Mr D thermol cooker (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
I have had my Mr D for about 8 years, use it all the time.At home I used to prepare food at lunch time and by the time we were home from work it's all cooked and ready. Use it a lot whilst travelling, prepare a meal, simmer for 10-15 mins then put in a cupboard and it's ready when you are after travelling.Anything you would put in a slow cooker, stews, curries, etc. Made a tagine in it yesterday, well yummy! Do all roasting joints in it, you can do a full Sunday roast in it! If I want to cook meat to make it tender prior to adding a sauce etc I use a roasting bag and cover with boiling water and often leave it overnight, stewing meats and lamb especially! Oh and carrot cake is delicious! Certainly wouldn't be without it. Best thing since sliced bread lol! There are a couple of face book sites with info and recipes. Enjoy!

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We love ours and have just come back from a 5 week ski trip. Apart from the benefits already mentioned, it also creates less steam which can be a problem in winter months. It does the best rice when using the top pan (even better than our Korean rice cooker that costs loads). I am also now thinking about the Omnia oven as a second MH gadget when off grid.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Only really use for casseroles, having read all this must read the recipe book and use more, particularly like the jacket potato idea

Here's the link I followed . Like the amount she got into her pot .I Can offer to do them now for our funster neighbour friends as well 👍

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the same sort of thing and cheaper although the 20% discount has ended now.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
but IF I read correctly, one has to put the cooked potatoes into an oven to crisp up the skin??:unsure:
Yes I must admit have never done jackets and will not. We like a mega crispy skin and fluffy centre so slow in the oven is the only way for me.

Never used a pressure cooker in my life. I can definitely see the benefit especially in a house but in the van I enjoy the process of cooking stuff slowly - plus it’s our heating when it’s cold 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Although it looks good, it's gust a modern version of the old hay oven and as I cannot do anything with it without waiting hours,
I think I'll stick to my 3ltr Pressure cooker that I have had for 22yrs.
One of the reasons for it is that you can prepare stuff beforehand, stick it in the thermal outer and forget about it, then when you get to your destination you have a nice hot meal ready to serve without having to prat around when you're tired. As my hubby is up before me he'll get it on then if it's something that's going to take a long time, otherwise he'll do it whilst I prepare lunch, then later when he'd usually be sorting stuff out for tea instead he can sit out and enjoy the sunshine etc.

It can cook a ready to eat stew, curry, steam pudding etc in the 20min it takes before Mr D is put in it's casing, so it saves time and money as once the pressure has built up, the heat can be turned down to minimum for the last 10mins.
Another reason we've bought our Ecopot is to save on energy for stuff that needs longer cooking which would need the pressure cooker to be on for a long time, also using the Ecopot means the MH won't get full of moisture as you would when using a pressure cooker as, even with it on low, it still emits a bit of steam. We will still be taking a small pressure cooker though so that when we want to cook a quick meal, or do veg etc, to go with other stuff we have the option, but not for anything like a joint etc that needs longer cooking.

Another thing with the Ecopot/Mr D's etc type pots is that you can do the full meal all at once, eg curry in the bottom, rice in the top, so no need to have 2 pots bubbling away on the hob for 15-30 minutes, with the 'pot' it's all ready at once when you want to eat it.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
One of the reasons for it is that you can prepare stuff beforehand, stick it in the thermal outer and forget about it, then when you get to your destination you have a nice hot meal ready to serve without having to prat around when you're tired. As my hubby is up before me he'll get it on then if it's something that's going to take a long time, otherwise he'll do it whilst I prepare lunch, then later when he'd usually be sorting stuff out for tea instead he can sit out and enjoy the sunshine etc.

Another reason we've bought our Ecopot is to save on energy for stuff that needs longer cooking which would need the pressure cooker to be on for a long time, also using the Ecopot means the MH won't get full of moisture as you would when using a pressure cooker as, even with it on low, it still emits a bit of steam. We will still be taking a small pressure cooker though so that when we want to cook a quick meal, or do veg etc, to go with other stuff we have the option, but not for anything like a joint etc that needs longer cooking.

Another thing with the Ecopot/Mr D's etc type pots is that you can do the full meal all at once, eg curry in the bottom, rice in the top, so no need to have 2 pots bubbling away on the hob for 15-30 minutes, with the 'pot' it's all ready at once when you want to eat it.
My old 3ltr pressure cooker can cook a full stew in about 20 mins,(half this time on low, thus saving gas, and it has never cooked anything for longer than 25mins?) it releases very little steam and the new ones, none.

