Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Couldn't agree more.
I've never gambled since I got my fingers badly burned in 1963 when I invested half a crown on a horse in the office Grand National sweepstake and it lost.
I do buy charity raffle tickets and Premium Bonds but without any expectation. At least if I don't win with PB's I can get my money back.

But even that is at nominal value, so reduced real value.

I am been picky I know.

But you and I are on the same wavelength as far as value investment is concerned. I just feel sorry for those who have never been educated in how to approach investment. Maybe I was fortunate in that parts of the family used to discuss it when I was young.

Geoff

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I am afraid I am one of those uneducated. At school in Dorset until age eleven when the school had its own small farm so we could be taught how to work in agriculture. Then in Hampshire where it was all geared to light engineering for the boys and secretarial work for the girls. First time I learnt about tax was on leaving the Army when my first civie wage packet was less than I expected. I can still do quadratic equations and know the wives of Henry VIII. Should have been given useful knowledge.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But even that is at nominal value, so reduced real value.
Now you've compounded my misery. :(

But you and I are on the same wavelength as far as value investment is concerned. I just feel sorry for those who have never been educated in how to approach investment. Maybe I was fortunate in that parts of the family used to discuss it when I was young.
Geoff
I feel sympathy for the FOMO brigade queueing to buy lottery tickets and scratch cards at my Tesco (some are buying 10 quids' worth or more). I assume they must suffer daily and weekly disappointment).
My Dad's (now considered old-fashioned) mantra and that of many other parents in the 50's and 60's was, : 'If you can't afford to pay cash you can't afford it'. The only loan I've ever had was a house mortgage and my only credit card was a company Amex. I manage.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Now you've compounded my misery. :(

I feel sympathy for the FOMO brigade queueing to buy lottery tickets and scratch cards at my Tesco (some are buying 10 quids' worth or more). I assume they must suffer daily and weekly disappointment).
My Dad's (now considered old-fashioned) mantra and that of many other parents in the 50's and 60's was, : 'If you can't afford to pay cash you can't afford it'. The only loan I've ever had was a house mortgage and my only credit card was a company Amex. I manage.

I know the first bit was tongue in cheek.

The second bit was how I have lived my life.

I did once have to go to ask my bank for a 2 month loan to cover a tax payment before I received a cash settlement. Manager agreed, brought down the papers to sign.

I said you have not asked for any security. His response was 'Mr. Nicholson, when I have to do that with a client like you I will give up banking'

I can understand that approach from both sides, but it has been lost in the system now.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back