LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some recipes need stuff you might not have routinely in your motorhome of course.
I often plan out meals in advance and have baggies of the herbs and spices needed for a particular recipe so I don't have to take more than I need.

I sometimes wonder if the MH was searched what the drugs squad would think!!!! Can you be done for a baggie of mixed herbs or cocoa powder???

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you have a full cook lab installed and refer to the police officer as ' yo bitch dude' you may have a problem
Thanks for the confirmation!!!!

When we had a dog (bitch) she loved to steal all sorts of odd bits of food that I never thought a dog would like. As a sniffer dog she would have found any food going!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've just ordered a slow cooker recipe book - I love my slow cooker! It's American but nothing in the sample looked like I couldn't get the same or similar in the UK - I would substitute g-f pitta pockets for taco shells for example.

Amazon product ASIN 1500369780
When we are away I often have the slow cooker in the sink running from an inverter as we are traveling. The big disadvantage of that is the smell makes you really hungry! My slow cooker (Argos sale item from a few years ago) is a small affair, ideal for two people, and is rated at 90W. I nearly always boil water or other liquid before putting it into the slow cooker so there is no need to run the cooker on the high setting to bring things to a simmer.

No doubt you could use a Mr D cooker as well but (in my opinion) I think they are well over priced although I know a lot of people love them.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When we had a dog (bitch) she loved to steal all sorts of odd bits of food that I never thought a dog would like. As a sniffer dog she would have found any food going!!!!
My Border Collie would eat left-over spag bol and leave the plate as clean as a whistle, except for the small pieces of mushroom.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Border Collie would eat left-over spag bol and leave the plate as clean as a whistle, except for the small pieces of mushroom.
I had a German shepherd and his favourite food was spaghetti bol. I even did it for him with grated parmesan on top. Seeing him wolf it down was quite entertaining. He even ate the mushrooms.

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
In Italy, I used to watch in wonder as a gang of garden cats sat genteely and ate spag bol using their paws as forks - they ate everything and their kittens licked the bacofoil tray clean.

In the 1920s era 'Even further back in time for dinner' television programme (available on YouTube) there is an example of one-pot cooking where herrings were steamed on top of a small pot containing a roly-poly dessert, within a larger pot of vegetable soup., The family in the programme ate the whole three courses and didn't mind! I'd like to try something like that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
In Italy, I used to watch in wonder as a gang of garden cats sat genteely and ate spag bol using their paws as forks - they ate everything and their kittens licked the bacofoil tray clean.

In the 1920s era 'Even further back in time for dinner' television programme (available on YouTube) there is an example of one-pot cooking where herrings were steamed on top of a small pot containing a roly-poly dessert, within a larger pot of vegetable soup., The family in the programme ate the whole three courses and didn't mind! I'd like to try something like that!
Get an old pressure cooker, my 25yr old one has got 3 separate compartments and a steamer tray.

I did my first apple & frozen fruit crumble tonight in my standard Remoska. Needed some refinement, but was edible.:xThumb:

Jolak

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 175
I had a German shepherd and his favourite food was spaghetti bol. I even did it for him with grated parmesan on top. Seeing him wolf it down was quite entertaining. He even ate the mushrooms.
my Russell was the same. Wish I had filmed him. He did it better than the scene from Lady and the Tramp. I did it for him as a last meal when I had to take him to the vets the next day and I knew it was going to be the final injection. It was something I knew he would eat when he was rejecting normal dog food.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I always try and cook one pot meals in the van, using an ordinary Tefal deep Saute pan with glass lid, just put meat in 1st sear off, then add the other ingredients at the appropriate time. I agree you have to have lots of stored herbs & spices but the good news is they aint that heavy, but there's sure to be one missing that you need!:doh:

The main requirement apart from 240V for most Remoska Oven meals, whether to warm up pastry items, or cook a whole chicken is a home made Tin Foil Cartouche lid unless you like a Charcoal topping.(y)

The Good old fashioned Pressure Cooker for stews etc is also a good idea, but thicken at the end or get the green scourer's to hand!:oops:

Always suss out the nearest Fish & Chip shop, or local pub, its save so much time & stress, Plus I am supposed to be on holiday Oh Please!:LOL:

Good food for Good Times as they say in Swiss.
LES

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My main meals are, salads (or stir-fry at home) in summer and Pressure cooked stews (and curries at home) in the winter.

Stir-fries are so easy, a bag of frozen mince or fish, fresh or frozen veg, soy& fish sauces and a bottle of dry Sherry makes a quick and healthy meal in minutes.
(There is (or was) a good, small Chinese shop with steep stairs, down a side alley near M&S, that sells plenty of good and reasonably priced ingredients and utensils in Bath)

I know that Ninja is all the rage but I have been getting good results from my,(4 times cheaper,) 1000w Cleverchef Pro Multicooker.
When pressure cooking, I was delighted & surprised at how little steam escaped and the speed, I think it's a keeper and will be travelling with me when on EHU.

PS. Chorizo added to any meat dish will add flavour and worth having in the fridge.

Now, about sucking eggs! :LOL:

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I always try and cook one pot meals in the van, using an ordinary Tefal deep Saute pan with glass lid, just put meat in 1st sear off, then add the other ingredients at the appropriate time. I agree you have to have lots of stored herbs & spices but the good news is they aint that heavy, but there's sure to be one missing that you need!:doh:

The main requirement apart from 240V for most Remoska Oven meals, whether to warm up pastry items, or cook a whole chicken is a home made Tin Foil Cartouche lid unless you like a Charcoal topping.(y)

The Good old fashioned Pressure Cooker for stews etc is also a good idea, but thicken at the end or get the green scourer's to hand!:oops:

Always suss out the nearest Fish & Chip shop, or local pub, its save so much time & stress, Plus I am supposed to be on holiday Oh Please!:LOL:

Good food for Good Times as they say in Swiss.
LES
Poundland sell pack of 5 tin round plate type thingys that perfectly fit on top of the Remoska, stops all that fiddly stuff with the tin foil

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
All the guys will need to run on the treadmill to provide some power, we have no ehu here.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The best meal ever invented is done in one pan.

The great british fry up.
Sausage, eggs, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms and add the beans at the end.
Although I have been tempted by one of these a time or two. Still one pan but cleverererer.

61H0Y6GRi8S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
All the guys will need to run on the treadmill to provide some power, we have no ehu here.

Now you have a winter project, Solar panels in the South facing trees and bigger batteries/inverter?

After all, it was your suggestion. :LOL:

Edit. Perhaps you have time to train the ducks and chickens to walk along a treadmill, it's got to be healthier for them while in lockdown with this Avian Flu business? :LOL:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The best meal ever invented is done in one pan.

The great british fry up.
Sausage, eggs, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms and add the beans at the end.
Although I have been tempted by one of these a time or two. Still one pan but cleverererer.

61H0Y6GRi8S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Can all be done on a good cast iron hot plate and it's more versatile. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back