I used to site-sit for the CCC for many winters and never had a problem inside the van with steam + my old P/C has four removable compartments so I can do all the same as you, curry in one, rice in another etc. it even has a plate to stop any meat from touching the bottom it can even cook a whole chicken or joint if required.

IF, I don't want the hassle of cooking a FULL meal in 20 minutes when I get on site, I cook the 20min meal BEFORE I set out from home and rap it in an old sleeping bag so I then have a choice of eating whenever I wish if I happen to find a nice spot on the way.
Not having to wait 3hrs and hope it's ready!

Why take more pots away than you need, when everything from Breakfast to Supper can be done in a largish Pressure Cooker and a Cast Iron Griddle? :unsure::giggle:

PS. IF I remove the compartments and lid, I can even do Fish & Chips! :rofl:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My old 3ltr pressure cooker can cook a full stew in about 20 mins,(half this time on low, thus saving gas, and it has never cooked anything for longer than 25mins?) it releases very little steam and the new ones, none.
That's not totally true as I have new ones and they all do let out some steam although you can generally control the amount a bit better than older ones.

I used to site-sit for the CCC for many winters and never had a problem inside the van with steam + my old P/C has four removable compartments so I can do all the same as you, curry in one, rice in another etc. it even has a plate to stop any meat from touching the bottom it can even cook a whole chicken or joint if required.
For a single person that's possible but for a couple or more it's not quite so easy. Nowadays pressure cookers don't come with as many compartments either, in fact many don't come with baskets at all!

IF, I don't want the hassle of cooking a FULL meal in 20 minutes when I get on site, I cook the 20min meal BEFORE I set out from home and rap it in an old sleeping bag so I then have a choice of eating whenever I wish if I happen to find a nice spot on the way.
If you can do stuff before you leave home that's great but when travelling for a couple of months obviously that's not an option. As you apparently haven't used a thermal cooker you seem to be concerned about something you haven't actually experience - if it's not ready then you've done something wrong so as with all things you need to learn how to use it properly first (just as you would with a pressure cooker).

Why take more pots away than you need, when everything from Breakfast to Supper can be done in a largish Pressure Cooker and a Cast Iron Griddle? :unsure::giggle:

I've got a proper chip pan with basket that is brilliant as it has up-stands so once I lift the basket up I can leave the chips to drain which also keeps them warm hovering above the fat, if I wish I can still use the pan below to cook the fish. After using normal pans for deep frying and having to 'fish' out the chips then draining them on paper instead, I can confirm that the basket draining means they are a lot less oily.

I've used a pressure cooker since I was a kid so am well versed in how they can be used and wouldn't be without one both at home and in the MH but for the reasons I've given in this post and previously having a thermal cooker will be very beneficial too, in addition we'll also use it at home instead of the slow cooker so will save having to have that on for hours on end.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

Good to know you are so passionate about your pressure cooker and how you use it . Thanks for telling us . I'm sure there are others just as passionate with theirs

Some folk on Fun may not of even heard of a Mr D . My opening original post was to find others using the Mr D and which recipes worked for them . Not to find out about pressure cookers ? But thankyou for your input I've used pressure cookers for many years but for us a Mr D is what we prefer to use in van and of late at home to save on gas / electric and therefore why I started this thread. I fully understand your passion and it maybe helpful to others and yourself if you start a thread to enlighten others or for you and others to share their passion and pressure cooker recipes also . I'm sure I'd be interested in the thread myself .
Kind regards Kate x

but IF I read correctly, one has to put the cooked potatoes into an oven to crisp up the skin??:unsure:
If folk wish to have a crispy skin then there is that option to use oven .I however for personal choice do not .

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE use ours for all sorts of stuff - They obviously do amazing curries and stews including the rice or even dumplings

I've made a Christmas pudding in ours too with an ordinary container not the special extra inner pot and that was soft soft and light but stodgy at the same time (got to be filling hasn't it)

And yes with the price hikes in energy will be used a lot - although we are away so heading to made paellas and other rice dishes as we're heading to Spain next month

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you look at my Ecopot link you'll see that my hubby did jacket potatoes in ours to see how they came out, they certainly taste like 'oven' cooked ones and the skins were certainly drier than done in a microwave but obviously not crispy but the trouble with oven cooking is the time they take and thus energy they use, there's nothing to stop you doing them in the Ecopot first then popping them in the over for a short while to crisp up, it would certainly be more energy efficient.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Although it looks good, it's gust a modern version of the old hay oven and as I cannot do anything with it without waiting hours,
I think I'll stick to my 3ltr Pressure cooker that I have had for 22yrs.
It can cook a ready to eat stew, curry, steam pudding etc in the 20min it takes before Mr D is put in it's casing, so it saves time and money as once the pressure has built up, the heat can be turned down to minimum for the last 10mins.

