Dog food in France (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
If i only took what i was allowed UK - CH and back then my van would be empty:LOL:, it never is.

Seriously dog food…..
Can understand their concerns as if you do have a dog that needs special food and get pulled by customs it could cause a lot of worrying.
My Jack has her special biscuits for her rear legs but would probably survive on other ones for a few weeks but I wouldn’t fancy getting up to a surprise every morning if I changed to a dog food that didn’t agree with them 🤢🤢

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As a human I can take special food for my medical diet (even into the USA and Australia) so if your dog needs a medical diet what's the difference? Get your vet to sign a letter for you.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Ooh the Picard shops look good. Thanks for posting that. When we’ve been to France prior to covid all the supermarkets sold a lot of raw meats for pets. It would be a case of working the ratio of meat/bone/offal to feed but I suppose it’s possible.
Reggie currently eats Natural Instinct Working Dog raw. It's complete as it has neat, bone and veg in it. Our MoHo freezer is a bit small so might manage a couple of kg packs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
With two largish dogs, taking enough dog food was a problem before the B word. Most types, though not necessarily the same brands are available even if you have to pay a bit more through the vets.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Reggie currently eats Natural Instinct Working Dog raw. It's complete as it has neat, bone and veg in it. Our MoHo freezer is a bit small so might manage a couple of kg packs.
Yes in the uk I feed Yoshi the complete raw food. It’s much easier! I don’t know how many blocks of food I’d be able to fit in our van freezer!

TaylorSwift

Free Member
May 6, 2022
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2020
Same here just back from a month,took enough dry and wet food plus medication.We were stopped coming back into the UK but they weren’t bothered with what we had on board,it was more if we had anyone we shouldn’t on board 😎

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Great name Reggie! My Nan used to call me Reggie :h:

Gina (full name Regina)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Remember that when thawed it's good for say four days in the fridge, so four in the fridge and 3 in the freezer and you'll have enough for a week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
Ours has Fish4Dogs and whilst I was aware of the ‘huge’ fish allowance & that’s per person I believe I wasn’t aware that included what is in dog food, (as pet food is listed separately) although hubby had said he’d start eating it if we got asked about it!!
We also have to be very careful what she eats as it will result in stomach upset or sickness if doesn’t suit. I’d set up an account with a German supplier to have the Fish4Dogs sent to our campsite. However I’d also researched fish based foods that were available in France & Uk and found ‘Six Fish’. Incredibly expensive - but you can’t really put a price on a ‘solid poop’ can you? I introduced the Six Fish and do still mix it up or give her one or the other. We travelled to France in April and risked taking the Fish4Dogs and as everyone else said, no-one looked or asked. We kept an unopened bag in the bathroom so it wasn’t hidden as decided if they looked and found a hidden one that’s worse than admitting you have some. The Six Fish is sold in Maxi Zoo of which there is a branch within minutes of the tunnel so if ours ever is confiscated that will be our first stop!!
I wasted far too much of my time fretting about all this on our last trip, when we go again next month a couple of bags of food will go with us and just take it as it comes….

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
As a human I can take special food for my medical diet (even into the USA and Australia) so if your dog needs a medical diet what's the difference? Get your vet to sign a letter for you.
You can only take 2kg and that’s only if accompanied by a vets certificate which will cost you about a tenner !! I’d looked into that opinion too….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back