Newhaven - Dieppe .. or .. Le Shuttle ... which was cheaper ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It depends on where you are going on the other side.
When I said it was a "no brainer" I was referring to the cost between the two prices... .. not about any particular destination.. I never said where we were heading.. nor implied it was a "no brainer" for anyone else but me.

We have been travelling to Europe for many years, first trip was in 1972 .. and oddly enough, on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry. 'Fast forward' 52 years, and you still had to book by phone ! .🤷‍♂️.. I hope the ferries are more modern .. o_O

Since relocating to England, we have used the Dover - Calais route, Le Shuttle being our preferred method .. but recently had read on here that it had become expensive, so decided to look at getting a price for the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry ..

But when I saw the prices.. I thought "no brainer" Le Shuttle here we come.. and even if it had been cheaper would have probably still used the train..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Was the DFDS website designed by the Horizon software team? 🤣
It is amazingly antiquated.
Given that you are in Suffolk and looking at Newhaven/Dieppe I presume western France or Spain.
I throw them off the scent :hi5:& use dover > dunkirk even though I am going down to west side & Bordeaux :ROFLMAO:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
well, the website is obviously fubar..
It's only necessary to book by phone to get the discount.
don't remember getting a discount in 1972 either.. 🤔
Were you over 60 in 1972?
The discount has been available since at least the 60's when the service was taken over from British Rail and operated jointly by the Dieppe Chamber of Commerce and East Sussex County Council.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
When I said it was a "no brainer" I was referring to the cost between the two prices... .. not about any particular destination.. I never said where we were heading.. nor implied it was a "no brainer" for anyone else but me.

We have been travelling to Europe for many years, first trip was in 1972 .. and oddly enough, on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry. 'Fast forward' 52 years, and you still had to book by phone ! .🤷‍♂️.. I hope the ferries are more modern .. o_O

Since relocating to England, we have used the Dover - Calais route, Le Shuttle being our preferred method .. but recently had read on here that it had become expensive, so decided to look at getting a price for the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry ..

But when I saw the prices.. I thought "no brainer" Le Shuttle here we come.. and even if it had been cheaper would have probably still used the train..

If the Newcastle to Ijmuiden is too expensive, which it usually is, then our next preference is heading south and the tunnel.

even though it is often cheaper on the ferry we just like to ease and convenience of the train. Well that’s what we prefer.

Have looked at Newhaven route and the times are not brilliant for us. The cheap times are usually the very late 23:00hrs departure.

With 360 miles or so to the south of the U.K. for us. Going across to the continent is expensive and takes a fair bit of time, no matter what the route.

This year
May is via Newcastle but that is on the motorbikes
September is also Newcastle as going to Germany in the van and got a reasonable price
December is via the tunnel on way to Spain.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I did not use the term 'no brainer', however, how and where you cross over to the mainland is very very dependent on where you are going, not on the cost of the ferry/train.

As a rule of thumb:
For Western France and Spain, then Newhaven, Southampton, Portsmouth and Plymouth are the logical departure points.
For Eastern France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, ex Yugoslavia etc, then Harwich/Hoek of Holland is the logical route.
For Northern France, Paris and maybe Belgium then Dover/Calais is the logical route.

I can not understand why people in motorhomes use Dover/Calais and then head to the far East or far West of the mainland.
As they are typically time rich and cash poor.
The other ferries will save not only time but also money when fuel and tolls are taken into consideration.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Especially if you live only 20 miles from Newhaven like Lenny and me. :giggle:
I live within an hour of Dover & Folkstone.
I very rarely use either port.

As it does not make financial or time sense, unless you are going to Paris or maybe Brussels

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I did not use the term 'no brainer', however, how and where you cross over to the mainland is very very dependent on where you are going, not on the cost of the ferry/train.

As a rule of thumb:
For Western France and Spain, then Newhaven, Southampton, Portsmouth and Plymouth are the logical departure points.
For Eastern France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, ex Yugoslavia etc, then Harwich/Hoek of Holland is the logical route.
For Northern France, Paris and maybe Belgium then Dover/Calais is the logical route.

