Free Member
Oct 30, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 540
Exp
Since 2008
It's a very good point you make but I don't always associate expensive toys to people with money these days.

I have so many hard working pals who will buy a luxury item just because it's either 'their thing/passion' or, because they feel special when driving it and it gives them a break from their otherwise crappy life.

There's a guy who lives just 7-miles away from Nicky and I who spent a fortune on a MoHo and he keeps it in his garden which, incidentally, backs onto his 2-bedroom pit village home. The MoHo is just his thing!

(We own a PVC)........and were told by a grumpy old English tourist in Shetland last year that he considered PVCs a good option for people who couldn't afford a proper MoHo.

That said, if someone is truely minted then they wouldn't be faffing around with motorhomes in the first place. A few years ago I was a minion in a Saudi run Oil&Gas project and the owner was so rich that he would probably buy 200 Morelos for his serving staff as Xmas bonuses. (He wouldn't know what a Morello was TBH but he could probably recall the manufacturer of his $200-Million yacht, lol).

If you're happy with something and it helps make you smile or, it gives you a lift to an otherwise boring life, then go for it as life is too short

Regards,

Andrew

A PVC is one of the best vehicles for Shetland, had a great time in ours last year, got to some amazing places a bigger vehicle would struggle, 6 weeks on Orkney and Shetland, only one camp site to wash some clothes! Having said that reached the stage/age where a bit more comfort would be appreciated so switched to the most compact coachbuilt we could find, should still be fine to go back!

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Spill the beans sir. Has this anything to do with Mike's recent trip to Germany?
Not a Morelo on this occasion, my wife would certainly have my guts for garters and my boss would instigate an internal review into his accounts:LOL:
However, I will be the proud owner of a new to me N&B Arto 76E with all the bells and whistles, just two more sleeps.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is just me guessing here but if I had used the screen price of the £302,000 in-stock 9.5m long Palace at Premium Motorhomes then I would not have been successful with NFU.

I have a strong feeling that I was on their upper threshold at £250K.

Nicky and I have had a chat this afternoon and, based upon the various points in this thread, we've decided to put the overseas house option back on the table.

All the best,

Andrew
Well Andrew you certainly can't be accused of not exploring all the options, this is a bit like our thought processes before we bought the Flair, place in Leith docks Edinburgh or a place in France or a motorhome, we decided having another property would 1/ always be in the same place and 2/ would always need DIY and gardening doing and we were looking to explore not make ourselves more work.

Martin

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Well Andrew you certainly can't be accused of not exploring all the options, this is a bit like our thought processes before we bought the Flair, place in Leith docks Edinburgh or a place in France or a motorhome, we decided having another property would 1/ always be in the same place and 2/ would always need DIY and gardening doing and we were looking to explore not make ourselves more work.

Martin
We also find ourselves having to explain to others that have no interest in motorhoming.

Yes, it's a lot of money and some might say extravagant. We could put the money towards bricks and mortar, purchasing a holiday home but like you Martin, it's fixed in the same place. Would we go there every weekend and every holiday we had from work. The answer is no, we would end up paying to go somewhere different for a change.

To us, it's our holiday home on wheels and whilst we can, we will certainly make the most of it and explore many different locations in our own boutique hotel on wheels. Knowing who slept in the bed, who sat on the loo last, eating what we want when we want and going to different places, that if we don't like we move on.

Andrew, from reading your posts on MFun, you come across as a very sensible guy and will certainly do what is right for you both exploring all avenues and never going into a situation blind. With whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck but I certainly know where my money would be going, MIKE..........:LOL:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A PVC is one of the best vehicles for Shetland, had a great time in ours last year, got to some amazing places a bigger vehicle would struggle, 6 weeks on Orkney and Shetland, only one camp site to wash some clothes! Having said that reached the stage/age where a bit more comfort would be appreciated so switched to the most compact coachbuilt we could find, should still be fine to go back!

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Hi Jon, you make some great points sir. You may have seen my Shetland thread last year (2 x 1-month sessions in Shetland) and we had a truly fantatsic time. You wouldn't get a big van in a place like this (RAF Skaw old intercept station):

20191020_135244.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Martin

I'll give it another week Martin and then we may have to do coffee again.

I did think about running off to the French Foreign Legion the other day but I'm too old - and Nicky said she wouldn't let me go anyway. :wasntme:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
[/QUOTE]
We could put the money towards bricks and mortar, purchasing a holiday home but like you Martin, it's fixed in the same place.

