I don't do swimming (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Our Springer dose not do swimming he will go up to his belly.
But no further he paws at the water retrieves stones from the bottom by duking under but won't swim loves to pull things out of the canal or bushes and drops them at my feet to put in a bin bag gose mad if he sees sumthing floating down the cut like plastic bottles but won't go get them
IMG_20220713_201814.jpg

IMG_20220713_201838.jpg
IMG_20220713_202817.jpg

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
This sounds mental but, have you taught them how to swim

My ex was a police dog handler and she was given a new dog from another handler and realised lenny had never been taught how to swim or encouraged to

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My little buddy goes in upto his belly too. But he doesn't like much movement like rivers and the waves in the sea.

He can swim though, when he falls in the canal (which he's done a couple of times) or I push him in to cool him down.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
This sounds mental but, have you taught them how to swim

My ex was a police dog handler and she was given a new dog from another handler and realised lenny had never been taught how to swim or encouraged to
Wer off on holidays tomorrow Scotland lots of lock's I am sure he will get wet a few times up thare
Bill

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
My Labradoodle used to hate the water even though he had webbed paws. I could never get him to go in the sea or any river he was so scared. He was 3 months old when he came to me. His previous owner gave him back to the breeder as she said he was "out of control "
:rolleyes: yeah, pretty much was the case for 14 years But I loved him :h:

Gina

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Buddy's thoughts on this is if I don't swim I am no good as a gun dog.
Don't like guns thay hurt my ears thay keep going on about Trixi thay say she was my grate grate gran I don't know apparently thay could not keep her out the water
Buddy

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My spaniel whimpers when he sees water until I let him swim or tell him no. He loves water, but wants something to retrieve from it. If you want your dog to swim, play fetch, then do it on the lake edge where the water gently gets deeper and continue to play fetch deeper and deeper, that way they gain confidence in water,

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
My spaniel whimpers when he sees water until I let him swim or tell him no. He loves water, but wants something to retrieve from it. If you want your dog to swim, play fetch, then do it on the lake edge where the water gently gets deeper and continue to play fetch deeper and deeper, that way they gain confidence in water,
Tried all of that with my dog, but no. Don't know what happened to him before he came to me though to make him scared of water. He was even scared of walking over bridges.

Gina

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I discourage my dog from see swimming as I know someone who lost his spaniel in the sea. The dog went in to get ball, couldn’t find it, and couldn't hear the recall. Just kept going.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Managements sister in Australia had a big dopey springer that wouldn’t go near the sea. We took it for a walk when we were there and it fell off a rock into the sea. If seemed quite happy splashing about so thought no more of it.
A few weeks later we got a phone call complaining the dog wouldn’t get out of the car when it was taken to the beach. We had forgotten to tell sister about it falling in the sea.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Our border terrier is a swimmer, loves the water and is always desperate to get in; but out schnoodle is a paddler, might dip his tummy in but prances around on the shoreline waiting for her to come in. He can swim as he made a mistake at West Wittering when chasing gulls near the waterline, they flew over the water he ran after them barking and disappeared under the water, a bit of frantic movement and he reappeared completely soaked and has never been out of his depth since! :LOL:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Pippa isn’t a natural water dog being a Terrier.
She was always frightened of water unless it was in a drinking bowl, now at just over a year old she can detect water anywhere we go, she still has trouble getting into it but once she finds it’s shallow enough to paddle she loves it and is quite a good swimmer.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Had 3 cockers in the 80's. Would swim across lakes, dive from boat moorings upto 3ft higher than water. Would spend hours swimming. Then we got a border , as soon as he saw water he'd leg it to get in. Would even dive into the Atlantic rollers in SW France and get bashed about rolling in on waves. But this fella...a 6yr old Welsh Terrier...well this is about his limit...
Jonesy italy.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My smallest one milo loves swimming ,every chance he gets hes right in there , jade just paddles but she can swim she just doesn't want to ...ela the youngest and biggest loves charging along the shoreline splashing but ive yet to see her trying to swim.

But if you go near the garden hose they wll run and hide 🤣🤣

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Also have an aquatic cocker spaniel here. Spends plenty of time under water as well as on it.

E59DF4F0-E0F9-44E7-8DFB-3299DB510950.jpeg

He’s often 1/2 a day out on a lake with the youngsters.

The Irish terrier on the other hand takes quite a bit more convincing. He’ll go in the canoe to avoid getting his feet wet😆

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I had two dogs one a border Collie and one a black labrador, the collie hated water but loved sticks, if I threw a stick in water she would push the labrador in the water, when the labrador brought it back the collie would take it off her.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had a border collie that had trouble going from walking mode to swimming mode. Eventually she came up with a solution, she would walk out a little way then leap in the air and come down swimming. The leg movements are different. Once she was swimming you could lift her out and she would continue doing a slow doggy paddle in the air so long as she was over water, she only stopped when she was over something solid like our boat.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Had 3 cockers in the 80's. Would swim across lakes, dive from boat moorings upto 3ft higher than water. Would spend hours swimming. Then we got a border , as soon as he saw water he'd leg it to get in. Would even dive into the Atlantic rollers in SW France and get bashed about rolling in on waves. But this fella...a 6yr old Welsh Terrier...well this is about his limit...View attachment 642161
Our 2nd dog was a Welshie and he didn't swim either, but we had a Standard Schnauzer at the same time and she loved swimming, couldn't be off lead if there were ducks as she'd be in and away!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have one who loves water especially retrieving sticks. He’s a standard labradoodle. Our miniature labradoodle though is convinced we’re out to drown her … she’ll do no more than wet her pretty little toes … but then she’s a bit paranoid … if strangers approach her she’ll back off, convinced they want to kidnap her for a hefty ransom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back