Fogstar Drift App (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Anybody having problems with the app ?
I received 2 x 105AH Fogstar Drifts today.
I down loaded the app on to my phone but no matter what I do my phone just searches and searches and doesn't connect.
I have also down loaded the app on to my tablet but that won't connect either.
I have Bluetooth and location turned on on both devices and have uninstalled and re-installed the app several times on both devices but still no joy.
I can connect to other devices via Bluetooth no problem.

Solution2
Due to slight differences in resistances due to manufacture and even temperature, and electricity always takes the path of least resistance there will inevitably be one battery that drops quicker them the other my two Aolithium batteries rarely discharge at exactly the same rate there is always a slight difference, but not enough to cause me any concern.
According to the app only 1 battery at a time is discharging.
I put a 5amp load on the system and 1 battery showed it had a 5amp load on it and the other battery showed no load on it.
I would have expected both batteries to have shown about a 2.5amp load on each ?
Dec 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 662
Exp
Like you headlight, a friend of mine bought a Foster Drift 105Ah a few weeks ago and he couldn't connect to it. After talking to Fogstar, it was replaced an the new one connects fine. They told him they never normally have this type of problem, but perhaps it has become a little more common?

Steve.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Like you headlight, a friend of mine bought a Foster Drift 105Ah a few weeks ago and he couldn't connect to it. After talking to Fogstar, it was replaced an the new one connects fine. They told him they never normally have this type of problem, but perhaps it has become a little more common?

Steve.
On Friday Fogstar told me they've never heard of anyone having problems connecting to their app.
From what you have said, and other replies on this thread, then that is obviously not true.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On Friday Fogstar told me they've never heard of anyone having problems connecting to their app.
From what you have said, and other replies on this thread, then that is obviously not true.
Search the forum there's a few people had problems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Search the forum there's a few people had problems.
Yes I've seen them now.
To be fair to Fogstar, on Friday they did offer to replace my batteries but he said he couldn't see the point as they'd never had any problems with their app and he thought the problem was with my phone and tablet and not the batteries bluetooth modules.
Now I'm not so sure.
Although the other app they sent me, Xiaoxiang, does work ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes I've seen them now.
To be fair to Fogstar, on Friday they did offer to replace my batteries but he said he couldn't see the point as they'd never had any problems with their app and he thought the problem was with my phone and tablet and not the batteries bluetooth modules.
Now I'm not so sure.
Can you get a neighbour or friend to try on their phone to see, but he is lying as there's quite a few problems listed just on here. I'd go for new batteries if I were you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Can you get a neighbour or friend to try on their phone to see, but he is lying as there's quite a few problems listed just on here. I'd go for new batteries if I were you.
I've already tried the girlfriends phone and tablet and neither of them would connect either.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
To say someone is lying seems to be a bit of a strong comment...

Upvote 0

Ian_H

Free Member
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
He said no one has had issues yet several people on here have so I'm only saying what I know to be true.
Surprised Fogstar have said that as they have suggested the alternative app to several customers, and on the Fogstar-drift batteries facebook page they received a lot of comments re problems when they asked about suggestions for the updated app. Their app mostly works for me but often needs a forced stop and restart if I move out of range and back.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Seems most are happy with their FogStar batteries but quite a few comments and difficulties with the app, the app is an integral part of the battery so for me as I stated before it’s not fit for purpose with the current app… let’s hope they sort a better app otherwise is a different lithium battery for me…..😎

I have a roamer battery and the app regularly refuses to connect. only shutting it down leaving it for 2 minutes then reloading it fixes it.
I spent a whole day when I first got it trying to get it to work (not a whole day un interrupted).
Turns out if you disable the location service for the app it remembers this and never asks you again. I had to find a way to reset this.
When I first installed the app it was asking for me to turn on location services which I have turned off permanently. I didn't see why a battery would need to know it's location so disabled it. This was the cause of all my problems.
But still even now, I have problems with the app if I haven't looked at it in the last hour. Takes 1,2 and sometimes 3 attempts to get it to connect.

So it is not just Fogstar. I think it is because the apps are reskinned from the chinese version and the chinese programmers appear to just create a minimum viable product.
Also bluetooth is a really sucky protocol that I avoid like the plague normally.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Surprised Fogstar have said that as they have suggested the alternative app to several customers, and on the Fogstar-drift batteries facebook page they received a lot of comments re problems when they asked about suggestions for the updated app. Their app mostly works for me but often needs a forced stop and restart if I move out of range and back.
I don't think this is limited to Fogstar batteries though. I think this is across all manufacturers.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
He said no one has had issues yet several people on here have so I'm only saying what I know to be true.

Without trying to start a snowball fight, are you saying that is what someone told you, what you've read or that you actually know because that's exactly what the person at Fogstar told you personally?
Did 'he' say they've had no issues, or that they've had no issues that they haven't been able to resolve, that were directly caused by the app and not by operator error or phones etc that can't connect?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I have a roamer battery and the app regularly refuses to connect. only shutting it down leaving it for 2 minutes then reloading it fixes it.
I spent a whole day when I first got it trying to get it to work (not a whole day un interrupted).
Turns out if you disable the location service for the app it remembers this and never asks you again. I had to find a way to reset this.
When I first installed the app it was asking for me to turn on location services which I have turned off permanently. I didn't see why a battery would need to know it's location so disabled it. This was the cause of all my problems.
But still even now, I have problems with the app if I haven't looked at it in the last hour. Takes 1,2 and sometimes 3 attempts to get it to connect.

