Lebara (fair useage §h!t£) (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Never had a problem before now but data stopped working.
I am a very low usage customer never ever getting close to data limit.

First " your phone settings are wrong"
Then after email to them: "you have used more data than you have used in the UK over the last 120 days you need to now pay per call, text and Mb".

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
: "you have used more data than you have used in the UK over the last 120 days
It's all down to this fair usage clause. We had the same. Happened once and we have now switched to IQ Go and use a TP-Link Mi-Fi type device.
I just keep a small 5Gb package Lebara SIM in the phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
you have used more data than you have used in the UK over the last 120 days
That's really sneaky of them, obviously we use more data abroad as we're away from WiFi.. Even after 1 week it will be more 🤔 how long have you been away?

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We've used multiple Lebara Sims (including some of the 1penny deals) on two extended European trips (one 12 weeks the other 10 weeks) without falling foul of the roaming fair use terms. We did make sure that the two months prior to going away each time we maxed out the data in the UK to get a good baseline UK usage - (downloaded and then deleted iPlayer films, etc.).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never had a problem before now but data stopped working.
I am a very low usage customer never ever getting close to data limit.

First " your phone settings are wrong"
Then after email to them: "you have used more data than you have used in the UK over the last 120 days you need to now pay per call, text and Mb".
You need to read the T&Cs, I know it's difficult to menfolk but sometimes has to be done! ;)

We have been hammering the 4 x 15gb Lebara sims we've got so that they are maxed out before we go on Wednesday that way we can use 60gb a month when in the EU without a worry, we've also got 2 x Asda 5gb sims which we've done the same with although they don't stipulate you need to do so.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Can Minxy or anyone point me to the Lebara terms and conditions please.
Their website just explains that you can use your data just like at home, I'm thinking the fair usage will only kick in if (in their opinion) you are unfairly abusing data allowance ie over 30GB 🤔

Screenshot_20240203_202258_Opera.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Might change to ID Mobile before we go away they have a 30GB cap on roaming.

Screenshot_20240203_214447_Opera.jpg

Other operators data caps:
Giffgaff 5GB
Talkmobile 5GB
Smarty 12GB
Lyca 12GB
Lebara 15GB

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Can Minxy or anyone point me to the Lebara terms and conditions please.
Their website just explains that you can use your data just like at home, I'm thinking the fair usage will only kick in if (in their opinion) you are unfairly abusing data allowance ie over 30GB 🤔

View attachment 861849
See -

This is the relevant bit-

Important bits to know -
This scheme is designed for customers who primarily live in the UK and make short trips to other European destinations. To safeguard against abuse, if your roaming usage is greater than your usage in the UK over any continuous 120-day period, you will be subject to a surcharge of 0.20p/MB (equivalent to £2/GB) for data, 0.04p/sec (equivalent to 2.4p/min) for outgoing calls, 0.01p/sec (equivalent to 0.6p/min) for incoming calls and 0.8p for sending an SMS. The surcharge is deducted from your Pay As You Go allowance. You will need to top up if you don't have any Pay As You Go credit on your account.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
See -

This is the relevant bit-

Important bits to know -
This scheme is designed for customers who primarily live in the UK and make short trips to other European destinations. To safeguard against abuse, if your roaming usage is greater than your usage in the UK over any continuous 120-day period, you will be subject to a surcharge of 0.20p/MB (equivalent to £2/GB) for data, 0.04p/sec (equivalent to 2.4p/min) for outgoing calls, 0.01p/sec (equivalent to 0.6p/min) for incoming calls and 0.8p for sending an SMS. The surcharge is deducted from your Pay As You Go allowance. You will need to top up if you don't have any Pay As You Go credit on your account.
So a 120 day period must elapse before they can say you've definitely used more data abroad, by which time we'll be back home 🤔

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
So a 120 day period must elapse before they can say you've definitely used more data abroad, by which time we'll be back home 🤔
I'm not certain, but I don't think that's how it works. It's to stop people buying a UK Lebera SIM and then immediately going abroad for an extended period.

If you get a Lebera Sim and absolutely hammer it in the UK for 60 days before going into the EU you should then be ok for the next 60 days in the EU as long as your usage there is within your specified allowance. From day 61 onwards in the EU you would appear to be on borrowed time, but we've been away with Lebera Sims for upto 12 weeks without falling foul of the policy,

If you barely use the SIM in the UK in the 60 days before going into the EU you're more likely to fall foul of the policy once abroad.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thing is I only have a 5gb plan in the UK so I'd have to switch to a 20gb plan a month earlier and start downloading something... Probably switch WiFi off and play the radio app for a week. What a faff.

