Got the right gear, but couldn't make the connection! (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have a 4G/LTE ZTE MiFi, with an ID Mobile sim inserted using the Three Network, connected to a quality Poynting MiMo 3-V2-12 roof antenna. It normally all works well, but at the coast in Suffolk recently, the signal kept ranging from 4G/LTE to 3G then disconnecting. :(
I changed the sim card over to my Galaxy A13 phone, and created a hot spot. The signal on the phone (inside the MH) was a constant 4G. :whatthe:

So, can anyone tell me please, why my Samsung A13 phone is up to the job, but my ZTE Cat 6 MiFi, connected to the roof mounted antenna wasn't on this particular occasion?

Thanks in advance,

Jock. :)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Nope, but have experienced similar situations occasionally.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The problem is Jock that with the speed of development of hardware (smartphones) and the continuous improvement in their operating performance for data, MiFi’s just aren’t working as well now as the networks are being ‘tuned’ to the newer devices.

Further, unless a very good MiFi install (short cables and no extra connectors) the cable loss from a roof mount antenna will negate or even impede the performance compared to a smartphone. This is true even in the relative poor signal environment of a Motorhome, it’s even more marked a difference outside.

You’ve tried it yourself with a new Smartphone and your Mifi. The smartphone will always give significantly better data speed than the MiFi device.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The problem is Jock that with the speed of development of hardware (smartphones) and the continuous improvement in their operating performance for data, MiFi’s just aren’t working as well now as the networks are being ‘tuned’ to the newer devices.

Further, unless a very good MiFi install (short cables and no extra connectors) the cable loss from a roof mount antenna will negate or even impede the performance compared to a smartphone. This is true even in the relative poor signal environment of a Motorhome, it’s even more marked a difference outside.

You’ve tried it yourself with a new Smartphone and your Mifi. The smartphone will always give significantly better data speed than the MiFi device.
Thanks for the input Harvey. Much appreciated. (y)

It's the first time we have not managed to get a decent signal from the MH set up since installation over a year ago, even in remote areas both here and abroad (the whole point of the chosen installation), which really surprised me. It's been great up until last week at Southwold.

Maybe there may be a higher Cat of MiFi, as ours is only Cat 6.

JockandRita We had a 4g Motorhome wi-fi and it was not as good as our phones,
I did contact Motorhome wi-fi to ask the question but never really got anywher, so dumped it and now just tend to use the phones🙂
Thanks Steve. (y) It may well come to that if I can't find a better 4G/LTE/5G, 12v/USB powered router. :(

Cheers,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had the same problem recently in France & Spain. Depending on location we getting 35 to 95mb/s on the phone but Mifi with Poynting aerial 6 to 12mb/s.
Never had it before Mifi has always been far superior to the phone. Sim suppliers say they don't restrict use in a Mifi, I still think the the Network is detecting a mifi or router and throttling the signal.
Been using the same phone for 2 or 3 years so it's not newer technology in the phone also the difference in speed I was getting was far too wide for it to be that.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Get rid of the mifi Jock and just use your dish and then mobile when you need to use data 😉
If you mean a Starlink dish Dave, that's not an option in our case. ;)

Lenny HB. I think there is substance in what you suggest re possibly throttling, as I never had the same problem with the Vodafone sim card. :(

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
If you mean a Starlink dish Dave, that's not an option in our case. ;)

Lenny HB. I think there is substance in what you suggest re possibly throttling, as I never had the same problem with the Vodafone sim card. :(

Cheers,

Oyster Dish 📡 Jock you know that so called redundant thing on the roof 👍🏻

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’m serious, can it be done?
I am just being a bit sarcastic Simon a lot of people think the day of satellite TV is dead in the water and to use data for everything including TV great if you can get the data but you still can't guarantee it 😉

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I am just being a bit sarcastic Simon a lot of people think the day of satellite TV is dead in the water and to use data for everything including TV great if you can get the data but you still can't guarantee it 😉
Sarcastic! You Dave, never! :giggle: (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is it a data only sim or a normal "phone" sim? If the latter this lends supports to Lenny HB's suggestion.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Oyster Dish 📡 Jock you know that so called redundant thing on the roof 👍🏻
Ah, but it's never been redundant Dave, ie, used at every opportunity, and useful all the way down to Northern Spain. ;) However, for data it's of no use to man nor beast. ;)

Not this chappie, but needs must sometimes when certain weather conditions prevail. ;)

Is it a data only sim or a normal "phone" sim? If the latter this lends supports to Lenny HB's suggestion.
Yes John, it is a phone sim, but was assured that it was suitable for the MiFi. The home TP Link router uses a phone sim, and that whizzes along data wise.

Cheers,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When we stayed at Cliffhouse campsite near Dunwich, not far from Southwold, we had very poor data on our Huawei B535 router with the same antenna as you.
It was just about good enough to stream tv with a bit of buffering and our phones were the same.
The best signal we got was on the beach.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
When we stayed at Cliffhouse campsite near Dunwich, not far from Southwold, we had very poor data on our Huawei B535 router with the same antenna as you.
It was just about good enough to stream tv with a bit of buffering and our phones were the same.
The best signal we got was on the beach.
I am convinced it is a location signal issue. That Norfolk/Suffolk coast has always been dodgy in years past for TV, Radio, and Mobile signals.

Here at home, I have just returned the ID Mobile sim card to the MiFi.
Immediately it came up with 2 x bars out of 5 x bars of useable LTE signal.
Once connected to the roof antenna, that signal strength went from 2 x bars to a full 5 x bars, and a download speed of 12 Mbps, with an upload speed of 16.60 Mbps, and a ping of 41 ms.

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back