I have learned that a tracker is basically useless... (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I wondered if those trackers you see on TV for pets would be any use scattered through the MH or even on a bike. Not sure what the range is for those but they seem cheap enough to put a few around the van.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is how catalytic converter thieves operate , intimidation , no fear of being caught

That doesn't intimidate me that is a red rag to a bull & an opportunity to kill as many of the scum as you can.
All that does & would do to me is completely unhinge me:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:& i would just take the door out with a garden fork/machete, :mad:using ammonia:mad: & pepper spray . A shotgun is even better.:mad::mad:
If I even saw it travelling along the road i would be straight across the pavement & run through as many as possible.
Opportunities toi eradicate scum don't get offered to you every day.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tasng4

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Auverne Rhone-Alpes
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit 1984
Exp
April 2016
I have classic cars and they're all fitted with a BIG RED key which disconnects the battery. The location of the key is secret/hard to find, surely something along these lines could be done. To allow the car's other systems (radio mainly) to operate there's a wire which allows a small amount of current to pass but if you try to start the car without the BIG RED key a fuse blows and the car is dead. Alternatively , on older cars/vans, you can interupt the supply to the coil and install a secret switch.

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
We have a tracker on our MH but only because insurance companies insisted on it. Personally I prefer physical deter ants such as a good quality pedal lock. Yes of course they can be bypassed but it will take the and will be noisy to do so.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That doesn't intimidate me that is a red rag to a bull & an opportunity to kill as many of the scum as you can.
All that does & would do to me is completely unhinge me:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:& i would just take the door out with a garden fork/machete, :mad:using ammonia:mad: & pepper spray . A shotgun is even better.:mad::mad:
If I even saw it travelling along the road i would be straight across the pavement & run through as many as possible.
You really are showing your liberal, woke tendencies there. I do wish you would stop sitting on the fence about this…… :rofl:

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's not an isolated Incident , there's lots of videos online of 3 getting out of a car , 1 jacking, 1 cutting , 1 with a baseball bat

I agree though , they deserve to be eradicated

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I thought it was Walton CCC? which is very secluded, Chertsey has houses that overlook the storage area which I would have thought would have put thieves off.
Oops yes you are right sorry. He used to go to Chertsey quite a lot too (but not for storage) and I muddled the two.
I was telling him today how that photo crops up regularly and he said of all the security he fitted, it was the non-starter that did the trick.

I also remember one time his MH was parked up in a busy car park at a Devon beach, I went back for a wee and in my rush didn't disable the alarm. Then I realised I didn't know how to disable it, so I went in and used the facilities, came out, faffed around until I worked out how to switch it off - and in all that time not a single person took any notice of that massively loud alarm... Bit I did need a couple of paracetamol afterwards!
Mrs S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I'd do the same.I'd smash the window in the door, go out with my baseball bat, arms all over the place, making a hell of a noise like an absolute mad deamon, whatever the consequences.Note to self.Get a baseball bat

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
They can be quite a bit , £700
Fords ,in their wisdom, fitted the cat on the mark 7 so close to the turbo that it is impossible to remove by cutting out.
so close in fact that if it starts to block it ***** the turbo. *
*Note to self put note on windows that the cat has been removed ,gutted & rewelded empty.
& no you can't sell them here. In fact selling any type of scrap is difficult & when you do find somewhere you have to supply 'someone's' full name , address, nie number along with current photo id to back it up.

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
I had my RollerTeam 746 stolen yesterday. From the momentthe alarm went off, to the vehicle been driven off was less than 60 seconds.

The vehicle was fitted with a Phantom Sentinel Tracker. I was alerted by text message instantly the alarm sounded, but by the time I got to the door the van had vanished.

The most frustrating thing then was that there was no location update from the tracker for 2 mins or so, then just a single ping to show the vehicle a mile away, then nothing for 20 minutes. The location shown at this time turned out to be literally just the black box, no vehicle attached. The police advised that it's trivial to jam them these days but I'm still baffled by the speed of this, the theives ability to locate the tracker so quickly (they cut the power to it within 4 mins of the theft, but it has a backup battery) and just chuck it out the window.

Anyone here have any knowledge of this stuff?
I have fitted a simple tracker from Premier Tracking, it is hidden in the core sandwich in the roof where it is extremely difficult to find. This is addition to the Vodafone / Phantom in a position where the thieves can find and disable it.

