Ho Box (1 Viewer)

Mar 18, 2019
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Off to Slovenia in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone has had any problems with getting a GO BOX for a camper over 3.5 tons on entering Austria? It’s a few years since we were last there and my better half thinks that the system as changed but I can’t see any differences on the WEB!

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
My understanding is you have to be able to provide your emissions. UK V5 documents generally do not show this so you have to get a Certificate of Conformity for your van from somewhere, approx £150 if your dealer cant get it for you. If you don’t produce this then you get a fine at some time in the future.
I was looking into it for a spontaneous visit a few months ago and it was just too complicated to do on the spot for me.

Others may have better experiences And advice.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't help but if you are quick you can still edit the title of this thread. It will help get an answer.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I don’t think a copy of old-mo “s rotten jokes book is going to help pay your way across Switzerland 😂😂😂

Ho ho ho. Said Santa.

Seriously, I did think of travelling in Austria and Switzerland this year but all the faff with toll roads means Germany will get our tourist pounds this year.
Good move, especially when it comes to Austria. They're just out to catch you in every way they can. I know from bitter experience, don’t ask.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Just show your V5 and they will happily releive you of your euros.
As an alternative, just stick to the local roads and enjoy the scenery

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Just show your V5 and they will happily releive you of your euros.
As an alternative, just stick to the local roads and enjoy the scenery
Not the case. They put up a road block and forced me onto a motorway then did me for 300€ for being on it. 7 km from the border. Police Thought it was funny.
Phil

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Not the case. They put up a road block and forced me onto a motorway then did me for 300€ for being on it. 7 km from the border. Police Thought it was funny.
Phil
Had the same happen in Lichtenstein. Road closed. Divert onto motorway. Police busy doing the car in front so we nipped by. Disgusting how low these countries will stoop to rob you of your beer tokens.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My understanding is you have to be able to provide your emissions. UK V5 documents generally do not show this so you have to get a Certificate of Conformity for your van from somewhere, approx £150 if your dealer cant get it for you. If you don’t produce this then you get a fine at some time in the future.
I was looking into it for a spontaneous visit a few months ago and it was just too complicated to do on the spot for me.

Others may have better experiences And advice.

We went through Austria last year. We have no emissions on our papers. They just put you in the worst category which costs more per km.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Phil
Serious question Phil, if it was a “normal” road they closed, did you not have the option to do a u turn a go back the way you came, then figured out another route?
I’ve been through Austria a few times in moho and many times on the bike and have never seen a compulsory diversion onto the motorway. I transit (+3.5t) on a route that doesn’t run near a motorway, so hopefully I have no fear of being put on one! That said I did enter via Kufstein in June with no problems👌🏼

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Serious question Phil, if it was a “normal” road they closed, did you not have the option to do a u turn a go back the way you came, then figured out another route?
I’ve been through Austria a few times in moho and many times on the bike and have never seen a compulsory diversion onto the motorway. I transit (+3.5t) on a route that doesn’t run near a motorway, so hopefully I have no fear of being put on one! That said I did enter via Kufstein in June with no problems👌🏼
A policeman standing there ushered us up the slip road onto the motorway. I guess I could have refused but it all happened so quick I would have had to reverse down the slip road. They laughed and had it all on video as well. I even wrote to the Austrian embassy about it, no reply whatsoever.
They can stick there country as far as I’m concerned.
Phil

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Had the same happen in Lichtenstein. Road closed. Divert onto motorway. Police busy doing the car in front so we nipped by. Disgusting how low these countries will stoop to rob you of your beer tokens.
It’s going to get worse now we’re out of Europe. I wont be going near the place.
Phil

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
A policeman standing there ushered us up the slip road onto the motorway. I guess I could have refused but it all happened so quick I would have had to reverse down the slip road. They laughed and had it all on video as well. I even wrote to the Austrian embassy about it, no reply whatsoever.
They can stick there country as far as I’m concerned.
Phil
I guess it must stick in the craw a bit Phil, I’m pretty sure if I thought it would cost me money, being a Yorkshireman I’d have three point turned there and then before the slip road, but as I’ve said before I’ve been going Austria every year since 2002 and I would rather go sub 3.5t than not go, it’s such a special beautiful country!
They’ll only fleece me once and the van will be swapped for a 3.5t complete with vignette and two fingers up at them👍👍

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We used the Go box a few years ago. We got one at first available place on the Austrian border and declared our emissions category. As it wasn’t on the V5, when we got home we had to get a letter from Fiat with the emissions on it and send a copy to the toll people. A right old faf. Very expensive tolls too. We now use Switzerland if we are going that way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back