Or you could:
Drive onto the ferry at Poole ?10 miles,
Drive off at Le Havre or Cherbourg
Nip off to Auchan less than 10km
Bugger off in whatever direction appeals for a few weeks
Return via Auchan to top off lpg 10km
Back home 10 miles

Total distance for lpg 32 miles
Elapsed time less than 90 days, life really is that simples.
This advice is freely given, no responsibility for ANY enjoyment is borne by the advisor.
Jon asw19

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I’m very interested in these posts as I am just going to get a LPG system fitted.
”the perceived better reputation of gasflow” where does this come from?
I thought Gas It were the forerunners and largely supplied industry in the form of LPG for forklifts etc.
As I mentioned I’m looking to have a system installed and at the moment “I know nothing”
You don't really need a system --simply a pair of legally refillable bottles --IMHO

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I live 10 miles North of Brighton. 4 of the 5 garages within a 15 miles radius have removed their LPG pumps during the past 18 months and out of interest I check the BP garage at Patcham when I go past a couple of times a week but in the past 6 months I haven't managed to get any. Although the LPG on the sign is illuminated the pump has always been unavailable.
Luckily, anticipating that possibility four years ago I installed one Gaslow and one Calor propane, both permanently connected.

View attachment 678058

Got exactly the same thing

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't get your reply? thats just two links?
Follow the links and you will get a comparison of two roughly comparable systems. However the Gas It system is significantly cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
We can agree to disagree, for 3 more years of warranty on the system, stainless steel hoses not rubber and the perceived better reputation of gaslow I don't call it significant, I call it an investment. Same way I spent a grand on a growler and batterymaster from Vanbitz rather than a cheaper alternative.
That's one way of trying to justify paying half as much again for pretty much the same thing.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's one way of trying to justify paying half as much again for pretty much the same thing.
I chose Gaslow mainly for their reputation and the s/s sheathed hoses and because when amortised over maybe 10 years of use (moving it between m/h's if necessary) the extra cost per year was irrelevant. Anyway, I don't do 'cheapest', even for 'much the same thing' especially for life safety applications. Their technical dep't and their service was first class.

Last edited:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I bought my bottles for my current van, 1 gasit and 1 gaslow, off ebay from people who were upgrading.
Have always bought the pipes, connectors, etc for my Van's from gaslow as it is just up the road from me and now even better they have got an lpg tank onsite so the boss can fill the van up in the week if we need it 👍

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We can agree to disagree, for 3 more years of warranty on the system, stainless steel hoses not rubber and the perceived better reputation of gaslow I don't call it significant, I call it an investment. Same way I spent a grand on a growler and batterymaster from Vanbitz rather than a cheaper alternative.
Gasit is actually only a 1 year warranty that you can extend to 2 years by registering your purchase within 30 days.
Gaslow is a pretty much quibble free 10 year warranty.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Alugas are better than both of them but a bit dearer. And you can get the cylinders refirbed at the factory after 10 years rather than having to buy new ones.
We sell the Alugas cylinders and yes It’s great test they offer the refurbishment but it’s only available to those who travel to Germany.
Also the latest cost is pretty much the replacement cost for the others ⚠️
Alugas don’t give the 10 year warranty that Gaslow do .
Gaslow also offer a refurbishment scheme on the older style cylinders.
Alugas still recommend replacement at 10 years over refurbishment, personally I wouldn’t go to the hassle, easier to replace.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Had both systems, gasit is ok and more choices of fillers.
Gaslow more pricey but look better made and gauges just look better.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You could say that with anything you choose to buy really.
We have sold many different types of gas cylinders here at Autogas as the vast majority of cylinders are made by a few manufacturers then branded by everybody else .
We could lower our prices by selling the cheap thermoplastic pipe that you have to self assemble , but we choose not to even supply it to our trade customers let alone trust diyers with it ⚠️
We now stock several different types and will have Safefill too very soon .

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I’m very interested in these posts as I am just going to get a LPG system fitted.
”the perceived better reputation of gasflow” where does this come from?
I thought Gas It were the forerunners and largely supplied industry in the form of LPG for forklifts etc.
As I mentioned I’m looking to have a system installed and at the moment “I know nothing”

Also consider Alugas - especially if payload is a consideration.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We have 1x11kg Gaslow and a 6kg Calor in our MH. It has an auto changer, but we shut the Calor off and try to run always on the Gaslow. The Calor is there for times when we may run out in an area where sourcing LPG (mainly in UK) is difficult, or for running the barbecue when we are travelling anywhere. So far, we have only ran out on the Gaslow for one evening and that was shortly after I fitted the system. I thought this was a better route than going 100% refillable LPG od bottled.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I was going to suggest a trip up to South Wiltshire as there is gas at a few places up this way Bulford village Nisa filling station has lpg also I believe although not used Winterbourne Stoke A303 and there are couple on the A303 near Ilchester, Sparkford 🤔

also a main dealer just North of Devizes.

