Is this as good as it seems? EU roaming included. (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I take it as if you roam abroad (4 mths) more than you live at home (UK) then they’ll ask you to prove your are still a UK resident by asking for a utility bill or something similar
Yep, that's how I read it too Al, ie, "may be asked to provide proof of UK residency".

I'll be using my new ID Mobile sim on the Suffolk Coast over the next few days, where I have previously experienced a poor mobile phone signal on the Three network. We'll see. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I actually got to speak to somebody to day! After many, many emails and numerous attempts to call them they obviously picked up the phone by mistake! Despite cancelling a voice sim they have now taken £80 for a sim which I used for 21 days, cancelled and they confirmed cancellation. This is the third month they have taken payment after cancellation. still no sign of a repayment but ‘they will look into it’.

on the other side 200gb data sim worked faultlessly in Portugal, Spain, France and uk over three months for £28 a month. Varied speeds but always enough for our needs and streaming tv which didn’t need a VPN for iPlayer etc.

I also had a voice sim which also worked in same countries for the three weeks I had it. no probs with voice calls or data speeds the few times I used it. (I think the data sim will allow you to go into MiFi settings and choose which provider you want to use. Had to manually reset a couple of times after moving locations. If it’s for a MiFi type device I would go data card as I think it gives better options for download speed?)

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
No complaints from me. Worked all over France and Majorca with the global SIM. Cancelled within a few hours when requested no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Yep, that's how I read it too Al, ie, "may be asked to provide proof of UK residency".

I'll be using my new ID Mobile sim on the Suffolk Coast over the next few days, where I have previously experienced a poor mobile phone signal on the Three network. We'll see. ;)

Cheers,

So far Jock i’ve been using mine about a month I think and it’s been good if not great and my unused data rolled over so this month i’ve over 400gb to use 👍👍

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
I have been using the RWG Global SIM on this current trip with no problems.

Last trip, I used the Spanish Tiekom 300GB SIM but they changed the terms afterwards so that most of the 300GB allowance could not be used outside Spain. I received an email from Tiekon a couple of days ago to say:

Please find here more information about our New Data sim 400GB:
  • Speeds up to 150MB
  • 400GB data / month in Spain
  • 200Gb data / month roaming in EU (zone1)
  • 4G and 5G coverage
  • FREE activation fee and no commitment to remain
  • Monthly fee 43,90€
So, Tiekom may be good again, especially if you are gong to be mainly in Spain. On the other hand, RWG Global does cover the whole world and is cheaper if you don’t need as much data.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I found RWG helpful and easy to deal with & responded quickly to emails.
But my problem I had was very poor speeds in a Mifi or router, the RWG sim in my phone I was getting between 30mb/s up to 95mb/s depending on location but in a router or Mifi only 6mb/s to 12 mb/s.

My phone sim is Plusnet on EE was exactly the same, I've had fast speeds from my phone sim in a Mifi in the past so it appears to be a network problem.

Both RWG and EE say they don't restrict use in a Mifi or router.

Sep 23, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
>8 years in T5
I personally wouldn't touch them ...I have been waiting on a refund from them that the said they would cancel and refund me on 26th May..now they don't answer any emails about it...oh they do answer when they think your taking out a new sim...buy nothing when refund is mentioned...
I had to raise a dispute with my bank to get my refund as they kept taking money after I had asked them to cancel - due to not getting the SIM to work and no support 😡

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
I had to raise a dispute with my bank to get my refund as they kept taking money after I had asked them to cancel - due to not getting the SIM to work and no support 😡
hi i think i will have to do the same,, and just had message saying the have (received another payment thank you ) they cancelled it on 26th may i dont even have a sim ,,just getting all the evidence ready for the bank to step in now ,they answered emails great, up to the point where i wanted my refund, now nothing,,cant get them on phone ,,really annoying ,,

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have found them superb in responses by email. Usually the same day. Occasionally the next day. One chao responded but said he wasn't sure about something a d would get back to me. 2 days passed and I thought that was it but the next day he came back with a very thorough explanation.

