LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
How many Funsters use there Mr D at home as well as in their motorhomes . I feel I'm not using mine enough .

What's your Mr D mostly used for I tend to use it for cooking a whole chicken or gamon joint whilst out and about in the van . I've recently found how to use it for baked potatoes they come out so lovely if you like the skins crunchy just finish them of in hot oven for a while .

I Need more ideas and recipes please .
Kind regards Kate

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Soā€™s them padded bras, phew, they get my temperature up, and you could cook a nice amount of jacket potatoes šŸ„” in em šŸ˜€

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
How many Funsters use there Mr D at home as well as in their motorhomes . I feel I'm not using mine enough .

What's your Mr D mostly used for I tend to use it for cooking a whole chicken or gamon joint whilst out and about in the van . I've recently found how to use it for baked potatoes they come out so lovely if you like the skins crunchy just finish them of in hot oven for a while .

I Need more ideas and recipes please .
Kind regards Kate
I have on occasion but probably not nearly enough. With the impending energy price hikes I guess it will make sense to use it as much as possible though.

I have adapted some of my job top recipes for it already x

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I have on occasion but probably not nearly enough. With the impending energy price hikes I guess it will make sense to use it as much as possible though.

I have adapted some of my job top recipes for it already x
Thanks Ven ,yes with the energy hikes that's what prompted me to get the Mr D out again.
How do you adapt your recipes?

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We were reliant on log our burner + using 47kg gas bottles to run our gas for cooking & heating in our bungelow . They have shot up in price of late and with our local gas supplier budget gas in Telford closing down ,We have had to source another supplier which cost a lot more .
I have brought an air fryer and ninja 15 in 1 as I had no electric cooking equipment at home . We mostly cook on the log burner through the winter months but as spring approaches hopefully won't need to light it till late evening .
So was thinking of using my Mr D and my new equipment more.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Ven ,yes with the energy hikes that's what prompted me to get the Mr D out again.
How do you adapt your recipes?
Itā€™s mainly guesswork to be honest. Anything I could cook on the hob or oven (that has the minimum required liquid) can work I think. The Spicy African stew with peanut butter weā€™ve discussed on here before for example was a hob recipe.

It might involve using boneless meat instead of with bones for space and cooking time purposes, upping the liquid portion a little. Throwing more of the ingredients in together at the start rather than too many stages. I hope that makes sense?

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Also I havenā€™t done it yet but I know some people cook whole chickens and joints of meat in it as a sort of pot roast with veggies and stock.
Yes I've don't that and they come out lovely , mostly do this when we are in van.
I just need to be more adventurous. šŸ’•

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
Thought about this for a while for the van, never thought about indoors. Use our slow cooker a lot, so could be useful. What is the best size for 2 people? Is the 3L one large enough for chicken and veg for 2? Is is suitable for an induction hob?

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have the 3 litre twin pot version. It will definitely feed 2 of you. For four of us the big pot is good and feeds us well (we are big eaters šŸ˜Š).

With the twin pot in I have cooked plenty of meals for the two of us doing rice in the top pot and curry/ stews in the bottom. Itā€™s also great for rice dishes such as Jambalaya.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I was just looking at the website and thinking that it would work very well for us.

Looks ideal for use in the van, prep a meal after breakfast and eat it later in the day with no additional faffing around.

Scrolling down the page under "Description" it does say that its suitable for Induction cooking, we have an induction hob at home.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I was just looking at the website and thinking that it would work very well for us.

Looks ideal for use in the van, prep a meal after breakfast and eat it later in the day with no additional faffing around.

Scrolling down the page under "Description" it does say that its suitable for Induction cooking, we have an induction hob at home.
It is great, the only thing you have to bear in mind is that it needs to be filled to a certain level for safe cooking and if youā€™re leaving it all day you will need to reheat briefly at the end. No problem to do that and still uses a fraction of the power on electric or gas.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
It is great, the only thing you have to bear in mind is that it needs to be filled to a certain level for safe cooking and if youā€™re leaving it all day you will need to reheat briefly at the end. No problem to do that and still uses a fraction of the power on electric or gas.
I can see why its so great to use in the van, I'd much rather prep a meal after breakfast than cook from scratch after a few hours of driving or walking or just lazing in the sun!

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have the older twin pot model Mr D . use the inner pot on induction and on log burner . After many conversations with others who swapped or upgraded to the newer models most said they preferred the older ones .

Reactions: Ven
OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
makes the most divine rice pudding using mr d's recipe..

Thanks it's a thumbs up of Amanda &Bill for the rice pudding šŸ‘
IMG_20220219_163908.jpg

RomaHoma

Free Member
Mar 29, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
A Class MH on Order
Exp
Newbie - previously caravanners.
I have a Mr D that Iā€™ve only used a couple of times so is up for sale if any one is interested. It has two inner pots and the extra glass lid so you can cook two things at once. Itā€™s heavy but I could get a cost for delivery if anyone is interested. I believe retail for this is around Ā£120, would take Ā£60 plus delivery costs.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Although it looks good, it's gust a modern version of the old hay oven and as I cannot do anything with it without waiting hours,
I think I'll stick to my 3ltr Pressure cooker that I have had for 22yrs.
It can cook a ready to eat stew, curry, steam pudding etc in the 20min it takes before Mr D is put in it's casing, so it saves time and money as once the pressure has built up, the heat can be turned down to minimum for the last 10mins.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Only really use for casseroles, having read all this must read the recipe book and use more, particularly like the jacket potato idea

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Only really use for casseroles, having read all this must read the recipe book and use more, particularly like the jacket potato idea

but IF I read correctly, one has to put the cooked potatoes into an oven to crisp up the skin??:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back