Hymer-Mercedes Warranty Normal? (2 Viewers)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Something of a strange one, well, to me it appears to be.
We got our brand new Hymer on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter from a UK dealer last September. I had a question relation to the MB vehicle breakdown cover, so I decided to call MB direct. To my surprise they said that the vehicle was not on any of their databases as being "on the road." From the VIN they knew it had been produced. The MB dealership were very helpful, but said that they needed confirmation from the dealer of when the MH was first registered with the DVLA. So, I contacted the dealer. My surprise was when I was told that they only register the MH as on the Road with Hymer and that it is/was our responsibility to register it with Mercedes-Benz. Call me old-fashioned, but when we buy a new vehicle from a dealer, I don't expect to have to run around doing their paperwork for them. Top and bottom as it stands is that, if we suffer a breakdown on this trip, MB cannot cover us as, to them, the vehicle is not on the road. Is this scenario common? Our last MH Adria/Fiat was all registered by the dealer.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Update. We have evetually got it sorted. Some information came to light in the process that I think is worth sharing. The initial problem arose because the dealer did not register the motor element of the vehicle with Mercedes-Benz. Then, Mercedes-Benz Trucks dealer in the North East eventually managed to register it on MB's system. Unfortunately, they registered it as a car! This was discovered when I went to arrange a service plan with the dealer. That was rectified last week and it is now a van, great! We'll, not quite. The dealer emailed me today to say MBUK will not allow a service plan to be set up, as; "it is not a UK a UK vehicle, and it is a Hymer."
It all sounds very odd to me. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Safe travels all.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
I also had the same issue as you with my MB HYMER.

I registered it myself and then found I couldn’t set up a service plan🙄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Ours we found out was registered with Mercedes thankfully, we havnt tried for a service plan though.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do Mercedes offer van service plans ?

Awful dealer service though, I was going to guess at TW but maybe they are not the only badduns 🤔🙄

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Similar experience with Mercedes re warranty start date, which was soon sorted out.
I wanted to take out an extended warranty when the two year manufacturer’s warranty expired. The warranty is organised via Allianz Insurance who work with Mercedes, but after first providing a quote for the warranty, they wouldn’t sell it to me, giving the same reason as you were given for the service plan, i.e. it’s not a UK vehicle, it’s an import.

Aren’t all Sprinters imported? If it’s right-hand drive and fitted with an MPH speedometer, it’s a UK spec vehicle, so why is it any different to any other Sprinter. Computer says no, and that was the end of that.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Do Mercedes offer van service plans ?

Awful dealer service though, I was going to guess at TW but maybe they are not the only badduns 🤔🙄
Yes, apparently for UK vans you can get a service plan. Given that they are all made in Germany, I wonder how they gain UK citizenship.....
No, not TW. I won't name them as, in fairness, I have not fully taken them to task about their initial error yet. I will be doing so though. At the end of the day, we all make mistakes, or at least I did in business. The trick is going about rectifying the mistake in a proper manner. They didn't step-up to the plate there IMHO. I had to take the lead in sorting all this out.
Safe and happy travels.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Similar experience with Mercedes re warranty start date, which was soon sorted out.
I wanted to take out an extended warranty when the two year manufacturer’s warranty expired. The warranty is organised via Allianz Insurance who work with Mercedes, but after first providing a quote for the warranty, they wouldn’t sell it to me, giving the same reason as you were given for the service plan, i.e. it’s not a UK vehicle, it’s an import.

Aren’t all Sprinters imported? If it’s right-hand drive and fitted with an MPH speedometer, it’s a UK spec vehicle, so why is it any different to any other Sprinter. Computer says no, and that was the end of that.
Exactly my point. When my warranty expires I will go for Motoreasy. I have dealt with them before and they seem fairly decent. I never had to put the warranty to test, but I sold two vehicles before they expired and I had a refund through in a couple of days. I wasn't even going to contact them, I just thought that I may as well ask.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
As I understand MB would allow a service plan on a motorhome up to about a year ago, when they changed their policy, it was not a dealer decision, but the mothership. My Hymer is 2 years old now and only just had its first service with 7500 miles and was showing 68 days to go for the A service, so I did have it done early and and engine oil/filer change and transmission fluid change (auto) was £596.
In respect of warranty, my understanding is that the warranty on UK first registered MB is 3 years, whereas on a German MB (my last MB Hymer was 1st German registered) the warranty is 2 years.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
As I understand MB would allow a service plan on a motorhome up to about a year ago, when they changed their policy, it was not a dealer decision, but the mothership. My Hymer is 2 years old now and only just had its first service with 7500 miles and was showing 68 days to go for the A service, so I did have it done early and and engine oil/filer change and transmission fluid change (auto) was £596.
In respect of warranty, my understanding is that the warranty on UK first registered MB is 3 years, whereas on a German MB (my last MB Hymer was 1st German registered) the warranty is 2 years.
Very informative, thank you. Mine, I believe, was not registered with Mercedes-Benz until I eventually managed to do so after I queried and found out I was not covered for the Vrio Van breakdown cover.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, apparently for UK vans you can get a service plan. Given that they are all made in Germany, I wonder how they gain UK citizenship.....
No, not TW. I won't name them as, in fairness, I have not fully taken them to task about their initial error yet. I will be doing so though. At the end of the day, we all make mistakes, or at least I did in business. The trick is going about rectifying the mistake in a proper manner. They didn't step-up to the plate there IMHO. I had to take the lead in sorting all this out.
Safe and happy travels.
According to Mercedes, one of my sprinters was produced in South Africa