Most of my queries have been to do with my lack of understanding of some things and my accidental deleting if my online account . I've found them very helpful.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just as experienced a few years ago with Three, the signal here on the Suffolk Coast is pants, using our ZTE MiFi, with a quality Poynting MiMo roof antenna. :(
Our O2 signal on our phones is 4G.

I may try the ID Mobile sim in the phone, to see if there is any difference.

Jock. :(

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I may try the ID Mobile sim in the phone, to see if there is any difference.
I did, and what a difference that made. :whatthe: Although a bit hesitant on some websites, I am getting a much better signal using my phone as a hot spot. I am even able to stream live TV via the Firestick.

So, can anyone tell me please, why my Samsung A13 phone is up to the job, but my ZTE Cat 6 MiFi, connected to my roof mounted Poynting MIMO 3-V2-12 antenna isn't?

The signal keeps ranging from 4G/LTE to 3G then disconnecting, whereas the signal on the phone is a constant 4G. :(

Cheers,

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
well ,,just had the two payments refunded, they got there in the end ,,only been waiting since 26th may ,,i had the bank look into it 3 days ago and suddenly the refunds are paid ,,, might be a while before i take out a new sim with them 😒

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I did, and what a difference that made. :whatthe: Although a bit hesitant on some websites, I am getting a much better signal using my phone as a hot spot. I am even able to stream live TV via the Firestick.

So, can anyone tell me please, why my Samsung A13 phone is up to the job, but my ZTE Cat 6 MiFi, connected to my roof mounted Poynting MIMO 3-V2-12 antenna isn't?

The signal keeps ranging from 4G/LTE to 3G then disconnecting, whereas the signal on the phone is a constant 4G. :(

Cheers,

No idea why it works better in your phone, we can be sitting in the same place and Lorraine has full signal while I have nothing, I assume as her iPhone is up to date. I have it in my iPhone which I used for hotspot in France with no issues.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
No idea why it works better in your phone, we can be sitting in the same place and Lorraine has full signal while I have nothing, I assume as her iPhone is up to date. I have it in my iPhone which I used for hotspot in France with no issues.
Thanks Gerry pal. (y)

I may start a seperate thread and ask the same question. All the proper gear installed, but no connection, and yet my phone inside a metal box manages to make a connection. :doh:

Cheers,

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
I found RWG helpful and easy to deal with & responded quickly to emails.
But my problem I had was very poor speeds in a Mifi or router, the RWG sim in my phone I was getting between 30mb/s up to 95mb/s depending on location but in a router or Mifi only 6mb/s to 12 mb/s.

My phone sim is Plusnet on EE was exactly the same, I've had fast speeds from my phone sim in a Mifi in the past so it appears to be a network problem.

Both RWG and EE say they don't restrict use in a Mifi or router.
Lenny and other RWG users, have you decided what to do about your Plusnet mobile sim as they are closing their mobile business. I have Plusnet and wonder if the RWG is a good replacement for mobile home and Europe. Just need about 20 G per month.
Thanks
Chris

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Cheers,

As I said before I reckon the network is detecting a mif and throttling the speed. Only seems to be recently it's happening.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny and other RWG users, have you decided what to do about your Plusnet mobile sim as they are closing their mobile business. I have Plusnet and wonder if the RWG is a good replacement for mobile home and Europe. Just need about 20 G per month.
Thanks
Chris
RWG appears to be the best 30 day deal so will probably go with them. Next long trip I might try a RWG data sim in the Mifi or buy a local sim. Last year in France I used a Reglo sim it worked really well.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
As I said before I reckon the network is detecting a mif and throttling the speed. Only seems to be recently it's happening.
But it's not throttling my speed now at a different location Lenny. 🤷‍♂️ As I said yesterday, the ID Mobile connection is fairly whizzing along here at home, as is my Vodafone connection to the house router, (as always). ;)

Cheers,

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Decided to ditch my main SIM (1p mobile) and use RWG. Bad move! RWG does not support WiFi calling. My phone is useless in my house unless l lean out of one particular upstairs window or walk 2 mins up the road! Annoying as I just ported my main number to.

