LPG / GLP /Autogas Repsol Spain (1 Viewer)

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve just been to a station (listed on mylpg.eu) near Laredo. The attendant said there’s a rule in all of Spain that one cannot fill gas bottles - and pointed to the graphic on the pump. I explained and showed him my external filling point - he still said no. However, he helpfully sent me to an ‘independent’ Repsol station about 15 Km away - who had no problem helping me fill. How have other Funsters fared in Spain?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I mentioned this on a post a week or two ago, there's been a few people on the Spanish motorhome forum. 😥
We are using our refillable at the moment so we will see what happens when we need to refill. 🤔 Bob.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Funny rule in all of Spain if he sent you 15 miles up the road to a garage that he obviously knows breaks this eu rule then?
Think it will be a rule of that garage only.
their loss

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
1967bowesj
It's not an EU rule it's a Repsol one. 🙄
Its common knowledge that autogas lpg gpl is for powered engines not cooking whatever country your in, 🤔 and I would disagree with the usual remark
' its their loss ' having used refillable bottles since 2007 the small amount we buy, we are the ones who have the loss and convenience was the reason we have them. 😎 Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Filled up in Respol many times with no problems. Sometimes the attendants did it for me. I do have a external refill though.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
kev54. Never had a problem at any Repsol outlet re Autogas, in either Spain or Portugal.
The last 3 x top ups were done by attendants. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Yes we have never had a problem Jock, loads of Spanish have them for the same reason we do, the convenience when travelling. 🙂
It's not the cost of gas here, a large Propano is only €18.
It makes me wonder if the forecourts are franchised and maybe there was an incident at one of the Repsol garages and they have taken that decision, or maybe someone has been caught filling a non refillable bottle, and they have said no bottles to be filled. 🤔 Bob.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It makes me wonder if the forecourts are franchised and maybe there was an incident at one of the Repsol garages and they have taken that decision, or maybe someone has been caught filling a non refillable bottle, and they have said no bottles to be filled. 🤔 Bob.
That's probably more like it Bob. A bit like the tale of Morrisons no longer allowing cylinder refilling, due to an incident on one of their forecourts. I've been to umpteen Morrisons over the years, and not once have I been refused Autogas.

Cheers,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought it had always been the law that filling hab tanks/bottles wasn't allowed in Spain but I've never been refused.

Same in Italy I got refused there but next garage filled me up.

Got refused in Portugal told they don't fill bottles, pointed at my external filler and said it was a tank & they filled me.

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Having just returned from a 3 month tour of the Canaries, i can confirm some garages are refusing to refill, Cepsa have a policy not to fill you up, but some managers allow it. It is getting more difficult to fill up, but you will find some garages are ok

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We have been in Costa Blanca for 3 months and had no issues. The last time we filled up the attendant at the Repsol garage came out, screwed in an adapter and clipped the filler on for me. Repsol is state owned so if it Spanish law you would think they would know.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Never had a problem and to my amazement the Austrian couple I was travelling around with for a while had their 2 ordinary gas bottles filled for them on a forecourt in algeciras by an attendant using an adaptor the garage supplied and they put 21 litres in an 11kg bottle . Adding further amazement was the fact they did this while there were 4 guardia civil jeeps parked on the forecourt and all occupants were standing drinking coffee watching .
I personally retreated to the safety of my van on the other side of the forecourt lol.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought it had always been the law that filling hab tanks/bottles wasn't allowed in Spain but I've never been refused.

Same in Italy I got refused there but next garage filled me up.

Got refused in Portugal told they don't fill bottles, pointed at my external filler and said it was a tank & they filled me.
originally lpg was only allowed to be used legally for public services vehicles & taxi's, nothing else.To my knowledge that law still exists.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Never had a problem and to my amazement the Austrian couple I was travelling around with for a while had their 2 ordinary gas bottles filled for them on a forecourt in algeciras by an attendant using an adaptor the garage supplied and they put 21 litres in an 11kg bottle . Adding further amazement was the fact they did this while there were 4 guardia civil jeeps parked on the forecourt and all occupants were standing drinking coffee watching .
I personally retreated to the safety of my van on the other side of the forecourt lol.
Maybe the attendant mistook them for refillables Tam, especially if he wasn't trained properly. :(

Cheers,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe the attendant mistook them for refillables Tam, especially if he wasn't trained properly. :(

Cheers,

Possibly but the bottles were completely removed from the van and the woman in the garage supplied the adaptor ..

