Hi Guys, Newbie, nearly at Retirement, Single 66 year old lady, who is young in mind, and just bought an old lady as a M/Home! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
sweet caroline

sweet caroline

Free Member
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
sweet caroline , Welcome!

As you live in Bury, can I second Holly's mum's recommendation to book up immediately to the Swaffham Bash while there are still spaces.
It's great Rally with a bargain menu of Food, Frolics, Fun & Advice! (You can even do some Moped racing!) and it's local. what more could anyone ask for? :LOL:
I definately will do thank you

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Hi, and welcome, my first thing would be to get the vans lpg system converted to gaslow ( other versions are available) so you don't have to lug heavy gas canisters about. Just drive into a a service station and top up!

OP
OP
sweet caroline

sweet caroline

Free Member
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Hi, and welcome, my first thing would be to get the vans lpg system converted to gaslow ( other versions are available) so you don't have to lug heavy gas canisters about. Just drive into a a service station and top up!
Sadly Dollie is an old lady 21 years old, i suspect too old for that, but the cannisters are outside, and not within my m/h anyway

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
eyup from yorkshire,thats a very nice looking van you have there….pam👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dandm

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 12, 2020
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron 46
Exp
Since 2019
Sadly Dollie is an old lady 21 years old, i suspect too old for that, but the cannisters are outside, and not within my m/h anyway
The canisters are in the locker at the rear near side of your van. These can be replaced with gaslow, gasit or similar refillable systems. As Tim P says this will save you lugging heavy cylinders about.

OP
OP
sweet caroline

sweet caroline

Free Member
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
how much is the conversion, and apart from weight, etc, what are the
benefits for me, plus jsut spent 100 on new cylinders now

Dandm

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 12, 2020
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron 46
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure how much a conversation would cost, I fitted mine myself but they aren’t cheap. The benefits apart from weight to carry around are that the lpg is cheaper than pre-filled cylinders and much easier to get if you are travelling in Europe. If you have just bought new cylinders it may pay you to get used to Dollie first and think about refillable in the future - no rush at present.

OP
OP
sweet caroline

sweet caroline

Free Member
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Not sure how much a conversation would cost, I fitted mine myself but they aren’t cheap. The benefits apart from weight to carry around are that the lpg is cheaper than pre-filled cylinders and much easier to get if you are travelling in Europe. If you have just bought new cylinders it may pay you to get used to Dollie first and think about refillable in the future - no rush at present.
Ahhh Thank you, as i said, ive just bought her, and anymoe complications, to think about is slightly worrying honey ! hahah. I need to get one of the rallys, to meet people, with far more knowledge than I ever will as a mere surgical podiatrist hahah

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

The Gaslow system is good but will cost between £3 to 500 at least. As you have an outside locker, keep lifting the new canister, it will save you having to visit the Gym until you get older. :LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Ahhh Thank you, as i said, ive just bought her, and anymoe complications, to think about is slightly worrying honey ! hahah. I need to get one of the rallys, to meet people, with far more knowledge than I ever will as a mere surgical podiatrist hahah

Just what we want on our Funster Rallies, 'a mere surgical podiatrist'. Now about my right foot, it's far too heavy! :rofl:

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Welcome Caroline, i'm relatively new around here too :giggle:.
I wouldnt stress about swapping gas for refillable at this stage (if at all) .
So whats first on your list ?

Reactions: f6c

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Did you get your new cylinders exchanged for any old ones? If so then you didn't pay £100 for new cylinders. When you have exchange cylinders, whether they be calor or flo gas or any other supplier, when your cylinders are empty,, having used all the gas in them, you exchange them for ones that are full of gas,
Previous posters were trying to point out that it's quite an expensive way of buying gas and can be inconvenient because you have to disconnect the empty cylinder, remove it from the motorhome and then you have to refit the replacement. Depending on the size of the cylinder, it could cost around £40 each time.
So the £100 you spent might include a fee for renting the cylinders if you didn't have any to exchange(because they remain the property of the gas supplier) and for the gas inside. You don't pay a rental fee each time you replace your cylinders, just the first time if you're not replacing existing cylinders.