Apr 23, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
mclouis 373 2022
Exp
New to it but have been caravaning for 38years
We got our brand new Hymer on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter from a UK dealer last September. I had a question relation to the MB vehicle breakdown cover, so I decided to call MB direct. To my surprise they said that the vehicle was not on any of their databases as being "on the road." From the VIN they knew it had been produced. The MB dealership were very helpful, but said that they needed confirmation from the dealer of when the MH was first registered with the DVLA. So, I contacted the dealer. My surprise was when I was told that they only register the MH as on the Road with Hymer and that it is/was our responsibility to register it with Mercedes-Benz. Call me old-fashioned, but when we buy a new vehicle from a dealer, I don't expect to have to run around doing their paperwork for them. Top and bottom as it stands is that, if we suffer a breakdown on this trip, MB cannot cover us as, to them, the vehicle is not on the road. Is this scenario common? Our last MH Adria/Fiat was all registered by the dealer.
My fiat was not registered by my dealer when I called fiat there call centre is in France as I had a warranty problem,I had to send copy of v5 and my driving license to them to prove it was mine .bottom line is dealers take your money then let you have all the hassle afterwards

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
April 2023 .....
Similar experience with MB Warranty for our Hymer campervan ; ordered Jan 2022, delivered April 2023.
Feb 2024 contacted nearest MB commercial dealer as had a problem with the fuel gauge stopping working, they required the VIN to track the vehicle down BUT then informed me that the 2 year MB warranty would be expiring in late April 2024 as the base vehicle was manufactured in April 2022 !

Anyway have now had the warranty work completed by MB commercial but also contacted MBUK as the Hymer dealer had advised the warranty should be 2 years from 1st registration of the vehicle (as per V5C). Eventually got to speak to someone who took the VIN etc and initially confirmed the same April 2022 start date for the 2 year warranty, so I stated that the dealer advised it should be 2 years from 1st reg in the UK. At this point there was a delay and then she confirmed she could see the date of 1st reg in the UK as 10/04/2023 and that the MB warranty was in fact 2 years from that date.
She refused to send this information to me when asked and said that if I had a problem between April 2023 and April 2024 and MB commercial queried the warranty for them to contact MBUK who would confirm......

As the MB system registration / warranty date also affected servicing and therefore the MB Mobilo European breakdown cover I then phoned the local MB commercial dealer a couple of days later and spoke to the same warranty person there and advised what MBUK had said. He was very helpful and asked me to send across a copy of the V5C and he would see if he could get the warranty start date amended on their system. I did this and received an email back from him a couple of minutes later advising that the start date for the 2 year warranty had already been updated to 10/04/2023 (y)

So all good now, however based on my experience and others here I would recommend that anyone who has purchased a new MB based Hymer in the last 2 years and has not already had their MBUK warranty registration start date confimed, do so for peace of mind.

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
I had my 2021 Hymer campervan serviced at MB trucks last year while it was during the "2 year warranty" period, I asked about extending the warranty, I explained that as it was a Hymer and I was told when I bought it that it only had 2 years instead of 3 as on UK main dealer supplied vans, she tapped away on her computer and said according to our system it runs out in September 2024, making it 3 years! I'm now baffled. Apart from the warranty period issue at least it showed that Travelworld had registered it with MB. I will be calling in again next week to get some parts for some modifications that I am carrying out so hopefully I will get to the bottom of it. I think one of the added issues is that MB trucks in Swindon, said they don't see many campervans / motorhomes and so I think that they may not fully understand how the warranty / service system works.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Same with our ford based chausson when it was new we had to get the ford dealership to register it with ford as being on the road. It's quite important as otherwise you wouldn't get any recalls on safety issues affecting the base vehicle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My fiat was not registered by my dealer when I called fiat there call centre is in France as I had a warranty problem,I had to send copy of v5 and my driving license to them to prove it was mine .bottom line is dealers take your money then let you have all the hassle afterwards
Always worth checking it's been registered, the 3 Hymers we have had I've self imported so I have had to register it myself, easy with Fiat just take your V5 to any Fiat dealer and they can enter it on the system.

