Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

A quick update on insurance costs.

I've ran a parallel NFU quote today because Nicky and I are likely to be moving house (Durham is our temporary location) and the new quote is a tad over £1,300 without security and just over £1,100 with a Cat-4 (-15%) system fitted.

If we garage the van then the cost is likely to reduce even further.

That's good news.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Team,

A quick update on insurance costs.

I've ran a parallel NFU quote today because Nicky and I are likely to be moving house (Durham is our temporary location) and the new quote is a tad over £1,300 without security and just over £1,100 with a Cat-4 (-15%) system fitted.

If we garage the van then the cost is likely to reduce even further.

That's good news.
Sorry what do you mean by parallel Andrew?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Sorry what do you mean by parallel Andrew?

G'Day Michael,

One quote for our current abode and a second parallel quote for a future primary home purchase. The £1,300 quote mentioned above is for Mainland Shetland but we are looking at the central Highlands too. I'm not going to mess the NFU around any further but I now have an indication of what we'll have to pay at whatever location we end up.

Your questions on the NFU thread got me thinking about the relevance of postcodes and our future moves etc.

This is a very complicated year for us so we're juggling lots of things. The motorhome option is just one piece of the jigsaw.

Regards,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Evening all,

We're supposed to be visiting Morelo, RS and N&B this week but after checking the Companies House database it confirms my tip-off that RS Motorhomes has undergone a couple of insolvency cases, once in 2015 and the second occassion in 2018.

Is this a risky company to buy from guys?

Regards,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
ceejayt will advise as he has successfully paid money and got a motorhome, others have not been so lucky.

Thanks Michael, I believe CJ is very happy with the RS but I would be really interested to know why RS has experienced so many issues over the last 60-months. If it was a normal business then I certainly wouldn't be investing in its share scheme with that kind of performance.

One for you while I'm at it please.

This may be a silly question but what constitutes a liner-class van?

I've seen the TW advertisements, screenshot below, whereby TW stipulate that an N&B Flair is a Liner class MoHo.

......If that's the case for N&B then why do Morelo only have a Palace Liner & Emperor Liner but not a Home Liner?

TIA, Andrew

Screenshot_20200302-201223_Samsung Internet.jpg

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Andrew, I think the term Liner is generic for a large motor home. Morelo use the addition of "Liner" where the model is manufactured on a Truck chassis, so a Palace is on a Daily chassis and Palace Liner is on either a Eurocargo or Mercedes Atego chassis, similarly Empire. They don't build a Home on a truck chassis Of course the edges are muddied by this Morelo designation, on the German forum LinerTreff for example there are many members with Flairs and basic Palace's for that matter who clearly consider they have a Liner.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
G'Day Michael,

One quote for our current abode and a second parallel quote for a future primary home purchase. The £1,300 quote mentioned above is for Mainland Shetland but we are looking at the central Highlands too. I'm not going to mess the NFU around any further but I now have an indication of what we'll have to pay at whatever location we end up.

Your questions on the NFU thread got me thinking about the relevance of postcodes and our future moves etc.

This is a very complicated year for us so we're juggling lots of things. The motorhome option is just one piece of the jigsaw.

Regards,

Andrew
So thats interesting your original storage address was a C and your premium was into £2k plus, now on what I assume is an A band the rate goes down dramatically. A clear correlation worth noting. I think NFU do have their own risk bandings, this was apparant to me when I was talking about my home insurance with them. They could not quote because they said I was in a Flood zone. We are not, at least according to the government and I have lived here for 20 years and never a sign. But my discussion revealed that they have their own flood risk assessment.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Andrew, I think the term Liner is generic for a large motor home. Morelo use the addition of "Liner" where the model is manufactured on a Truck chassis, so a Palace is on a Daily chassis and Palace Liner is on either a Eurocargo or Mercedes Atego chassis, similarly Empire. They don't build a Home on a truck chassis Of course the edges are muddied by this Morelo designation, on the German forum LinerTreff for example there are many members with Flairs and basic Palace's for that matter who clearly consider they have a Liner.
Well I am pleased that Andrew didn't address that question to me as I would have struggled to answer with any conviction, reading your effort Michael I can go along with that although there are still examples that try to muddy the water, PhoeniX for example call everything "liner" Midi, Maxi and Top.

The dictionary says; "a large luxurious passenger ship" which is why Google Chrome always comes out with "thick ship" when it translates on linerTreff, don't know where it get "dick ship" from though, Ah OK "thick" is "dick" in German ;)

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well I am pleased that Andrew didn't address that question to me as I would have struggled to answer with any conviction, reading your effort Michael I can go along with that although there are still examples that try to muddy the water, PhoeniX for example call everything "liner" Midi, Maxi and Top.

The dictionary says; "a large luxurious passenger ship" which is why Google Chrome always comes out with "thick ship" when it translates on linerTreff, don't know where it get "dick ship" from though, Ah OK "thick" is "dick" in German ;)

Martin
Well that cleared that up then :LOL:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You might be right Jon, when N+B had the Clou it was a Clou "liner" and the Flair was just a Flair, now the Clou is no more ? the Flair is "liner" class.