I am finding RWG limited 'tech' annoying. Email customer service works well but lack of anyway of tracking your usage/remaining allowence other than SMS text messages or phoning codes in is a bit last century.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Decided to ditch my main SIM (1p mobile)
The reason we ditched 1p Mobile, is because they kept deducting monies from our credit, because we didn't meet the minimum monthly spend limit....................................and that's because most of our phone usage was through WiFi calling and home internet. :doh:

Cheers,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But it's not throttling my speed now at a different location Lenny. 🤷‍♂️ As I said yesterday, the ID Mobile connection is fairly whizzing along here at home, as is my Vodafone connection to the house router, (as always). ;)

Cheers,

I had problems roaming in France & Spain but tried it when I got home it was the same and phone sim too.
Splashed out 200 quid on a Teltonika RUT950 as I thought it might be my Mifi, it was no different.
Might give their data sim a try on next trip but if we stay in one country may just buy a local sim. Reglo worked really well in France last year.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Splashed out 200 quid on a Teltonika RUT950 as I thought it might be my Mifi, it was no different.
I'm glad you posted that experience Lenny, as I was toying with the idea of replacing the MiFi and was looking at Teltononika, but I shan't bother now.

Thanks,

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The reason we ditched 1p Mobile, is because they kept deducting monies from our credit, because we didn't meet the minimum monthly spend limit....................................and that's because most of our phone usage was through WiFi calling and home internet. :doh:

Cheers,

1p Mobile require a minimum of £30 a year - even if you don't use it. Credit also should run out if not used in 4 months. Taking money from your credit is actually better as it means you don't have to add £10.

Actually 1p mobile is the cheapest option if you don't use your phone much. (data excepted) Gone are the days of PAYG with no minimum spend. and it's fair enough. why provide a service for someone who spends £2 a year - or whatever.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
well ,,just had the two payments refunded, they got there in the end ,,only been waiting since 26th may ,,i had the bank look into it 3 days ago and suddenly the refunds are paid ,,, might be a while before i take out a new sim with them 😒

I have a suspicion my pain is about to start. They have just taken £20 from my credit card for a bundle that was confirmed cancelled on 23rd June. :(

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
1p Mobile require a minimum of £30 a year - even if you don't use it. Credit also should run out if not used in 4 months. Taking money from your credit is actually better as it means you don't have to add £10.

Actually 1p mobile is the cheapest option if you don't use your phone much. (data excepted) Gone are the days of PAYG with no minimum spend. and it's fair enough. why provide a service for someone who spends £2 a year - or whatever.
O2 classic SIM no top ups required just make one paying call /text every 6 months. Strangely only available from eBay.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
O2 classic SIM no top ups required just make one paying call /text every 6 months. Strangely only available from eBay.

No WiFi calling facility though. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I'm glad you posted that experience Lenny, as I was toying with the idea of replacing the MiFi and was looking at Teltononika, but I shan't bother now.

Thanks,

Just 'upgraded' to a Huawei B523. My 5577 is on Ebay at the moment.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
I have a suspicion my pain is about to start. They have just taken £20 from my credit card for a bundle that was confirmed cancelled on 23rd June. :(
Now they won't answer emails ect...took nearly 2 months of constant moaning and involving the bank before they paid out funny thing is I was going to go with them when they refunded me ...no now ...Id mobile worked well in France in the netgear router..

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Anyone used the sims in USA? More fool me I gave them another chance and got them to send me a replacement sim which worked fine in Europe last month. Also worked fine at home yesterday but am now in the US and it’s not even picking up any network 😤

I’ve tried the ‘everywhere’ and ‘ion.otm’ APN but no good.

Have emailed customer support but going by last time I had problems abroad I’ll be waiting for any action.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back