Kitchen tap suddenly stopped working. (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
If you do get the cartridge removed, it's worth running a set of vernier callipers over it's dimensions, and checking these against the commonly available ones from major outlets which will be about a quarter of the price. I was sceptical when I recently had two go down in quick succession but the Screwfix ones were a perfect fit and available on the doorstep.
Mike.
Vernier callipers- I have a steep tape measure ;)
The tiny screw on that back of the tap will be my first problem. Couldn't find anything to undo that with yesterday.
It might work out less expensive to get someone out to replace the tap rather than buy all the tools and attempt the 'do it myself' fix.
Really appreciate all suggestions. Hopefully if I manage to remove the cartridge I can find a replacement locally.
Will update shortly...

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
I presume the " no water fault is common to both hot and cold" ?
Ah, yes
Penny just dropped. It's not working on either hot or cold setting so would be odd if suddenly both pipes blocked.
Suggests the fault is with cartridge.

Ta

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Something like this is really useful to have on board the van,plenty of other variations on this available widely.
Mike.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Something like this is really useful to have on board the van,plenty of other variations on this available widely.
Mike.
Oh- we do have a set of something but it's not got those star headed things. I will investigate further.
In the meantime I've got the lever off but haven't found any star headed drivers to remove the little screw. The stuff in my glasses repair kit wouldn't do it. I will keep looking to se if we have anything else to try.
Sue

20240428_093358.jpg

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
I've managed to find some more tools in a bag of stuff we inherited when brother in law passed. Unfortunately t10 is the smallest they go to.
Now I've a better idea what I'm looking for will nip out later for set that includes smaller sizes.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, yes
Penny just dropped. It's not working on either hot or cold setting so would be odd if suddenly both pipes blocked.
Suggests the fault is with cartridge.

Ta
I understand your frustration! I too was flummoxed for a while in getting access to a clearly faulty cartridge on our pressure water system. Resolved it eventually as per this thread. But especially frustrating when it’s just a screw type holding up what is essentially a straightforward repair. Hope you resolve it.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Progress of sorts.
I've managed to remove the tap body and the cartridge-its a reich412. In the process a little piece of plastic pinged off. I don't know if this is what caused the fault in the first place.
I will attach some pics.
Now then, what is the best way forward now? I've looked online and can't see a 25mm one with the same pattern on the base.

20240428_111354.jpg

20240428_111744.jpg

20240428_111753.jpg

20240428_111956.jpg

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi all
We are venturing into Europe with the moho next weekend for the first time and whilst having a couple of days away this week, as the title suggests, the kitchen mixer tap stopped working.
All bathroom taps are working fine and I've given the tap filter a clean but it's made no difference. The lever doesn't feel to have any resistance when lifted.
We are not technical minded people but don't mind trying the simple stuff. Does anyone have any basic things we can try before I get a habitation person out to hopefully fix the problem before we go to spain next weekend? (We will be going away with or without it working.)
I've attached some pics to help identify the tap.

View attachment 890803

View attachment 890804

View attachment 890805
We had the same tap in our MoHo, it also stopped working, it was due to the built in micro switch in the tap which switches on the pump.
If you remove the tap you will find a small screw at the back of the tap at the bottom just above the base, undo it and carefully easy the tap apart, the switch is at the top under the handle. It is available as a spare.
This is the switch as a spare from Leisureshop direct == https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...reich-taps/microswitch-for-reich-trend-s-taps
Hope this helps.

20220623_154505.jpg

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Sue26 ,Is the cartridge that Jez1966 has suggested in reply #20 different to the one you need ?
Hi
Yes that's the one!
I've managed to find one near Manchester airport so OH has just left to pick it up.
Hopefully I can get it all back together and it works OK. If not, the company also have the full tap in stock and our habitation guy has said he could fit it this week if necessary.
Thanks to all.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
We had the same tap in our MoHo, it also stopped working, it was due to the built in micro switch in the tap which switches on the pump.
If you remove the tap you will find a small screw at the back of the tap at the bottom just above the base, undo it and carefully easy the tap apart, the switch is at the top under the handle. It is available as a spare.
This is the switch as a spare from Leisureshop direct == https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...reich-taps/microswitch-for-reich-trend-s-taps
Hope this helps.