Andrew, from reading your posts on MFun, you come across as a very sensible guy.........

Hi Mike,

I really liked your whole post but I have specifically emphasised the two bits above.

I'll start with the second bit: Nope, I've got no sense whatsoever these days so I think I'm a bit bu@@ered.

Back to the first bit: I totally agree with you sir but IMO there must be something nice about jumping on an aircraft with a small bag and flying to your house in the sun.

Just think, there would be no worries about parking the van......or site/aire selection.......or scratching it........or crashing or recovery.........or insurance quotes.........or the dieselgate-thing...........or storage.......or warranty & repair work.......or height/route selection worries........or exchange rates........or methods of payment transfer.

Just pack and go!

Umm, I'll give this one some more thought.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
A few years ago we sold our Motorhome and thought we would rent holiday homes, had a week in a Gite in Normandy and 2 weeks on the west coast of Brittany in a chalet, it rained everyday for 3 weeks but was sunny further down the west coast of France for most of that period. On our return bought another Motorhome with the ability to spontaneously move at any time!!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That looks just the job. Will get a quote and report back
So, had two quotes from these guys...

Thought I would go big so I could maybe pop a trailer underneath as well - requested a quote for 12m by 6m - their basic shelter with no extras ie posts and a roof - just over £25k - definitely more than I want to spend.

So, thinking it would make significant difference I requested a quote for 9m by 4.5m - ie. 40.5sq metres versus 72sq metres in the first quote - they cam back with £21k - just a 4k reduction - won't be doing that either.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Hi Mike,

I really liked your whole post but I have specifically emphasised the two bits above.

I'll start with the second bit: Nope, I've got no sense whatsoever these days so I think I'm a bit bu@@ered.

Back to the first bit: I totally agree with you sir but IMO there must be something nice about jumping on an aircraft with a small bag and flying to your house in the sun.

Just think, there would be no worries about parking the van......or site/aire selection.......or scratching it........or crashing or recovery.........or insurance quotes.........or the diselegate-thing...........or storage.......or warranty & repair work.......or height/route selection worries........or exchange rates........or methods of payment transfer.

Just pack and go!

Umm, I'll give this one some more thought.

Haha, my closing was me shouting to Mike at Premium Motorhomes, my name is actually Christian:LOL:

So in response to jumping on a plane & house in the sun.......

You have a property that is difficult to oversee due to it being abroad, you have all the same issues as you would owning a property in the UK.
You book a flight, you have to either arrange a lift or sort airport parking; if the latter you have the same concerns of leaving any vehicle.
You then have to get there and hope there's no delays. You then sit on an aircraft for however many hours with others sneezing and coughing hoping you won't end up with something.
You still have insurance to sort and maintenance issues and associated costs.
You also have to decide whether you rent it out whilst you are not using, as a place lived in is better than one that is not. However, this in it's self brings along a whole different ball game.......

It may well suit others but I'll personally stick with the motorhome:giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Just think, there would be no worries about parking the van......or site/aire selection.......or scratching it........or crashing or recovery.........or insurance quotes.........or the dieselgate-thing...........or storage.......or warranty & repair work.......or height/route selection worries........or exchange rates........or methods of payment transfer.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I can say that in 10 years of owning a MH those things have caused me llittle worry.

As Christian has written there are other things to cause problems with a fixed property, but he did not include the fact that you still have to insure, get money transferred to pay taxes, repair work etc.

And you still end up with a property in the same place.

I had a sailing boat in Greece for 30 years, which could have its own problems and quite a lot of work but I enjoyed the trip down from UK and then the sailing in Greece including 70 islands and the mainland. Only changed for MH to be able to see inside Europe, but never thought of a property - not enough travel for me.

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Martin
pre MH We had a small place in France. The first few years were good because we had businesses the kids were still at school and we had to fit into school holidays so our holidays were shorter. But as soon as we got a bit freer we found that we had done everything to be done around the house and we wanted to travel further and for longer and it soon got that we were forcing ourselves to the house to maintain it ( turning up with a boot full of paint and gardening tools) and keep the neighbours happy so they kept an eye on it so bit the bullet and sold it. Selling it was much more difficult than buying it ( quelle surprise) it took 2 years and a whole load of bureacracy that we had miraculously sidestepped when we purchased.

If we were to do the foreign house again we would rent so we were flexible but had no maintenance and and probably use it as a gap in a mh ing trip.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We also find ourselves having to explain to others that have no interest in motorhoming.