Maybe a data card is the answer. Only problem with ID network I mentioned above is it uses Three 🙄... it's a few years now since I was on their sloooow network, might be ok now 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Thing is I only have a 5gb plan in the UK so I'd have to switch to a 20gb plan a month earlier and start downloading something... Probably switch WiFi off and play the radio app for a week. What a faff.

Maybe a data card is the answer. Only problem with ID network I mentioned above is it uses Three 🙄... it's a few years now since I was on their sloooow network, might be ok now 🤔
If you've only got a 5gb UK data plan, then 5gb will also be your EU monthly roaming limit.

It's not hard to burn through 5gb of data a month for the 2 months in the UK before you want to go to the EU. Just stream an hour or two of iPlayer or similar. 20gb isn't that much harder to get through either. It's a bit of a faff - but just download a couple of films and delete.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Might change to ID Mobile before we go away they have a 30GB cap on roaming.

View attachment 861875

Other operators data caps:
Giffgaff 5GB
Talkmobile 5GB
Smarty 12GB
Lyca 12GB
Lebara 15GB
I used 75gb a month last year on IDmobile on a 150gb contract, have renewed directly with them for £8 unlimited. Will need to see how much I can use a month this year.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Hi

This is what I have discovered so far about UK SIM cards that are best for EU travel.

Hope this is helpful and any additions or corrections would be most welcome.

I have listed them in what I consider best first order:

HelloIQ

£20/year admin charge, then you purchase data as you need it. 100Gbytes is £20 and lasts for 30 days this can be used in UK and Europe. So you only pay when you need data for the month.

They say they “do not have a "Fair use policy" when abroad which is pretty unique” although one is mentioned in their terms and conditions it is missing from the website.

It is based in EE network in the UK, it is not clear what networks are available when in EU I will need to test this.

Popit

100Gbytes/month for £25 with the key feature that you can use all of it while roaming in EU.

The only catches I can see are:
1) Roaming duration of up to maximum of 6 months at a time
2) It says in the legal contract : "To cancel the contract, you must ensure the following conditions are met: a) UK Data Usage: You must use Data in the UK to meet your Roaming Compliance. b) Roaming Compliance: Your roaming usage is shown in your subscription, and this must be 100% and in green."
This second point will need testing, but it seems that if you don't use enough data in the UK you cant cancel until you have. But not sure how onerous this is.

Must be careful not to go over 100G it’s £5/Gbyte after monthly allowance is used up.

Unlimited in UK for £20/month
O2 also seems to have a more relaxed roaming "fair use policy". When in France last year I used at least 110Gbytes of data and did not get charged extra for it - but it does not state what the rules are in their terms and conditions.

iD Mobile
Unlimited in UK for £16
They resell Three network for less than Three direct.
30Gbyte/month when roaming in EU then £1.5/Gbyte as a data add up to limit of £25/month. Must be careful as over charge is £3/Gbyte.

Vodafone UK
I get an unlimited UK data for £13.75 on my business account.
EU roaming is included in this but is limited to 25Gbytes/month.

Smarty
25G roaming in EU and £1/Gbyte after that.

Others
Most UK networks have a "fair use policy" that limits the amount of data (usually 25Gbytes/month) you can use while in the EU even if you have unlimited data in the UK.

Useful list of SIMs

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years

Vodafone are joining up with three as Vodafone 5g network is practically unavailable they bought 5g equipment from China cheaply and had to return it through government said it had spywhere they are joining three to use their network. I've only had a poor signal a couple of times but on the whole I'm very satisfied with ID mobile.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Never had a problem with Lebara in the past and my usage profile is no different this year to last.
I will just play them at their own game and hammer the data in the uk before going away.

I do have popit SIM but it's in the router on £1 month retention and can't be arsed to keep swapping between devices.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We use a lebera sim. Never use it in the UK, really then go on holiday abroad and use it for all the 30gb that we have. We have found them to be very good for our situation, which is only up to 3 week holidays.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We use a lebera sim. Never use it in the UK, really then go on holiday abroad and use it for all the 30gb that we have. We have found them to be very good for our situation, which is only up to 3 week holidays.
If only away for 3 weeks you're not likely to feature on Lebera's radar or fall foul of their 120 day fair usage policy.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Hi

This is what I have discovered so far about UK SIM cards that are best for EU travel.

Hope this is helpful and any additions or corrections would be most welcome.