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Dorchester reliably has lpg, ok access for my 7.75m van.
At least when I left home in mid September, last confirmed 17/10
Jon
It depends totally on which side your gas tank and filler is on.
Ours is on the drivers side at the rear.
The garage is triangular in shape on a busy roundabout junction so we have to come in from Dorchester centre. One of the pumps where we need to get to is always busy and you can't just stop to wait as it would block the whole junction. Normally have to turn into Lidl and wait for an opportunity to jump across the junction to get in. Last time someone just drove straight in from the north and blocked that whole side.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
We have 1x11kg Gaslow and a 6kg Calor in our MH. It has an auto changer, but we shut the Calor off and try to run always on the Gaslow. The Calor is there for times when we may run out in an area where sourcing LPG (mainly in UK) is difficult, or for running the barbecue when we are travelling anywhere. So far, we have only ran out on the Gaslow for one evening and that was shortly after I fitted the system. I thought this was a better route than going 100% refillable LPG od bottled.
Same as me, 11kg gaslow and a 6kg calor, though Ive kept them seperate so would have to manually change over, not had to yet though. I have to admit Im tempted to get another gaslow and be done with it as not had any issues getting gas at all for refilling.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Same as me, 11kg gaslow and a 6kg calor, though Ive kept them seperate so would have to manually change over, not had to yet though. I have to admit Im tempted to get another gaslow and be done with it as not had any issues getting gas at all for refilling.
It is just the flexibility of being able to take the Calor out to use with the barbecue that swung it for me.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
It is just the flexibility of being able to take the Calor out to use with the barbecue that swung it for me.
do you mean the bbq at home or the van, i've an external bbq point on the van.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have same belt and braces set up.
1 GasLow, one Calor.

I've been hauling a full bottle of Calor around for three years, never had to use it, so if a Gaslow bottle pops up in the classifieds I'll be getting rid of the calor

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
It depends totally on which side your gas tank and filler is on.
Ours is on the drivers side at the rear.
The garage is triangular in shape on a busy roundabout junction so we have to come in from Dorchester centre. One of the pumps where we need to get to is always busy and you can't just stop to wait as it would block the whole junction. Normally have to turn into Lidl and wait for an opportunity to jump across the junction to get in. Last time someone just drove straight in from the north and blocked that whole side.
Luckily I can go at any time, so evenings is best, I fill as often as I can as it is very handy.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
do you mean the bbq at home or the van, i've an external bbq point on the van.
The BBQ in the MH. I do not have a gas point for it. Having had one on our caravan before we crossed over to the Bright Side, I felt it restricted where we could put the BBQ. This way I can keep it well away from the vehicle.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
The BBQ in the MH. I do not have a gas point for it. Having had one on our caravan before we crossed over to the Bright Side, I felt it restricted where we could put the BBQ. This way I can keep it well away from the vehicle.
I've a 2m gas hose so thats well enough away :)

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Like the original poster I had 2 out of date cylinders and 3 hoses replaced by Carl at Gaslow Loughborough today, Brilliant professional service and a fair price for quality products, can't praise Gaslow enough and was worth the 5 hour round trip.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If you check the prices you will see there is £200 difference in price which you say is hardly significant?🤔
I would say that’s a big difference?
From those links there is only £30 difference in the price of the bottles, and a difference in products (eg gauge) and warranty. When i bought mine the gaslow was cheaper, i mixed and matched using some gasit products.
I started with the one bottle and a calour 6kg (installed by dealer) i have since changed 6kg to a 13kg calor. In these times continuity of supply more important than price.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Like the original poster I had 2 out of date cylinders and 3 hoses replaced by Carl at Gaslow Loughborough today, Brilliant professional service and a fair price for quality products, can't praise Gaslow enough and was worth the 5 hour round trip.
When planning my Gaslow system I had terrific support from their techy and sales people. I later had to return a too short hose that I'd ordered in error and they sent me a longer one charging me just the price difference before receiving the returned one. I wish I needed to deal with them more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back