Martin said he got them filled there before Morocco too which is why he'd went back.

Dodgy

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You have to love Spain 🇪🇸 👍

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You have to love Spain 🇪🇸 👍
Screenshot_20230405-220917_Facebook.jpg

They was having bets on the Spanish forum, how far the Englishman would get before being stopped with the gas bottle on his roof, 🙄 probably all the way home trouble free. 😁
Or on a bad day a massive fine. 😎 Bob.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
View attachment 739321

They was having bets on the Spanish forum, how far the Englishman would get before being stopped with the gas bottle on his roof, 🙄 probably all the way home trouble free. 😁
Or on a bad day a massive fine. 😎 Bob.
We get vans in with larger gas bottles lying down being used on their sides ⚠️
Then want a warranty claim on a regulator 🤬
We trust nothing we’re told until we can actually see it in front of us these days 😂

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
On the rally we were on at Alannia Costa Blanc's this winter a chap who has a motorhome/caravan repair business did a talk one day. One of the things he highlighted was the number of people who were connecting Spanish propane cylinders to the BBQ point. Very dangerous.

Well if you were attentive you will be able to explain why to your audience on here. ;) :smiley:

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Well if you were attentive you will be able to explain why to your audience on here. ;) :smiley:
The practice is potentially highly dangerous for a number of possible reasons.

The first is the inlet does not have a pressure regulator built in, so if the gas bottle being used does not have a regulator fitted it will over pressurise the caravans internal pipework. It could also damage the regulator fitted inside the gas bottle locker by reverse pressurising it with bottle pressure on the wrong side of its diaphragm.

The same internal regulator may also leak gas especially if no gas bottle is connected.

Depending on the types of gas in the bottles if one is propane and the other is butane, the gasses may mix in the butane bottle rendering the butane bottle over pressurised . Whilst the bottle will almost certainly withstand the pressure increase, the Butane bottles over pressure safety features maybe compromised either it may release gas or it mail fail to function if there is a fire.

All in all - a highly unsafe practice.

However if the gas locker regulator has been disconnected and the pipe work sealed, and the external bottle is being used with the appropriate regulator, then there is unlikely to be a problem, but the the problem is how do you know its been done properly and safely.

If you are on a site and you are concerned, you should speak to the warden and point out your concern and ask for another pitch further away from the danger area.The warden (if they are familiar with good gas safety protocols) may take the matter up with caravanner concerned.

From memory.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Well if you were attentive you will be able to explain why to your audience on here.
On the rally we were on at Alannia Costa Blanc's this winter a chap who has a motorhome/caravan repair business did a talk one day. One of the things he highlighted was the number of people who were connecting Spanish propane cylinders to the BBQ point. Very dangerous.
can you explain rather than me guessing

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Not had a problem in Spain. I did fill up at a Repsol a couple of days ago, and the only problem was the 3 Dacias ahead of me in the queue. The pump was painfully slow and then all of the Dacia occupants needed to shop and visit the loo then chat for a bit before moving their cars. I may have sworn a bit.....

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Not had a problem in Spain. I did fill up at a Repsol a couple of days ago, and the only problem was the 3 Dacias ahead of me in the queue. The pump was painfully slow and then all of the Dacia occupants needed to shop and visit the loo then chat for a bit before moving their cars. I may have sworn a bit.....
I have had the same with a convertible BMW with a mother and 2 daughters. Fuel, toilet, browse and ice cream. How slow the day goes by.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I know - very annoying.

With our 7m MH and diesel filler on front wing I look for somewhere on the filling station to park while I pay. Anyway if I am using the second pump on the island the MH rear blocks the first pump so I pull forward to at least free the first pump. That is just going into pay, no shopping etc.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I have had the same with a convertible BMW with a mother and 2 daughters. Fuel, toilet, browse and ice cream. How slow the day goes by.
We had a similar experience in Spain. A singleton in a sports car parked in front of the LPG pump and then went into the shop. He was there for 10 minutes, then came out and made a call and lit a fag whilst leaning against his car. He was oblivious that he was blocking the pump. I eventually decided I wasn’t going to tolerate this and got out and went to tell him to ng well move his * ***** extension. Just as I approached him he threw his fag on the floor, got into his car and drove off, still yapping into his phone. Took me about fifty miles before my anger dissipated. I can smile about it now but then…….🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back