I have listed them in what I consider best first order:

HelloIQ

£20/year admin charge, then you purchase data as you need it. 100Gbytes is £20 and lasts for 30 days this can be used in UK and Europe. So you only pay when you need data for the month.

They say they “do not have a "Fair use policy" when abroad which is pretty unique” although one is mentioned in their terms and conditions it is missing from the website.

It is based in EE network in the UK, it is not clear what networks are available when in EU I will need to test this.

Popit

100Gbytes/month for £25 with the key feature that you can use all of it while roaming in EU.

The only catches I can see are:
1) Roaming duration of up to maximum of 6 months at a time
2) It says in the legal contract : "To cancel the contract, you must ensure the following conditions are met: a) UK Data Usage: You must use Data in the UK to meet your Roaming Compliance. b) Roaming Compliance: Your roaming usage is shown in your subscription, and this must be 100% and in green."
This second point will need testing, but it seems that if you don't use enough data in the UK you cant cancel until you have. But not sure how onerous this is.

Must be careful not to go over 100G it’s £5/Gbyte after monthly allowance is used up.

Unlimited in UK for £20/month
O2 also seems to have a more relaxed roaming "fair use policy". When in France last year I used at least 110Gbytes of data and did not get charged extra for it - but it does not state what the rules are in their terms and conditions.

iD Mobile
Unlimited in UK for £16
They resell Three network for less than Three direct.
30Gbyte/month when roaming in EU then £1.5/Gbyte as a data add up to limit of £25/month. Must be careful as over charge is £3/Gbyte.

Vodafone UK
I get an unlimited UK data for £13.75 on my business account.
EU roaming is included in this but is limited to 25Gbytes/month.

Smarty
25G roaming in EU and £1/Gbyte after that.

Others
Most UK networks have a "fair use policy" that limits the amount of data (usually 25Gbytes/month) you can use while in the EU even if you have unlimited data in the UK.

Useful list of SIMs

You forgot Tesco Mobile runs on O2 network (but you can't use it in a router)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I understand the desire to get the cheapest deal possible, but there has to be a point where chasing a couple of quid saving vs something that works without falling foul of fair usage, even if it cost a few quid more, is the better approach?

We left the UK at the start of Sept ‘23, flew home for 20 days for Christmas (didn’t connect to wifi once, just used mobile data whilst back) and we are away in Europe until June (currently in month six of roaming) and we have really good 5G service on a Popit subscription…

I accept it’s not the cheapest way and it’s a phone data not a data plan per se, but it’s been perfect and way more convenient than ‘SIM juggling’ to avoid roaming data T’s and C’s.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
We have used IQ Go for 6 weeks now. UK, France, Spain and Portugal. It's been faultless all the way.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I understand the desire to get the cheapest deal possible, but there has to be a point where chasing a couple of quid saving vs something that works without falling foul of fair usage, even if it cost a few quid more, is the better approach?

We left the UK at the start of Sept ‘23, flew home for 20 days for Christmas (didn’t connect to wifi once, just used mobile data whilst back) and we are away in Europe until June (currently in month six of roaming) and we have really good 5G service on a Popit subscription…

I accept it’s not the cheapest way and it’s a phone data not a data plan per se, but it’s been perfect and way more convenient than ‘SIM juggling’ to avoid roaming data T’s and C’s.
Is £6 a month more... Every month.. for 15Gb less data.
Yes suited for roaming but let's face it, I'm in the UK the vast majority of the time so to pay a premium up front for roaming I'm not using isn't for me.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Is £6 a month more... Every month.. for 15Gb less data.
Yes suited for roaming but let's face it, I'm in the UK the vast majority of the time so to pay a premium up front for roaming I'm not using isn't for me.

Your call… saves the endless sim juggling people seem to be happy doing when roaming. Can’t think of anything worse TBH..

You can change your tariff every month , so you could have a low data use tariff whilst in UK and bump up to 100Gb (£25) no fair usage when roaming.

Sorry my view on life is make things easy, even if it costs a few quid more. ✔️

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Your call… saves the endless sim juggling people seem to be happy doing when roaming. Can’t think of anything worse TBH..

You can change your tariff every month , so you could have a low data use tariff whilst in UK and bump up to 100Gb (£25) no fair usage when roaming.

Sorry my view on life is make things easy, even if it costs a few quid more. ✔️
The 100GB is better value, if I used that much it's worth having. 20 is easily enough for me 👌

I remember when we first used to go to Benidorm for 10 weeks I'd buy a 12GB data card and have plenty left at the end 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back