What posters were trying to point out was that an alternative to that, is a gas system where you have your own gas cylinders and pipework that allows you to simply fill up at a petrol station or supplier (that sells LPG) at a much cheaper price.
You haven't wasted money in what you've done (if my assumption is correct), but if you intend staying in your new relationship with Dollie, having refillable cylinders might be an option for the future. If your gas consumption is going to be low, then it might not be worth getting a refillable system. If however your gas consumption is going to be high, then perhaps it might be?

I hope I have explained it clearly and if you already knew what I have written then you are well on your way to becoming an experienced motorhomes 😁

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Id keep cylinders for now your in your sixties not nineties , as has been said before use it or lose it
Im your age and i like to lug stuff around myself, its very kind of gents to offer to move beer barrels water bowsers etc but i generally refuse , cos its deffo use it or lose it👍🏼
Till i have a sudden heart attack lol
Enjoy your adventures 😃

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Send us pics of your new toy mines an old girl at 17 now

Reactions: f6c

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Yes just sent my Cheque to JAWS, who is the organiser, and actually meeting him next week, as he is taking me to his local Full Service Provider, which is sooo kind of him and the rest of you willing to give me advise!
You really could not have anyone better than Jaws he is a lovely man and very knowledgeable, it's what this forum does well look out for one another.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Yes just sent my Cheque to JAWS, who is the organiser, and actually meeting him next week, as he is taking me to his local Full Service Provider, which is sooo kind of him and the rest of you willing to give me advise!
Becareful in the raffle he'll sell you anything wether you need it or not , by the way pj's better than a onesie it's warmer when you need a wee. And easier

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Becareful in the raffle he'll sell you anything wether you need it or not , by the way pj's better than a onesie it's warmer when you need a wee. And easier

Nah! just a onesie with a crutch stud flap (like the old cowboy type) stop the draught around your kidneys. :LOL:

OP
OP
sweet caroline

sweet caroline

Free Member
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Did you get your new cylinders exchanged for any old ones? If so then you didn't pay £100 for new cylinders. When you have exchange cylinders, whether they be calor or flo gas or any other supplier, when your cylinders are empty,, having used all the gas in them, you exchange them for ones that are full of gas,
Previous posters were trying to point out that it's quite an expensive way of buying gas and can be inconvenient because you have to disconnect the empty cylinder, remove it from the motorhome and then you have to refit the replacement. Depending on the size of the cylinder, it could cost around £40 each time.
So the £100 you spent might include a fee for renting the cylinders if you didn't have any to exchange(because they remain the property of the gas supplier) and for the gas inside. You don't pay a rental fee each time you replace your cylinders, just the first time if you're not replacing existing cylinders.

What posters were trying to point out was that an alternative to that, is a gas system where you have your own gas cylinders and pipework that allows you to simply fill up at a petrol station or supplier (that sells LPG) at a much cheaper price.
You haven't wasted money in what you've done (if my assumption is correct), but if you intend staying in your new relationship with Dollie, having refillable cylinders might be an option for the future. If your gas consumption is going to be low, then it might not be worth getting a refillable system. If however your gas consumption is going to be high, then perhaps it might be?

I hope I have explained it clearly and if you already knew what I have written then you are well on your way to becoming an experienced motorhomes 😁
OWWThank you somuch for all this advise above, really appreciated so much.

OP
OP
sweet caroline

sweet caroline

Free Member
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
:pink: Just get out there and have a go, if there are things you need explaining before you start, just ask, there may be a few tongue in cheek responses though. For things like heating, water fridges, the instructions are mostly available as a pdf, google may become a friend.
good luck and hold onto your sense of humour, there are things you might despair about now, but will look back on with amusement.
Thank you so much .yes I've become a utube addict. N still unsure about things. I need to BE IN THE VAN,I think than just read n watching videos. But as my thread says it goes into service on Friday n only then will I feel confident to drive n get used to it thank you for yr concerns though guys

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Thank you so much .yes I've become a utube addict. N still unsure about things. I need to BE IN THE VAN,I think than just read n watching videos. But as my thread says it goes into service on Friday n only then will I feel confident to drive n get used to it thank you for yr concerns though guys
get out there girl , my first stop was on the way back after buying it from Peterborough, wilded by the river at Ross on Wye , didn't sleep well as heard every movement outside, but now spend most of my time parked off grid as such tend to only use sites if going to a rallie or a silly cannot be refused deal pops up.
Just enjoy yourself you will meet some amazing people and the ones your not keen on you can always move ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back