Is it just me that thinks this? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
A lot of members wave to Horse boxes and Ocardo vans,so size/looks don't matter to them. Some people are in a position whereby lack of space at home for parking or age and yearly medicals come into play. Then there is Layout and Price/selling on ?
Just remember,what will carry a lot will carry a little........ But not squeeze into narrower places,hence " Toads.leccy bikes and the like " being part of the unit as a whole. Base vehicle badge on the front or back ?......... Last thing i look for.
Tea Bag

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
This is my Ducato L4H2 which I think looks fine. But then I'm biased as I built it!
P1010453.JPG

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
This is my Ducato L4H2 which I think looks fine. But then I'm biased as I built it!View attachment 682875
Looks great. They are so much more attractive than any of the other PVC bases. The Sprinter has such a big long ugly nose and the transit (sorry) just doesnt look right at all.

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
2008 Bessacarr E495
Exp
Jan 2022
Well i drive a white fiat ducato everyday for work so glad when i get into my coachbuilt bessacarr as looks like a motor home. My friends paid 75 grand for their van which looks like my work van with plsstic windows and higher back doors and roof.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
In 2007 l bought a brand new Sprinter and had it professionally converted to my specification and at considerable cost and it certainly didn’t resemble a Camper it was a Motorhome.
RP Motorhomes are highly regarded converters of Sprinters and they always come in at £100k+ but a top of the range one will cost £150+
they are not Campervans.

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
In 2007 l bought a brand new Sprinter and had it professionally converted to my specification and at considerable cost and it certainly didn’t resemble a Camper it was a Motorhome.
RP Motorhomes are highly regarded converters of Sprinters and they always come in at £100k+ but a top of the range one will cost £150+
they are not Campervans.
Of course to be pedantic! According to the DVLA there is no such thing as a Camper or Motorhome, as they are all Motorcaravans:censored:

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
they are not Campervans.
In my way of thinking, a Campervan is a van (as it left the factory) which is then converted in such a way that the base van is identical to the factory product but with added windows and decals, roof lights and rollouts. A Motorhome comes in two forms, Coach Built and A Class (integrated in some countries is the term used) ie the Coachbuilt has the cab of the base van but little else whereas the A Class has a body totally different from any other manufacturer. I believe it is nothing to do with cost but a simple way of referring to what to look for. Or is this some form of snobbery? BTW, a photo, Littlewheels, would show us what you claim to be your Motorhome. If you look at my picture, that is a coach built motorhome.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The size of windows used in the conversion is a factor. Windows are expensive and so some home converters are tempted to skimp and fit fewer and smaller windows than commercial converters would fit. The end result can look like a van with windows.

I don't mean this as a criticism of home converters, I'm all for saving money. :)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
In my way of thinking, a Campervan is a van (as it left the factory) which is then converted in such a way that the base van is identical to the factory product but with added windows and decals, roof lights and rollouts. A Motorhome comes in two forms, Coach Built and A Class (integrated in some countries is the term used) ie the Coachbuilt has the cab of the base van but little else whereas the A Class has a body totally different from any other manufacturer. I believe it is nothing to do with cost but a simple way of referring to what to look for. Or is this some form of snobbery? BTW, a photo, Littlewheels, would show us what you claim to be your Motorhome. If you look at my picture, that is a coach built motorhome.
The claim was from 2007 long gone, Google RP Motorhomes to compare and since you have expressed your opinion no disrespect but many box type Motorhomes look not a lot different to Box Vans, a Van Chassis with a body but with different values subject to the fixtures and fittings.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I know it's subjective, and it might be just me, but this thought struck me today. My neighbour has just converted a Crafter. It's a fine job. We also have some friends with an older Sprinter.

It got me thinking. When a Ducato/Boxer/ Relay pulls onto a site they look like camper vans. When a Sprinter or a Crafter pulls on to site I see a great big van. That regardless of how good the conversion is.

I'm a neutral as we have a coachbuilt.

Is it just me or not?
I think that's what I like about mine. A first glance it's just a 6m Sprinter van. a bit stealthy and super manoeuvrable.

IMG_7827.jpeg

Once parked, it transforms into a full on camper-van. Not a fan of campsites myself - this was at Latitude Festival.

image002.jpeg

I tried a few Ducato based vans before I bought this. In fairness I could get a better level of fit and finish internally and probably a better layout but I just couldn't get on on with the driving position of the Fiat. The cab is too cramped for me and I'm too tall to be able to see properly through the windscreen.

Attachments

• IMG_7250.jpeg
    IMG_7250.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 22
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Having had a Citroen Relay high top 6m van converted and driven a few Merc sprinters and VW Crafters I have to say the Sprinters/Crafter drive nice, better than the Relay however without a popped out side fitting you cannot sleep transverse in a Sprinter/Crafter which starts to limit the internal layout. They may have reduced the rust issues in Mercs but I am happy with my Relay and the square internal dimensions make it a great space inside.
5844FD03-6864-467E-BCE0-74EA3A20E951.jpeg

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
But, of course, according to the DVLA there are no Campervans or Motorhomes. They are all Motorcaravans

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
As OP, its worth remembering I was only commenting about perception, well my perception - of first impressions when a van drives onto a site or Aire. I wasn't meaning to discuss the merits of Sprinter vs Ducato etc. Its fine of course and that's the thing about this forum

Going back to the OP though I have been thinking about the points made on here and I think my perceptions are almost instinctive and childlike

For example, we have a 7m Coachbuilt. Its quite an attractive vehicle (IMO). When I ask my 3yo Grandson what it is, he says

"Campervan!"

When I ask him what my friends 7m Sprinter PVC is he says

"Lorry!"

Maybe I have a 3 year old brain.

Personally I think the Ducato is by far the most attractive of all the PVCs, especially in its latest guise. But like I keep saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

1667207552159.png

1667207627293.png

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
For example, we have a 7m Coachbuilt. Its quite an attractive vehicle (IMO). When I ask my 3yo Grandson what it is, he says

"Campervan!"

When I ask him what my friends 7m Sprinter PVC is he says

"Lorry!"

Maybe I have a 3 year old brain.
Similar here ... our 4 year grandson used to refer to previous 7m A class as a bus, so was known as the Camper Bus, the Sprinter as a truck, now commonly referred to as the Camper Truck.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I won't be popular with any Merc/VW PVC owners for this but...

I know it's subjective, and it might be just me, but this thought struck me today. My neighbour has just converted a Crafter. It's a fine job. We also have some friends with an older Sprinter.

It got me thinking. When a Ducato/Boxer/ Relay pulls onto a site they look like camper vans. When a Sprinter or a Crafter pulls on to site I see a great big van. That regardless of how good the conversion is.

I'm a neutral as we have a coachbuilt.

Is it just me or not?
1667208482989.jpeg

I love my Merc

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Now you have done it. You have introduced Sprinter Coachbuilts into the mix:LOL:

Its an impressive van but it has a bit of a look of a very posh horsebox to it. Not that there is anything wrong with posh horseboxes

PS I have just seen Otter Spotter 's comment and replied before I had.
What else would a stallion drive?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just be clear. I don't dislike the look of the sprinters as vans. It's just they don't look like campervans.
Some are most likely trying NOT to look like campervans . Stealth look perhaps

Out of my 2 I prefer the van look to this big white box
PCIMG_2022-10-12_19-54-14.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back