I can not understand why people in motorhomes use Dover/Calais and then head to the far East or far West of the mainland.
As they are typically time rich and cash poor.
The other ferries will save not only time but also money when fuel and tolls are taken into consideration.

Have you seen the weather in the Channel? :sick:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All very well for people who live down south, but when it's taking you 4 hours to get to ferrys or tunnel, I am just glad to get on the train have twenty mins relax and then be in France, also I don't know why folks have a downer on northern France, we love it and I would surely rather be there than be on a ferry for hours.
The tunnel price is really immaterial to us as we usually have some Tesco vouchers and it costs us at least half as much in diesel getting there so thecloser the better.
Plus and this is the big one, how far is it to gravelines from Dieppe?
No I will stick with the tunnel,ta.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Plus and this is the big one, how far is it to gravelines from Dieppe?
There are actually other places in France besides Gravelines you know. 🤣

For us using Newhaven if going down the west side it saves 400 miles on a round trip.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There are actually other places in France besides Gravelines you know. 🤣

For us using Newhaven if going down the west side it saves 400 miles on a round trip.
I was joking ;) and I have just looked it up and amazingly, found that Newhaven is 223 miles and the tunnel is 222, I thought there was a lot more of difference in the distance (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was joking ;) and I have just looked it up and amazingly, found that Newhaven is 223 miles and the tunnel is 222, I thought there was a lot more of difference in the distance (y)
Nar, Newhaven 22 miles fast route, 16 miles short route, Dover 115 miles fast route, 95 miles short route. :rofl:

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
Le Shuttle, £264 inc of the £90 discount for Tesco club card voucher

Newhaven Dieppe quote .. £519 .. less 20% discount would be £415.20 ..

No brainer.. Le Shuttle booked

View attachment 883665View attachment 883666
We have just returned from Spain/France. The tunnel was very expensive in comparison to our crossing via Irish Ferries. Having used IF previously I cannot fault to them. Even getting us on an earlier boat without any fees or fuss.i paid £160 return with our 6.36m pcv. We do have a Tunnel crossing booked for June as we head to Italy for a few weeks. At the time of booking that (Jan) I thought £300 was a fair price.
I will only use IF now and not P&O after what they did to the Staff!

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
Taking a employment on terms and conditions is a bit different than having compulsory redundancies to meet new terms and conditions.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I just looked it up as well. For me:

Newhaven port is 176 miles or 3 hrs 15 minutes

Folkestone is 194 miles or 3 hrs 26 minutes

Amazingly the difference in driving time is only 11 minutes.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I just looked it up as well. For me:

Newhaven port is 176 miles or 3 hrs 15 minutes

Folkestone is 194 miles or 3 hrs 26 minutes

Amazingly the difference in driving time is only 11 minutes.
IS or SHOULD BE. M25 is a constant pain, and can easily add many more minutes if you’re lucky, and hours if not. Even at odd times it can add hours and discomfort to your holiday.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Would I get away with saying yes and not being? The passport doesn’t lie! 😉

Er in doors is nearer than me, but still a couple of clicks off herself… would make the route much more attractive with 20% off! 🤪

I qualify for the 20% discount in December so waiting till then to book my return next March 😎

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Wrong gravelines on google maps showing one near chalons en champagne

Your Gravelines is about 22 mile from Calais

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We have just returned from Spain/France. The tunnel was very expensive in comparison to our crossing via Irish Ferries. Having used IF previously I cannot fault to them. Even getting us on an earlier boat without any fees or fuss.i paid £160 return with our 6.36m pcv. We do have a Tunnel crossing booked for June as we head to Italy for a few weeks. At the time of booking that (Jan) I thought £300 was a fair price.
I will only use IF now and not P&O after what they did to the Staff!
They just copied Irish Ferries 😒

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
IS or SHOULD BE. M25 is a constant pain, and can easily add many more minutes if you’re lucky, and hours if not. Even at odd times it can add hours and discomfort to your holiday.

I won't make the same mistake again of using the M25 on a Friday. The journey home lasted 6 hours.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I won't make the same mistake again of using the M25 on a Friday. The journey home lasted 6 hours.
Was that this last Friday as we did the same,yet on the Monday before, going down we never had to slow down at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back