Yes, it's a lot of money and some might say extravagant. We could put the money towards bricks and mortar, purchasing a holiday home but like you Martin, it's fixed in the same place. Would we go there every weekend and every holiday we had from work. The answer is no, we would end up paying to go somewhere different for a change.

To us, it's our holiday home on wheels and whilst we can, we will certainly make the most of it and explore many different locations in our own boutique hotel on wheels. Knowing who slept in the bed, who sat on the loo last, eating what we want when we want and going to different places, that if we don't like we move on.

Andrew, from reading your posts on MFun, you come across as a very sensible guy and will certainly do what is right for you both exploring all avenues and never going into a situation blind. With whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck but I certainly know where my money would be going, MIKE..........:LOL:

Ooops, sorry Christian. Just like my school report "must try harder".

All the best,

Andrew

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We used to drive but the other thing I forgot to mention was that quite a few people with french/spanish houses who are constantly worried about the air link, many are serviced by Flybe who are on borrowed time and others are suffering the Ryanair experience.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Back to a few more Morelo questions if I may:

1. When did Morelo stop using the Mastervolt system?

2. What is the garage payload capacity of a Palace on the Iveco chassis?

3. Does anyone know how high the rear end of the van can be raised when the rear suspension is maxxed out? This could be very important to us.

4. Has anyone fitted an extra Lithium battery themselves or do you just pay Morelo to do it.

5. FYI: NFU has just emailed stating that a 15% reduction on the premium is achievable if a Cat-4 system is fitted.

.......and finally what has happened to the € exchange rate today. The van we like has just gone up by £7,000. I appreciate the fact that we're approaching a traumatic period with the virus but does this bloody corona-thing not know that it is potentially going to cost me a lot of money.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Thought I would go big so I could maybe pop a trailer underneath as well - requested a quote for 12m by 6m - their basic shelter with no extras ie posts and a roof - just over £25k - definitely more than I want to spend.

So, thinking it would make significant difference I requested a quote for 9m by 4.5m - ie. 40.5sq metres versus 72sq metres in the first quote - they cam back with £21k - just a 4k reduction - won't be doing that either.h s
Thats a shocking quote. Ive looked back through my invoices, the steel frame for the one I posted earlier was just over £7K erected. Ok I had to put the base down and clad it etc but mine was a central garage at 7m x 5m with a cantilevered car port each side 7x3 and 8x3.

If you re happy with a shelter I recon you should be able to get a 9.5m x 4m x 3.5m?? frame on plugs for about £8k (less if you do the groundworks) and then put a wood frame and some polycarb sheet on top of it Job done.

otherwise have a look at this https://www.murraysteelbuildings.com/product/camper-van-garage/
Its the wrong size but they also do bespoke.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Back to a few more Morelo questions if I may:

1. When did Morelo stop using the Mastervolt system?
2018 around May or June

2. What is the garage payload capacity of a Palace on the Iveco chassis?
250kg

3. Does anyone know how high the rear end of the van can be raised when the rear suspension is maxxed out? This could be very important to us.
Is that a Daily chassis with VB air? If so @OurMoreloLife

4. Has anyone fitted an extra Lithium battery themselves or do you just pay Morelo to do it.
Ordered from factory, but adding a Super B would be easy

5. FYI: NFU has just emailed stating that a 15% reduction on the premium is achievable if a Cat-4 system is fitted.
Useful

.......and finally what has happened to the € exchange rate today. The van we like has just gone up by £7,000. I appreciate the fact that we're approaching a traumatic period with the virus but does this bloody corona-thing not know that it is potentially going to cost me a lot of money.
Answered in italics in your quote above so "expand"
Michael

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

So, thinking it would make significant difference I requested a quote for 9m by 4.5m - ie. 40.5sq metres versus 72sq metres in the first quote - they cam back with £21k - just a 4k reduction - won't be doing that either.

Crickey, CJ, that's super expensive.

We have a company (S&A) close to us who build all the farmers/utility sheds and they'll do a fair sized building for reasonable money.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Well here in Poland we had ours(10m x 4m) put up on concrete pillars (some extended off outhouse roof for less than £2,000

Geoff

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That's really useful Michael - many thanks indeed.

It's good that Peter OurMoreloLife may be able to advise on the rear height question of the air suspension.

