Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Little things you wear on an ear, then if you nod off (your head tips forward) it beeps in your ear to wake you. [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/iSafe-Anti-Doze-Fatigue-Detector/dp/B0060L62YG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1362589073&sr=8-4"]iSafe Anti Doze Fatigue Detector: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

I came across and advert for one in a truck magazine. To me its a bit disconcerting that a trucker with a 44ton load might be relying on that to wake him. :Eeek: Surely if you feel tired enough too wear it you should pull over and have a kip. That said, micro sleeps at the wheel kill people every week, so even though I'd not buy one, maybe they are not such a bad idea.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
No chance of me falling asleep with Lorraine and Sophie on board :ROFLMAO: like you though if I thought there was a chance of nodding off I'd stop and have a rest.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Not sure where i stand on them, I'd prefer soemthing that actually stops the truck/vehicle. Many trucks /coaches are now being sold with alchometers in them, you blow in them, if you have a level of alchhol on your breath, the vehicle cannot be started, maybe there is a way to test oxygen levels while we drive...dunno?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In the old days one trick drivers used was to break of a bit of a vick nasal spray an suck it, Never tried it but you could stay awake for hours:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you thinking of going into business selling them alongside your flashing things Jim? :ROFLMAO:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Many years ago I used to have to drive a lot and my permanent travel companion was my dog a very loyal Welsh collie called Dylan. If I showed any sign of tiredness he would immediately sit up and watch me like a hawk and if I let my eyelids close I would get a cold wet nose rammed in my left ear :RollEyes: that soon woke me up :RollEyes: why he learned that trick I have no idea . It only ever happened if I was driving . If I stopped for a nap he would just curl up alongside me . Poor old lad died due to cancer but never had another dog do that .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Must be so easy to nod off in a modern truck. When i first started there were no heaters, the noise stopped any conversation if you had a passenger, and the fact that there was no power steering and brakes were nearly useless kept you awake. In later years on a more modern truck i nearly or probably did nod for a few moments. Very scary and after that keeps you on your toes. BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Surely if you feel tired enough too wear it you should pull over and have a kip.

It's very much worse than that. The manufacturers, "because they can", are deskilling driving to an alarming degree. Cars that park themselves, cars that see pedestrians, cars that detect you are going to hit the car in front, cars that detect you going out of your lane, cars that detect if you are corning too fast.

Give me someone who can control a car unaided any day.

When will be the first "driver found not guilty of killing the woman and child on the pedestrian crossing because his person detector malfunctioned".

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I need one of those when I watch England playing rugby.::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My mother would have loved a car like that. Busby.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My mother would have loved a car like that. Busby.

So would a lot of old people I suspect.

The huge question is, can the electronics make up for failing capabilities or should they know when to quit ?

I can picture many ways an old driver could still be a menace with the technology on offer now or soon. We won't get real safety until the car drives itself. The sooner the better, I just drove 3 days solid from Spain, how much better if I was curled up in the back reading or even on FUN.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You can do that,,,its called a bus or a train or a plane. To me the journey is the best part of our hobby. BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can do that,,,its called a bus or a train or a plane.

I'd not looked at it that way, though the autonomous car takes you where you want to go and when you want to go.

But how does it detract from the journey ? Instead of trying to stay alive and sneaking the odd view of the scenery you get to stare at it as much as you want. I guess no drink drive problems either. The perfect FUNster solution.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Never thought of that but after 52 years of driving on our highways and ten years prior to that driving off road i still enjoy being behind the wheel. Must be a control freak, and the wifes a good map reader. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Blame tomorrows world, they lied to us. BUSBY.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Little things you wear on an ear, then if you nod off (your head tips forward) it beeps in your ear to wake you. Link Removed

I came across and advert for one in a truck magazine. To me its a bit disconcerting that a trucker with a 44ton load might be relying on that to wake him. :Eeek: Surely if you feel tired enough too wear it you should pull over and have a kip. That said, micro sleeps at the wheel kill people every week, so even though I'd not buy one, maybe they are not such a bad idea.
It might well bleep but the few seconds it takes to comprehend what that bleep in your ear is, could be your last.:Eeek:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
... and then you get the problem of where to stop if anywhere in the UK without enormous expense. Max 2 hours on motorways, supermarkets etc.

Safety while driving is put at risk with these stupid restrictions, or are they just
profit orientated and damn saving lives?

Sorry about the rant but it's my hobby horse, do drive a lot and live in terror of a long journey around the UK.

Just as a thought or two about sleeping while driving. Has happened or nearly happened to me a couple of times. The effect on me is it happened but crept up [HI]without warning[/HI]. If there is a parking place within 10 minutes I can get there and it's not too bad. If not I have to try some strange and not pleasant things to stay awake, including screaming at the top of my voice at myself, it's really horrible.

If it has happened to you, you will know it is a truly terrifying experience.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's happened to me.
Driving back from work years ago same journey every day, I got nearly home and realised I had no recollection of driving the last 15miles, obviously on autopilot.:Eeek:

The second occasion was in Ireland and I actually left the road, bumping along the grass verge woke me, although possibly the screams from the GF may have had some effect.
There should be more places to stop for a kip, lay bys are a bit noisy and other places often severely restricted on time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back