View attachment 891061
Hi
Thanks for response.
No ours is the pressure system. No microswitch.
Thanks
Sue

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sue26 hope it has all gone well.

Let's face it a tap not working is a nuisance but not the end of the world when one has camped under canvas in the past with the only running water being down the canvas! A 2ltr (other sizes available) bottle of water can be used to fill kettles etc for hot water.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Progress of sorts.
I've managed to remove the tap body and the cartridge-its a reich412. In the process a little piece of plastic pinged off. I don't know if this is what caused the fault in the first place.
I will attach some pics.
Now then, what is the best way forward now? I've looked online and can't see a 25mm one with the same pattern on the base.

View attachment 890970

View attachment 890971

View attachment 890972

View attachment 890973
Good to see your going metric inch by inch.
It took me a few weeks of searching, emailing for confirmation to find the correct cartridge, while in USA.
Once identified I found a few more sources.
Fortunately our issue was the rubber seal part way up the tap had "failed" though the fix was a liberal coating of
CIP Film, it's a food grade joint sealant used for homebrew, link to US source below for reference. It's available on Amazon.co.uk. I've ordered some to care in preperation for next time.
A job for when you get back:
You may want to have a look at your bathroom tap, or anyone to check, as I'm guessing it is the same as ours and
virtually impossible to removed the T6 screw from the back, to disassemble the tap.

I think I posted it earlier but to be sure look at Month 1: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/1-year-usa-road-trip-late-gap-year.310/

Enjoy the trip...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cip-film-keg-lube-4-oz.html

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Progress of sorts.
I will attach some pics.

View attachment 890970

View attachment 890971

View attachment 890972

View attachment 890973
I think that little bit of square plastic that popped out is used as a spacer for that top little screw at rear ? ?

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
It took me a few weeks of searching, emailing for confirmation to find the correct cartridge, once identified I found a
few more sources.
Fortunately our issue was the rubber seal part way up the tap had "failed" though the fix was a liberal coating of
CIP Film, it's a food grade joint sealant used for homebrew, link to US source below for reference. It's available on Amazon.co.uk. I've ordered some to care in preperation for next time.
A job for when you get back:
You may want to have a look at your bathroom tap, or anyone to check, as I'm guessing it is the same as ours and
virtually impossible to removed the T6 screw from the back, to disassemble the tap.

I think I posted it earlier but to be sure look at Month 1: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/1-year-usa-road-trip-late-gap-year.310/

Enjoy the trip...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cip-film-keg-lube-4-oz.html
Ah right thank you.
If this replacement cartridge doesn't sort it I now know I can get the complete tap quickly and get habitation guy to fit it before we go(y)

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Ah right thank you.
If this replacement cartridge doesn't sort it I now know I can get the complete tap quickly and get habitation guy to fit it before we go(y)
If you have a "spare piece of plastic" in the tap, I'd go with that as a fix.
Our issue was the water ran out permanently as pump kept up pressure as it leaked, and that was night 1 of a
12 month US road trip parked up in Berry Hill, New Brunswick.

Have a wonderful trip..

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Check the tap body whilst it's off by blowing through it, unlikely to a problem but it's another thing ruled out.

OP
OP
S
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Hi all.
We have a result. New cartridge fitted and tap reassembled.
Water flowing from hot, cold and central position.
The spare bit of plastic was from the screw at the base if the tap to prevent it rotating through 360 degrees. I'm not sure I've replaced it in quite the right place but it won't be a problem, we never swivel it beyond the side of the bowl anyway. I don't even know what the degree of swivel was before I started.
Thank you all for your help. I only wish I had the skills to be able to offer others help rather than me always asking for help.

Thank you all.

20240428_153308.jpg

20240428_153305.jpg

20240428_153300.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back