All the best,

Andrew
On the Mastervolt question Morelo have since 2018 been using Buttner. The 3kw Buttner unit is rather basic in comparison to both Mastervolt and Victron. They gave up Mastervolt after a torrid warranty experience which resulted in the requirement of too much skilled intervention to resolve simple issues. The average MH user has a very limited understanding of MH electrical installations and the complexity of Mastervolt made life impossible for many. That said the Buttner was a step into the prehistoric in my opinion by comparison. It does not have 2 AC outs as both Victron and Mastervolt, its UPS function is limited although that has now been resolved to a degree with their addition of a remote input EHU limiter similar to the Victrons digital remote which now enables more flexible EHU breaker limit settings in 1 amp increments remotely from the main panel. Make sure you specify this or you can retro fit it as it uses the same Buttner remote display cable that Morelo install.
Personally I went for taking the Buttner out as soon as I landed in the UK. I had it replaced with a Victron Multi and associated digital remote and Venus GX. I then sub divided the AC electrics added a couple of new MCB's and RCD and bought the Victrons AC2 into play in conjunction with an Alde load monitor. Now I have a good system that can be remotely controlled and manages the power use very intelligently. But that's a whole new thread.
Michael

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
On the Mastervolt question Morelo have since 2018 been using Buttner. The 3kw Buttner unit is rather basic in comparison to both Mastervolt and Victron. They gave up Mastervolt after a torrid warranty experience which resulted in the requirement of too much skilled intervention to resolve simple issues. The average MH user has a very limited understanding of MH electrical installations and the complexity of Mastervolt made life impossible for many. That said the Buttner was a step into the prehistoric in my opinion by comparison. It does not have 2 AC outs as both Victron and Mastervolt, its UPS function is limited although that has now been resolved to a degree with their addition of a remote input EHU limiter similar to the Victrons digital remote which now enables more flexible EHU breaker limit settings in 1 amp increments remotely from the main panel. Make sure you specify this or you can retro fit it as it uses the same Buttner remote display cable that Morelo install.
Personally I went for taking the Buttner out as soon as I landed in the UK. I had it replaced with a Victron Multi and associated digital remote and Venus GX. I then sub divided the AC electrics added a couple of new MCB's and RCD and bought the Victrons AC2 into play in conjunction with an Alde load monitor. Now I have a good system that can be remotely controlled and manages the power use very intelligently. But that's a whole new thread.
Michael

Thanks Michael, all very interesting stuff and I certainly don't claim to understand it all. I did hear that Mastervolt was an absolute pain and it needed reprogramming after any fault being identified to the system.

If you have taken the stance to replace a good chunk of the electrics on your van then can I assume now that your warranty is null and void for the power bit?

Which leads me to ask If Morelo is happy for an owner to modify their vans slightly without any warranty issues being incurred.

All the best,

Andrew

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks Michael, all very interesting stuff and I certainly don't claim to understand it all. I did hear that Mastervolt was an absolute pain and it needed reprogramming after any fault being identified to the system.

If you have taken the stance to replace a good chunk of the electrics on your van then can I assume now that your warranty is null and void for the power bit?

Which leads me to ask If Morelo is happy for an owner to modify their vans slightly without any warranty issues being incurred.

All the best,

Andrew
It was a point of discussion and agreement with RL no less. Our warranty stands save if it is subsequently proven that the Victron was the cause of failure in one of their warranted systems.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It was a point of discussion and agreement with RL no less. Our warranty stands save if it is subsequently proven that the Victron was the cause of failure in one of their warranted systems.

Sounds to me as if Morelo is a very customer-related company for such things as mods etc.

The whole mod-thing is good to know albeit I'm not suggesting for one minute that I'll be out with the drill and the jigsaw :)

I was thinking more along the lines of fitting an air freshener and a set of fluffy dice above the mirror.......and then a few more daring mods later on.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm not taking the proverbial here but I wonder if the big Morelo meeting will still go ahead in May, i.e. now that the likes of Switzerland has just banned group gatherings of 1,000 or more. It may catch-on.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm not taking the proverbial here but I wonder if the big Morelo meeting will still go ahead in May, i.e. now that the likes of Switzerland has just banned group gatherings of 1,000 or more. It may catch-on.
My Money is on NOT although we have booked the ferry (y) hopefully they won't shut the borders before we get out end of March.

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My Money is on NOT although we have booked the ferry (y) hopefully they won't shut the borders before we get out end of March.

Martin

Martin

Have you thought of the new MH being quarantined because it has one Chinese chip in it?

[Hush your mouth Geoff :devil:]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back