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
As a side note to my last post, MB owners may not be aware, but if you continue to service your van at a main MB dealer then you get free roadside breakdown assistance for the life of the vehicle or I think it's actually a max of 30 years. What the cover consists of, I'm not sure, probably recovery to the nearest dealer.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I've used the MB Mobilio service, with my 1st van 3 years ago, breakdown on the M25 at night, a fairly swift attendance and a 4 wheel lift (auto box) to the MB commercial garage at Heathrow, another guy was called out to open up the workshops and the problem was fixed and we were on our way home again! Impressive service I would suggest. Certainly beats the time I got a puncture in our MX5 (no spare) and waited 5 hours before the AA called to say they could not make it until the morning, so could we get a taxi home (was only 10 miles)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
One issue that some sprinter based units had was the dashboard computer. Virtually everything could be put into imperial untis, some like the the fuel consumption data was always km per litre and could not be changed. My MB truck dealer did all they could, the technician took it personally that all the sprinters he'd ever seen were changeable, just not my RHD hymer. Turned out it was a country code inserted at point of delivery and would only use the country it had been sold to, Hymer Germany, despite being rhd and a speedo in mph.

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
I also had the same issue as you with my MB HYMER.

I registered it myself and then found I couldn’t set up a service plan🙄
Not exactly the same however regarding service plan - I went to book a first 'A' service for Hymer / Mercedes M'Home. I was talked into a service plan which seemed a great deal to me (2 x A service, 2 x B service plus 1x auto transmission service - more than enough to get you through at least 5 years & all for £24 per month). Duly booked it in only to be told at drop off that MB no longer offers service plans for motorhomes. A bit of a shambles really and the first service ended up costing me almost £700 as they insisted that the auto transmission needed to be done as well 😩

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
A couple of useful email addresses to contact Mercedes.
The first one I contacted in relation to ensure being registered for the Mercedes breakdown cover, which they have confirmed. You need to send vin number, reg, name and address.
The second one in relation to the Mercedes Me app so that I could get advice on activating the oversize vehicle information in the MBUX Nav system. I have now input the vehicle size into the vehicles Nav system.

cs.uk@cac.mercedes-benz.com

me-connect.gbr@cac.mercedes-benz.com

Trust this maybe helpful to others.

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Was it Erwin Hymer Travel World by chanes?

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Was it Erwin Hymer Travel World by chanes?
No, it was not them. I posted earlier that I would not name the dealer as I still want to take them to task face to face. TBF, from the responses to this thread, it is not an uncommon occurrence. Our last MH, an Adria, was purchased from Marquiss in Durham. They made sure that everything was registered with Fiat and Adria at the point of collection. They were very good after the sale too when the inevitable niggles in the MH surfaced. They were dealt with promptly and efficiently. Given that Hymer's promotional material leads me to believe that they think they are a cut above the rest. My experience of them is that they need to up their game a bit with their dealerships.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
The first one I contacted in relation to ensure being registered for the Mercedes breakdown cover, which they have confirmed. You need to send vin number, reg, name and address.
The second one in relation to the Mercedes Me app so that I could get advice on activating the oversize vehicle information in the MBUX Nav system. I have now input the vehicle size into the vehicles Nav system.

Thanks. I will keep these handy. My main gripe is with the MH dealership I did not expect to have this level of grief when purchasing a brand new vehicle.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp

So, did Mercedes Me have to input your C-Tourer size direct into the MBUX navigation or are you able to do this yourself? thanks John

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
So, did Mercedes Me have to input your C-Tourer size direct into the MBUX navigation or are you able to do this yourself? thanks John
It’s a bit odd as you can’t do it directly into the system screen within the van. You have to “activate” the “Navigation for trailers and oversized vehicles” in the Mercedes Me app, once activated you can input your particular vehicle size into the app and it does an “over air” update of the vehicle’s system. The oversized vehicle option magically appears on the MBUX Nav system menu which you can set to on. Oddly you can’t see your vehicle size within the MBUX Nav menu so I’m curious to test it out on the next trip as previously it was trying to send me down some rather inappropriate routes!!

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
It’s a bit odd as you can’t do it directly into the system screen within the van. You have to “activate” the “Navigation for trailers and oversized vehicles” in the Mercedes Me app, once activated you can input your particular vehicle size into the app and it does an “over air” update of the vehicle’s system. The oversized vehicle option magically appears on the MBUX Nav system menu which you can set to on. Oddly you can’t see your vehicle size within the MBUX Nav menu so I’m curious to test it out on the next trip as previously it was trying to send me down some rather inappropriate routes!!
This is very interesting. I can’t see that option in the Mercedes Me app. Can you point me in the direction of where to activate that option please?

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
This is very interesting. I can’t see that option in the Mercedes Me app. Can you point me in the direction of where to activate that option please?
Firstly, if you haven’t already done so you need to register and input your vehicle details.
If you then tap on “my vehicle, then manage services you will see a list of services that can be activated. Comfort, Infotainment, Navigation, Safety and Service.
Tap on navigation and you will see the option “Navigation for Trailers and Oversized Vehicles” set this to activate.
At first mine wouldn’t activate so I contacted Mercedes on the email address noted earlier and they sent the following, so you may have to do this too.

“You will need to verify your account.

To do that follow the steps below:
  1. Open the Mme App
  2. Click on the burger menu on the top left
  3. Select your name
  4. Scroll down to find identity check
  5. Follow this process”
You can also tap on “feature highlights” to see the various options.

All a bit of a pain unfortunately it seems crazy you can’t just put the vehicle size directly into the MBUX screen in the van!

Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back