MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (50 Viewers)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Greek Easter tradition the boiled eggs. Not usually painted but they use a special dye in the water when hard boiling.
It's a family tradition in our household where every one gets an egg and then they try to break their neighbours egg by one holding it steady and another hitting that egg with theirs. Keeps going until one ultimate winner with an unbroken egg.
Supposed to keep the winning egg for good luck.
Must be some significance to this but don't know what the symbolism is.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Why do Greeks crack eggs on Easter?

The Red Egg Game Is a Tradition for Greek Easter

The word tsougrisma means "clinking together" or "clashing." In Greek, it is τσούγκρισμα and is pronounced TSOO-grees-mah. The cracking tradition symbolizes Christ's resurrection from the dead and birth into eternal life.
Google has an answer for almost everything.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why do Greeks crack eggs on Easter?

The Red Egg Game Is a Tradition for Greek Easter

The word tsougrisma means "clinking together" or "clashing." In Greek, it is τσούγκρισμα and is pronounced TSOO-grees-mah. The cracking tradition symbolizes Christ's resurrection from the dead and birth into eternal life.
Google has an answer for almost everything.
It's amazing the things people do because of a story 🤣

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
It's why I love the coast ... love the wild sea .. and the water being turquoise just makes it look beautiful. Still stormy this morning. Downside is the van is covered in spray .
Just love the videos you put of the sea on polarsteps. Especially the sunset ones.

Carol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Stopped at a bakers earlier for bread and a frappe , got a lovely big loaf , a nice bacon/egg/cheese/ham sandwich type thing for lunch , a selection of Easter baklava, a lovely frappe .... not sure if she got my order mixed up but I seem to have acquired an addition strange loaf of bread with a snooker ball in the middle 🤔

£14 all in .

I've had to slice up the big loaf and put it in freezer as I'll never eat all that bread before it goes stale . Lovely bread though 😋 View attachment 893155View attachment 893156View attachment 893157

The corinth canal is open again ...only took them 3 years to remove the blockage lol View attachment 893158View attachment 893159

And how sweet is this .....I'd love something vintage like this .. View attachment 893160
Beautiful coach in great condition

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It's Easter Sunday today in Greece. Orthodox Christians

Dogs enjoyed the egg though.

The bread is lovely and I think it was free. 😁
Years ago, when our kids were young, we happened to be on holiday at what turned out to be Easter in the Greek Orthodox Church (we didn't realise because we'd already had Easter at home). So yes, it came as a surprise when we received coloured eggs and other small gifts for the children while staying in an apartment complex. :giggle:

And yes, I'll bet your bread was complimentary - the Greeks can be really generous about such things. (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Years ago, when our kids were young, we happened to be on holiday at what turned out to be Easter in the Greek Orthodox Church (we didn't realise because we'd already had Easter at home). So yes, it came as a surprise when we received coloured eggs and other small gifts for the children while staying in an apartment complex. :giggle:

And yes, I'll bet your bread was complimentary - the Greeks can be really generous about such things. (y)
Yes I'd already driven away before I opened the carrier bag and initially thought she'd given me the wrong bag , but all the other stuff was what I'd ordered so I'm guessing they were giving the easter bread to each customer.

Very tasty it is though and soft but crusty.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had no idea the Greek Orthodox Church celebrated Easter later …

Glad it was nice - and even better if it was free!
Neither did I.... everyday is a schoolday as they say. I did wonder when I was in lidl last week they had Easter rabbits and eggs for sale in the aisles. And I heard something on the tannoi about good friday. I dismissed it thinking I'd misheard ..then that place I was parked on Friday with the waves had a huge crowd of very well dressed people arrive around 7.30pm at the church and that's when it clicked.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Neither did I.... everyday is a schoolday as they say. I did wonder when I was in lidl last week they had Easter rabbits and eggs for sale in the aisles. And I heard something on the tannoi about good friday. I dismissed it thinking I'd misheard ..then that place I was parked on Friday with the waves had a huge crowd of very well dressed people arrive around 7.30pm at the church and that's when it clicked.

See here for difference between Julian and Gregorian calendars,

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If we want to feed Greek strays, dogs or cats, we will do it when we are there.
Good stuff , if you let me know when you're heading over I'll let all the dogs we meet know and tell them to look out for you 😁

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Stopped at a bakers earlier for bread and a frappe , got a lovely big loaf , a nice bacon/egg/cheese/ham sandwich type thing for lunch , a selection of Easter baklava, a lovely frappe .... not sure if she got my order mixed up but I seem to have acquired an addition strange loaf of bread with a snooker ball in the middle 🤔

£14 all in .

I've had to slice up the big loaf and put it in freezer as I'll never eat all that bread before it goes stale . Lovely bread though 😋 View attachment 893155View attachment 893156View attachment 893157

The corinth canal is open again ...only took them 3 years to remove the blockage lol View attachment 893158View attachment 893159

And how sweet is this .....I'd love something vintage like this .. View attachment 893160
What type/make of bus is it?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Some of us don’t have the opportunity, so happy to use a proxi! 👍

For several years in Poros I helped a charity called Poros Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) when volunteer vets from UK visited to neuter all the cats that we could round up. I drove the van from the collection points to the operating venue. and then back to release the cats after they recovered. We worked all day for 3-4 days.

It was successful in keeping the cat population down which was good because they got fed at tables during the tourist season but when the tourists left..........

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So this morning we have been to the vets in kranidi ....boy that took a long time ..you just can't rush a Greek lol. But anyway after a lot of tooing and froing I got blu a second vaccine but he wouldn't do 3 years he says it's not possible in Greece. So we have 2 years which is fine I guess as the other 3 will need done at the same time . It cost €65 which again seems a little expensive compared to how much I paid for all blus vaccines, passport and worm and tic treatment etc but hey ho it's done now .

I wanted lidl but they're closed for easter Monday. And we are now in kalida doing laundry it's a scorcher today so not the best day to be doing it is what it is.

The old couple in front if me in the vets were having their poor wee 15 Yr old dog put to sleep. It had kidney failure , the 3rd one they've lost in the last 2 years. Which made me think maybe having my dogs ages all so close together wasn't a good idea. But I'll try not to think about that.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Blu’s getting pretty big now compared to when you first got her. Gotta be well healthy. 👍
Yeah she's now the biggest in size ...but ela is a bit heavier at the minute but I think by the time we are heading home blu will be heavier again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back