Only really use for casseroles, having read all this must read the recipe book and use more, particularly like the jacket potato idea
I use a small slow cooker a lot. The one in the van has a 90w rating so we can run it on our cheap (Lidl best) 200w inverter as we travel (it sits in the washing up bowl in the sink) and the meal is ready when we get to our destination. You can do baked potatoes (not as crispy skins as in the oven I admit), roast chicken etc etc etc in the slow cooker. I'd think that any recipe that can be done in a slow cooker could be done in a thermal cooker?

I also have a modern electric pressure cooker and use that quite a bit at home. Mine has a steam trap (a thing on the side that acts like a condenser) so very little steam when it's used. It also has a slow cooker setting but I haven't used that function :)

Last night I made a chicken dish with boneless chicken thighs, onion, carrot and potatoes covered with water and a mix of Soy and Worstershire Sauces (gluten free types of course) plus a big dollop of tomato ketchup. All done in the pressure cooker and enough for at least 5 servings. I did do peas with it last night (don't like to do peas in the pressure cooker or the slow cooker as they lose their colour). Egg Custard and Creme Brulee done in the pressure cooker are yummy!

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I use a small slow cooker a lot. The one in the van has a 90w rating so we can run it on our cheap (Lidl best) 200w inverter as we travel (it sits in the washing up bowl in the sink) and the meal is ready when we get to our destination. You can do baked potatoes (not as crispy skins as in the oven I admit), roast chicken etc etc etc in the slow cooker. I'd think that any recipe that can be done in a slow cooker could be done in a thermal cooker?

I also have a modern electric pressure cooker and use that quite a bit at home. Mine has a steam trap (a thing on the side that acts like a condenser) so very little steam when it's used. It also has a slow cooker setting but I haven't used that function :)

Last night I made a chicken dish with boneless chicken thighs, onion, carrot and potatoes covered with water and a mix of Soy and Worstershire Sauces (gluten free types of course) plus a big dollop of tomato ketchup. All done in the pressure cooker and enough for at least 5 servings. I did do peas with it last night (don't like to do peas in the pressure cooker or the slow cooker as they lose their colour). Egg Custard and Creme Brulee done in the pressure cooker are yummy!
Do you have a Mr D ?

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
WE use ours for all sorts of stuff - They obviously do amazing curries and stews including the rice or even dumplings

I've made a Christmas pudding in ours too with an ordinary container not the special extra inner pot and that was soft soft and light but stodgy at the same time (got to be filling hasn't it)

And yes with the price hikes in energy will be used a lot - although we are away so heading to made paellas and other rice dishes as we're heading to Spain next month
Do you use your own recipes for curries or do you follow Mr D's recipes ?
I've not done a cake or Christmas pud yet but I do have the tin I think you mention is it this one
IMG_20220220_141135.jpg

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
No but remember haybox cooking from when I was a child :)

I looked at the MrD and thought it was very expensive for what it was and that if I really wanted one I could make one :)

What do you remember being cooked in the haybox when you were a child Helen ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
At least with a 'Mr D' or Ecopot you don't have to worry about cooking the resident hamster! :LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What do you remember being cooked in the haybox when you were a child Helen ?
Old hen's that were no longer in lay ( tough and chewy even after hours of cooking), bacon, mutton. Mutton was my favourite but difficult to get now as it's all lamb.

Really it was whatever was available but never onions as my Gran hated them with a passion!!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
At least with a 'Mr D' or Ecopot you don't have to worry about cooking the resident hamster! :LOL:

I'm thick, you'll have to explain
(unless it has to do with the subject going round in circles which you initiated by expanded my #26 post in your first post #37)?? :LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'm thick, you'll have to explain
(unless it has to do with the subject going round in circles which you initiated by expanded my #26 post in your first post #37)?? :LOL:
and even further in your #39 post! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Had a Mr D, used a few times, didn’t like it, didn’t like the weight-nor the wait and didn’t like the rough bit on it’s bottom that tried to scratch any surface!
Sounds like you had a Mr D- :giggle:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Yup ... I agree with you! :giggle: Clue ... what do you put in a hamster's cage?:LOL:

Having never had, or the inclination to have, a rat type creature as a pet, I still don't understand, (Please forgive my sheltered life :pray:)

but, I suspect it was not the most polite of observations so I will let you go to have similar conversations with people who might have the audacity not to agree with you! :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back