So it is not just Fogstar. I think it is because the apps are reskinned from the chinese version and the chinese programmers appear to just create a minimum viable product.
Also bluetooth is a really sucky protocol that I avoid like the plague normally.
Well I have a roamer battery and never have them problems 🙈🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Without trying to start a snowball fight, are you saying that is what someone told you, what you've read or that you actually know because that's exactly what the person at Fogstar told you personally?
Did 'he' say they've had no issues, or that they've had no issues that they haven't been able to resolve, that were directly caused by the app and not by operator error or phones etc that can't connect?
See post #154 from the OP

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
So, you know what you've read .... and then you chose to call someone a liar based on what you've read, which may or may not be the full and accurate conversation of what the Fogstar person may or may not have said ...

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not my Daly BMS connects every time never had a problem.
Well I have a roamer battery and never have them problems 🙈🤷‍♂️
Not everyone is affected. I am saying some people are affected across all manufacturers. Not everyone is affected across all manufacturers.

I suspect this is more about the bluetooth receiver on the BMS in the battery which are all produced by the same company or small number of companies. There is even a battery manufacturer who refuses to offer a warranty on the bluetooth component. I can't remember which one off the top of my head though but was heavily discussed on here.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Not everyone is affected. I am saying some people are affected across all manufacturers. Not everyone is affected across all manufacturers.

I suspect this is more about the bluetooth receiver on the BMS in the battery which are all produced by the same company or small number of companies. There is even a battery manufacturer who refuses to offer a warranty on the bluetooth component. I can't remember which one off the top of my head though but was heavily discussed on here.
Daly use a external dongle with the ability to reset, I have mine about a metre from the actual battery so if I ever need to it's easily accessed to simply reset it.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The biggest motorhome forum in the country and Fogstar can’t spend £20 and discuss the problem or offer guidance….

That to me is not good business, there’s an awful lot of potential customers on here….🤔

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Yes and I was thinking of them when I get back from this trip, I shall need to keep an eye on this… I’m not electrical minded and I need to just have stuff that works and can’t afford it if it doesn’t…🤔
I,m the first to admit i am useless with tech,I have just recieved my second 460ah fogstar drift battery to add to my existing one
I can honestly say i have not had a problem. The app may have dropped off once when i first got the 1st one .i can recommend them.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Oh I didn’t think of that…🤔 still, if I was selling stuff for motorhomes then I’d be on here like many other traders are… is it a lot..?
Don't know the cost but if like you say we're a trader it would make good sense to be on here having access to all these motorhomers spending their cash 💰

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Seems most are happy with their FogStar batteries but quite a few comments and difficulties with the app, the app is an integral part of the battery so for me as I stated before it’s not fit for purpose with the current app… let’s hope they sort a better app otherwise is a different lithium battery for me…..😎

So what do you think of renology batteries do you have an opinion on them as i,m sure its one that would come on your radar

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Don't know the cost but if like you say we're a trader it would make good sense to be on here having access to all these motorhomers spending their cash 💰
I'm sure there needs to be a balance between selective businesses offering services/goods and everyone who offers services/goods.

I think one of the best benefits to this forum is that it's mainly motorhomers offering advice and experience to other motorhomers and making recommendations based on their actual experience. I think there is a benefit in a few trusted traders also being allowed access BUT I also believe a forum isn't the right place for issues with products or services to be highlighted and discussed until the 'provider' has been given fair opportunity to resolve the issue.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
So what do you think of renology batteries do you have an opinion on them as i,m sure its one that would come on your radar

I have a Renogy inverter and it works fine, I’ve seen a couple of reviews on their batteries which were ok but I haven’t looked too much…

Why, are they any good…?

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I have a Renogy inverter and it works fine, I’ve seen a couple of reviews on their batteries which were ok but I haven’t looked too much…

Why, are they any good…?
My mates 5 month old Renogy inverter has gone t!ts up whilst he’s in Portugal and they can’t be bothered to reply to him never mind replace it

I ordered a portable 200w Renogy solar panel 9 days ago and even though i’m getting tracking from the couriers they say they haven’t received them yet 😟

I’ll probably cancel them if they don’t get their finger out 🤬

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years

Why, are they any good…?
I wouldnt know one way or the other .I have seen some negative comments in the past none that i could quote i just thought as Lithium batteries were on your radar you would have an opinion on them, maybe you should look if for nothing else but to be well informed

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
My mates 5 month old Renogy inverter has gone t!ts up whilst he’s in Portugal and they can’t be bothered to reply to him never mind replace it

I ordered a portable 200w Renogy solar panel 9 days ago and even though i’m getting tracking from the couriers they say they haven’t received them yet 😟

Good grief…. At this rate I’m not buying anything….

There’s alway Victron I suppose….

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

It's snowing here Al the UK comes to a standstill with a dusting of snow ❄️😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back