My additional tracker is fitted with a Euro SIM and I able to view it at any time on my mobile or PC.

Not happy with someone else monitoring it for me.

It works and easy to install.

Hope you get your van back but I doubt it.

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Fords ,in their wisdom, fitted the cat on the mark 7 so close to the turbo that it is impossible to remove by cutting out.
so close in fact that if it starts to block it ***** the turbo. *
*Note to self put note on windows that the cat has been removed ,gutted & rewelded empty.
& no you can't sell them here. In fact selling any type of scrap is difficult & when you do find somewhere you have to supply 'someone's' full name , address, nie number along with current photo id to back it up.

So there are no dodgy scrap dealers that still pay cash no questions asked, no of course there isn't !!!

Jun 7, 2017
North notts
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca656
Exp
5 years
Anti theft devices are there to improve the education of criminals and for insurers to insist on. The vehicles still get stolen, before the super tracking and immobiliser systems we just removed the distributor cap.
Difficult with a Diesel!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I'd do the same.I'd smash the window in the door, go out with my baseball bat, arms all over the place, making a hell of a noise like an absolute mad deamon, whatever the consequences.Note to self.Get a baseball bat

Don’t put yourself on offer for an offensive weapon or GBH charge with a baseball bat - get a Maglite 6 D cell torch/cudgel and a tea towel to mop up with afterwards. ;)

Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
You could replace the fuse for the fuel injectors with a blown fuse. That would slow them down a bit! Just remember to swap back before going on holiday!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I would like to recommend dropping one or more apple trackers in places they have no chance of finding somewhere in your motorhome which I have done. Recently I had an electric bike stolen from my garage (which also had one hidden) and although it took a bit of detective work (waiting outside a block of four small houses) to find the exact one, I was able to recover the bike with the help of the police. Without that it would have been gone forever. I would suggest a tracker to throw them off the scent then a £25 apple tracker to actually know you will find it if it does get taken.
Use these as an additional method to the 2 trackers i already have and even better if you remove the speaker in them so they don't make a noise after being away from the owner's phone. Apple have a safety feature where the airtag will start beeping after so long to stop you tracking people etc. Removing the speaker will not stop it displaying on the phone but it will delay them finding it if hidden well, they make for cheap vehicle trackers, just print some 3d cases for them to go in. These should not replace a proper tracker though one that is fit for purpose like the thatcham approved ranges especially when you consider how much the motorhomes cost.

Last edited:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I deal with about 12 different tracking companies. Most you can just rip the tracker or the wiring out of the OBD port. Trackers are amazing but make sure it’s purpose built. I wish Vanbitz or a couple of others did mobile fitting or hard wiring!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So there are no dodgy scrap dealers that still pay cash no questions asked, no of course there isn't !!!

Many pay cash unless you want it paid into your business ,but only if they know you & you have paperwork. No one accepts 'walk-ins' without bona fide paperwork. The vast majority of scrap dealers here will not accept scrap from anyone who is not a business or self employed with card. & they only pay direct in to company accounts.

Sherm

Free Member
Sep 6, 2022
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrx 670
Exp
Since May 2021
I had my RollerTeam 746 stolen yesterday. From the momentthe alarm went off, to the vehicle been driven off was less than 60 seconds.

The vehicle was fitted with a Phantom Sentinel Tracker. I was alerted by text message instantly the alarm sounded, but by the time I got to the door the van had vanished.

The most frustrating thing then was that there was no location update from the tracker for 2 mins or so, then just a single ping to show the vehicle a mile away, then nothing for 20 minutes. The location shown at this time turned out to be literally just the black box, no vehicle attached. The police advised that it's trivial to jam them these days but I'm still baffled by the speed of this, the theives ability to locate the tracker so quickly (they cut the power to it within 4 mins of the theft, but it has a backup battery) and just chuck it out the window.

I recently fitted motorbike wheel alarms to my swivel seats , really easy and effective very hard to remove due to lack of space and the alarm is really loud , Extra lockable cab door looks are good , steering lock and pedal locks , wheel locks and finally hidden engine cut of switch. Also have alarm immobiliser and tracker . I’m sure it would take professional thieves a few more minutes to pinch what may help .
Try storing on a Gold site monitored 24 hours a day

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740

Problem is, everyone knows where most of the mean companies install them, mine only sends signal every five minutes, so it's harder for them to pick up the signal to find it.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back