Martin
Its a shame that they don't do a decent kitchen in the shorter Flairs, it would be a natural progression for many Arto owners, but spend twice as much and a kitchen that is virtually useless!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Thanks for that Michael as I initially thought I had posed a duff question.

.........so for Morelo vans it's all do to with the truck chassis and for other brands it's all to do with marketing albeit when you're paying £200+K for a big van then I suspect you can get away with the liner name.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks for that Michael as I initially thought I had posed a duff question.

.........so for Morelo vans it's all do to with the truck chassis and for other brands it's all to do with marketing albeit when you're paying £200+K for a big van then I suspect you can get away with the liner name.
I think we are getting into the realms of whose 6 inches looks bigger; ;) personally I think that Morelo pitch it about right with the differential being the chassis. Martin and Jon referred to the N+B Clou Liner, which I thought was based on a truck chassis.... incoming.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
So thats interesting your original storage address was a C and your premium was into £2k plus, now on what I assume is an A band the rate goes down dramatically. A clear correlation worth noting. I think NFU do have their own risk bandings, this was apparant to me when I was talking about my home insurance with them. They could not quote because they said I was in a Flood zone. We are not, at least according to the government and I have lived here for 20 years and never a sign. But my discussion revealed that they have their own flood risk assessment.

Yes, agreed, the bands have changed from C (£2,700) to A (£1,300) but when I spoke with the lady yesterday we both agreed that the 15-hour ferry trip to Aberdeen, plus the booking system, would probably deter the most resilient of Morelo thieves.

I'm not sure that Shetland would be the best comparison for most but our alternative property in the Highlands could well be more appropriate - and this one comes with a 12m Hutch (I've stolen your terminology there) (y):cool:

We were intending to be off to TW and Premium today but this house stuff has got in the way a bit and we'll be off on Thursday instead.

All the best,

Andrew

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think we are getting into the realms of whose 6 inches looks bigger; ;) personally I think that Morelo pitch it about right with the differential being the chassis. Martin and Jon referred to the N+B Clou Liner, which I thought was based on a truck chassis.... incoming.
Indeed it was Michael? So it backs up your truck chassis argument, then they go and call the Flair “liner” class as they no longer produce a Clou although they use Clou line on the Arto:LOL:

Martin

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Evening all,

We're supposed to be visiting Morelo, RS and N&B this week but after checking the Companies House database it confirms my tip-off that RS Motorhomes has undergone a couple of insolvency cases, once in 2015 and the second occassion in 2018.

Is this a risky company to buy from guys?

Regards,

Andrew
I have bought from them three times since 2013. Yes, they went through a bad patch in 2015 including while I was waiting for my delivery but to the best of my knowledge no customer lost any money or vehicle.

I think 2018 was simply the split of the sales and manufacturing businesses into two separate new entities. Not a financial problem in that year.

Best bet is to visit the factory and also meet with Alison Rowe (one of the owners) and discuss it with her directly if you are concerned. She will also give you a good tour of the factory and you will see for yourselves just how busy they are.

I am a happy three times owner, particularly with my latest one in 2019

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Martin
Basically a Land Yacht :LOL:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have bought from them three times since 2013. Yes, they went through a bad patch in 2015 including while I was waiting for my delivery but to the best of my knowledge no customer lost any money or vehicle.

I think 2018 was simply the split of the sales and manufacturing businesses into two separate new entities. Not a financial problem in that year.

Best bet is to visit the factory and also meet with Alison Rowe (one of the owners) and discuss it with her directly if you are concerned. She will also give you a good tour of the factory and you will see for yourselves just how busy they are.

I am a happy three times owner, particularly with my latest one in 2019

Thanks for the note - it gives a good insight. I'll visit RS in April on our way down South to the Concorde dealer and I think I will take the opportunity to ask AR a few questions.

Very best,

Andrew

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Maybe with the Euro at 1.14** all the buzz for a new Morelo may be fading? A 6% increase in effective price in just a few weeks!
Still about 3% better than when we ordered and and we are up about 6.5% total with the exchange rate we got hedging on Revolut, no we didn't fix the rate ;) anybody ordering now has 6-9 months of "rate watching" to look forward to.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Maybe with the Euro at 1.14** all the buzz for a new Morelo may be fading? A 6% increase in effective price in just a few weeks!
I'm kicking myself that I didn't swap some a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that will hopefully come back up a bit after the budget

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi,

I can't seem to find the actual question but the height of the Morelo Palace is shown as 3.4m when running

Hi Peter, it was a question relating to the suspension system on the Palace and how high the rear end could be raised at the press of a button.

Regards,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Still about 3% better than when we ordered and and we are up about 6.5% total with the exchange rate we got hedging on Revolut, no we didn't fix the rate ;) anybody ordering now has 6-9 months of "rate watching" to look forward to.

Martin

Ah, but if I use your particular purchase model for a second sir (and its timelines) then in theory I don't need to order the van until January 2024 :giggle:

........and the rates could be fantastic by then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back