it will invalidate it.
Many thanks

OP
OP
S
Apr 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago T148
Wow... that's a new one! Which vets was it, it may be useful for other funsters to know (y)

You'll be fine using it for travel in the future, no AHC required, just make sure you keep your eye on the rabies expiry date and renew it while in Europe the year before...

Cheers
Red.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Talking to a chap on a cl over the weekend who had one issued by a Spanish vet. He said some countries, Austria for one, are now checking if you have an address in the issuing country, if not passport invalid. Don't know if its correct, but a worry if it is.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Talking to a chap on a cl over the weekend who had one issued by a Spanish vet. He said some countries, Austria for one, are now checking if you have an address in the issuing country, if not passport invalid. Don't know if its correct, but a worry if it is.
We got one in Greece in May and the vet insisted on putting our U.K. address in it. Refused to use the boat yard address which had been perfectly acceptable to the police when we got our residency permits last year 🤷🏻‍♀️

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Considering Austria is land locked and surrounded by EU counties I don’t see how this is true, we have travelled through Austria many times with our Portuguese issued pet passport and unless the borders are manned (which 99.9% of the time they arnt) I can’t see how it will be enforced, I would take no notice of this.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The address is the one thing in a Pet Passport that you can change yourself - so no, your chap on a CL is not correct.

Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
We got a Spanish pet passport for our dog today from Petsworld at La Zenia in Spain. I’d previously read on the forum that they issued them. I made initial contact by email, an English speaking staff member telephoned me and arranged an appointment a month ahead , and we added Camping Mar Menor to our Spanish tour. The passport lists the campsite as the Spanish address. La Zenia is not attractive but worth visiting for this. Cost was 30 Euros and a very nice English speaking vet issued the passport. Incidentally, the mosquitoes at Mar Menor are dreadful!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We got a Spanish pet passport for our dog today from Petsworld at La Zenia in Spain. I’d previously read on the forum that they issued them. I made initial contact by email, an English speaking staff member telephoned me and arranged an appointment a month ahead , and we added Camping Mar Menor to our Spanish tour. The passport lists the campsite as the Spanish address. La Zenia is not attractive but worth visiting for this. Cost was 30 Euros and a very nice English speaking vet issued the passport. Incidentally, the mosquitoes at Mar Menor are dreadful!!
Great news and welcome to the ‘Funsters with EU Pet Passports Club’. (y)

Incidentally my dog travelled from Eurotunnel Folkestone on her French Pet Passport again this morning. UK address and no I-cad registration - no problem. :Smile:

Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp CL678
Exp
Since August 2019. Not including VW split screens a lifetime ago....
We got a pet passport in France earlier this month. The vet asked for a French address, and accepted a friend's without fuss. All details were copied over from the AHC including the UK administered rabies vaccine. Dates of chip insertion and rabies vaccine were OK but, she didn't sign and stamp the rabies vaccine details, just copied the details as on the AHC. This was picked up, apologetically, by the pet checking staff at eurotunnel Calais and we had to use the AHC. Next vist to Ireland and a fresh EU rabies jag should sort it though.

Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
It’s a shame we have to go to so much effort to get what we already had before!!! Our dog had a GB passport but we never got round to using it- this time we will make sure we do!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi everyone
Bloody Brexit has made life complicated with pets
Background:
Our pooch had a GB pet passport (travelled for 3 years on that till Covid stopped play)
It has had all inoculations and had a Rabies vaccine and blood test (expires Nov 23)
In January 23 we are going to France for 8 weeks skiing
we realise we have to get an AHC this time before travelling
Sadly our regular vet in France in Forge Les Eauxe retired this year.
So my questions are:
We need to find another English speaking vet en route to Calais for our return ferry.
Can anyone suggest a French vet who speaks English.
Who will issue a European Pet passport.
Sadly we don't have an address of anyone we can use who lives in France
but do have friends who live in Germany (Would that be accepted in France as an address)
How much is a European Pet Passport
and How much is the rabies Booster?

Sorry to ask complicated questions but obviously we don't want to get our pooch stranded the wrong side of the channel
He hates swimming
Many thanks
Kev

Attachments

• IMG_5713.JPG
    IMG_5713.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 4
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi everyone
Background:
Our pooch had a GB pet passport (travelled for 3 years on that till Covid stopped play)
It has had all inoculations and had a Rabies vaccine and blood test (expires Nov 23)
So my questions are:
We need to find another English speaking vet en route to Calais for our return ferry.
but do have friends who live in Germany (Would that be accepted in France as an address)

Sorry to ask complicated questions but obviously we don't want to get our pooch stranded the wrong side of the channel
He hates swimming
Many thanks
Kev

I think maz has a list of French vets that will still issue a pet passport but they are getting few and far between,much easier to hop over the border to Belgium 👍 you use your own home address,Belgian passport was €30 not needed a booster yet. We used https://www.veterinairejaucot.be/ near Mons,but you do have to check she's done it correctly and signed and stamped everything!

We have also used this vet in Ypres in the past but only for worming & check,speak good English and a bit closer to France https://debascule.be/

Last edited:
Reactions: maz
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Did the vet give a new rabies jab or just copy the rabies in from the AHC? If the rabies was just copied over check the microchip reading date isn’t after the date that the rabies was given.
The vet we used in spain gave a new rabies vaccination, the booster to be renewed every year in Spain. All other boosters are done in Uk on a seperate record sheet supplied by Uk vet.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Hi everyone
Background:
So my questions are:

He hates swimming
Many thanks
Kev
Our vet we used in Spain put his address in the space for address.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi everyone
Background:
So my questions are:

He hates swimming
Many thanks
Kev
Hi Kev. I will PM you the list I have of French vets who have issued Pet Passports to Brits. As rb62 says, it is easier to obtain them in a country other than France if you can.

You will find that most European vets speak English although their receptionists may not - and you have to get past them first. :wink: I doubt that many French vets would accept a German address - they will generally want your dog to be registered on their I-cad system which requires a French address. If you find a French vet that is happy with a German address you might just as well use your own UK one. Despite all the b*ll*x being spread on the web since Br*x*t, there is no legal requirement for an EU address in order to obtain and use a Pet Passport.

The cost of both the Pet Passport and a rabies booster will vary, but the total will generally be less than a single AHC.

OP
OP
S
Apr 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago T148
Got a pet passport in Holland in July whilst getting the tapeworm treatment prior to return home. The cost was ca 60€ and we have used it since for a tour in France. Hope this helps.

Aug 9, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Since 2016
That sounds good for us, hoping to travel in Jan. Did you email them in Spanish or English? Also do you have the email address that you used? I can only find the one contact for them but the site looks as if it is for the shop rather than the vet. It would make life so much easier if we could get a passport.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Got one last week in Belgium all the details in thread below. Rabies lasts 3 years.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Used Fido's Belgian passport for the second trip this year, with no problems. But whilst getting his worm tablet at the Gamonal vet in Burgos, I was told that Spa ish vets are "no longer allowed" to issue passports to non residents. Neither her English nor my Spanish were up to verifying the legality of this, but she was adamant that she, and all the other vet practices she knew, wouldn't issue them to tourists....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back