1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Drivers Anti-Sleep Gizmos

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

Little things you wear on an ear, then if you nod off (your head tips forward) it beeps in your ear to wake you. [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/iSafe-Anti-Doze-Fatigue-Detector/dp/B0060L62YG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1362589073&sr=8-4"]iSafe Anti Doze Fatigue Detector: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

I came across and advert for one in a truck magazine. To me its a bit disconcerting that a trucker with a 44ton load might be relying on that to wake him. :Eeek: Surely if you feel tired enough too wear it you should pull over and have a kip. That said, micro sleeps at the wheel kill people every week, so even though I'd not buy one, maybe they are not such a bad idea.
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

No chance of me falling asleep with Lorraine and Sophie on board :Rofl1: like you though if I thought there was a chance of nodding off I'd stop and have a rest.
  3. darklord

darklord

Not sure where i stand on them, I'd prefer soemthing that actually stops the truck/vehicle. Many trucks /coaches are now being sold with alchometers in them, you blow in them, if you have a level of alchhol on your breath, the vehicle cannot be started, maybe there is a way to test oxygen levels while we drive...dunno?
    1 person likes this.
  4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Dont need one of those, got the wife sat next to me.:RollEyes:
  5. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

In the old days one trick drivers used was to break of a bit of a vick nasal spray an suck it, Never tried it but you could stay awake for hours:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
  6. Minx

Minx Funster

Are you thinking of going into business selling them alongside your flashing things Jim? :Rofl1:
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

Nope, wouldn't buy one either:BigGrin:
  8. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Many years ago I used to have to drive a lot and my permanent travel companion was my dog a very loyal Welsh collie called Dylan. If I showed any sign of tiredness he would immediately sit up and watch me like a hawk and if I let my eyelids close I would get a cold wet nose rammed in my left ear :RollEyes: that soon woke me up :RollEyes: why he learned that trick I have no idea . It only ever happened if I was driving . If I stopped for a nap he would just curl up alongside me . Poor old lad died due to cancer but never had another dog do that .
    9 people like this.
  9. busby

busby Funster

Must be so easy to nod off in a modern truck. When i first started there were no heaters, the noise stopped any conversation if you had a passenger, and the fact that there was no power steering and brakes were nearly useless kept you awake. In later years on a more modern truck i nearly or probably did nod for a few moments. Very scary and after that keeps you on your toes. BUSBY.
    1 person likes this.
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

It's very much worse than that. The manufacturers, "because they can", are deskilling driving to an alarming degree. Cars that park themselves, cars that see pedestrians, cars that detect you are going to hit the car in front, cars that detect you going out of your lane, cars that detect if you are corning too fast.

Give me someone who can control a car unaided any day.

When will be the first "driver found not guilty of killing the woman and child on the pedestrian crossing because his person detector malfunctioned".
    2 people like this.
  11. Chris

Chris Funster - Life Member

I need one of those when I watch England playing rugby.:BigGrin:
  12. busby

busby Funster

My mother would have loved a car like that. Busby.
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

So would a lot of old people I suspect.

The huge question is, can the electronics make up for failing capabilities or should they know when to quit ?

I can picture many ways an old driver could still be a menace with the technology on offer now or soon. We won't get real safety until the car drives itself. The sooner the better, I just drove 3 days solid from Spain, how much better if I was curled up in the back reading or even on FUN.
    2 people like this.
  14. busby

busby Funster

You can do that,,,its called a bus or a train or a plane. To me the journey is the best part of our hobby. BUSBY.
    2 people like this.
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

I'd not looked at it that way, though the autonomous car takes you where you want to go and when you want to go.

But how does it detract from the journey ? Instead of trying to stay alive and sneaking the odd view of the scenery you get to stare at it as much as you want. I guess no drink drive problems either. The perfect FUNster solution.
    1 person likes this.
  16. busby

busby Funster

Never thought of that but after 52 years of driving on our highways and ten years prior to that driving off road i still enjoy being behind the wheel. Must be a control freak, and the wifes a good map reader. BUSBY.
  17. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I was promised Flying cars by the year 2000
    Where are they?
  18. busby

busby Funster

Blame tomorrows world, they lied to us. BUSBY.
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

But they did it so well for all those years.
  20. chockswahay

chockswahay Funster

I fly an ambulance, does that count? :Wink:
    3 people like this.