Exploring Lighter Gas Cylinder Alternatives (2 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
1990 Autotrail
The fella who converted our van engine to run on gas LPG is the same fella that makes the pumps, he explained clearly how our gas system and all the various presures and safety gadgets on it work, I think he has gas qualifications and experience much more geared for the high pressure parts of a refilable gas system than most household or motorhome and caravan gas fitters are used to because after all hes been fitting high pressure lines etc since before motorhome and caravans had refilable bottles but Ill listen to any of your concerns if youd go to the bother to mention them and go back and ask him what he has to say about it

Having a gas safe qualification and sign as your picture on here doesnt mean Im just going to read a one word answer from anyone and stop using our pump that we and many other people use and works very well and safely. Our gas fella doesnt just give one word answers especialy not about safety. I know he can do most things a gas safe fella can do but I dont know if a random gas safe fella can do all he can do. I might seem daft but Im not and even I can look up and understand presures and safety aspects because do you know what they are simple. we wouldnt use anything we didnt feel was safe and our friends who use the pumps are the same.

There will be people reading this who would think nothing of going a motors accessories shop and buying a £5 syphon to syphon petrol from a tank into a lawnmower but if they hadnt seen a syphon in an accessory shop before or if someone posted on a forum about buying a syphon to use theyd write a horror story about how unsafe it was and the syphon didnt meet XYZ rules and a plumber who is an expert in a not quite fully related field said so. Mention gas and all the experts come out of the woodwork to say something theyre unfamiliar with must be unsafe even if the gas thing was made by someone who is an expert in a more closely relavent area of expertise than they are

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I was answering to a question about being able to refil a purpose designed forcourt filling bottle but one that only has a single connector that doubles as both fill port and regulator port so youd normally have to remove it from the van to refill at a fourecourt.

What i mean is instead being able to refil it without removing it from the van by using an external filling point fitted on the van which would save having to disconnect pipes and removing the bottle from the van only to be told by the forecourt that they dont allow you to refil that kind of bottle because its the wrong colour or something even if it is purpose designed to be refilable at a forcourt and does have a fill limiter built in.

Been led to think that motorhome regulators can normally take liquid gas and not be damaged or it cause a problem arent they 2 stage and have cutoffs built in? But anyway to stop a regulator getting liquid gas when filling from a remote filler at a forecourt a tap could be put between the regulator and the pipes that normally conect the external filler to the bottle and the regulator then before goingt to refil you just turn the tap off instead of having to get the bottle out of the locker. Not a bodge because the tank is designed to be refilable at a forecourt if you remove it so the only difference is adding a remote filler?

How much difference is safety between say filing a purpose designed one port self filable bottle remotely doing like i said with a tap between rest of pipework and regulastor and filing a purpose designed two port self filable bottle remotely? If you already have a one port bottle but would have to buy a 2 port bottle what would the difference in cost and safety be?
Please, go back and read your post at #42.
Where was your mentioning of any safety isolation valve between inlet pipe from external fill point and bulk head regulator.
Just because something is possible doesn’t make it safe or legal.

Feb 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
1990 Autotrail
Please, go back and read your post at #42.
Where was your mentioning of any safety isolation valve between inlet pipe from external fill point and bulk head regulator.
Just because something is possible doesn’t make it safe or legal.
That is a fair comment thanks Bowesj. I first mentioned it because the talk was spending a lot of money to change from 1 port to 2 port refiable botles because refilable bottles cant have a external filer and experts then experts said external filers for 1 port tanks would be crazy.

Not quite so crazy with the adition of 1 extra part that experts didnt think of ?

Who do you trust to tel you what is safe or legal? Safe anyway becuase the regalotor is 2 stage and safer stil if the isolation tap is fited and closed when filing And where is it wrote in law that what I said is ilegal? I know some experts say stuf is ilegal when what they should say is its goes against some code of of practice they hold too dear and the code of practice isnt a law or sometimes even the safest or best way of doing something

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
My Gaslow's are getting a bit long in the tooth and in the quest for lightness I wondered if these may be a good alternative. Any experience or comments?

GasBank Cylinders
That sounds incredibly expensive to me! The cylinders are basically ‘Safefills’, I paid £140 each for mine…. So the regulator, gubbins and pipework costs around £400? 🥴🧐

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Picked up a brand new 10kg Safefill for £145. Discounted by dealer because it was dated 08/2023 rather than his latest stock with 2024 dates. Seems like a sensible discount, always check the dates on refillable cylinders after a few years their value is considerably reduced.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
That sounds incredibly expensive to me! The cylinders are basically ‘Safefills’, I paid £140 each for mine…. So the regulator, gubbins and pipework costs around £400? 🥴🧐
I believe Gas Bank and Safefill have different valve systems. Gas Bank are for filling in situ like Gaslow etc. but I agree the price seems high.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back