Dog food in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
How are other dog owners feeding their dogs abroad. As we cannot take our dog's dry food I am worried that I will not be able to get the right food for my dog when we go to France, Spain and Portugal later this year. He eats James Wellbeloved normally. If I change his food to another brand he is going to have tummy trouble and that means wet sloppy poo to try and pick up. Am I worrying over nothing:unsure: Or is there going to be a James Wellbeloved store as soon as I get off the Shuttle;)

Gina

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Took a locker full of dog food for the 2 pups on our recent 4 week trip away.
My girl Jack has special biscuits but having not heard of anyone being stopped we just took the chance.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thats why my dogs have been fed on whatever dry food i can get . They eat anything 😁

They actually turn their noses up at bakers when we are home. Although they often have some of what im having mixed through it.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have seen that you can order your dog's food via amazon or Ebay. Why not choose a delivery in France. Surely they will indicate you in what store you can collect it according to the town you type

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
I’m taking fish based kibble when we go to France. I’ve just introduced the fish variety of her normal kibble to get her used to it. I read somewhere that fish is OK but not entitely sure whether I’ve got that right.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thats why my dogs have been fed on whatever dry food i can get . They eat anything 😁

They actually turn their noses up at bakers when we are home. Although they often have some of what im having mixed through it.
And they do the dishes afterwards :giggle:That sounds like a plan. Maybe I could start mixing things up a bit for him, starting from now.

Gina

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours have Skinners field and trial. Spice in particular needs grain free and we always order it through Amazon.
I did think Royal Canin might be ok as it is grain free and is certainly available widely in France and probably elsewhere.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We changed from chicken to salmon dog food for our two; as fish is one of the permitted foods, and took 12kg with us. No checks of any sort. I did ask autarky if they had a supplier in France, which they did, but no were near the tunnel. I will take our dog food again when we go in September.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Took 4 weeks of Nature's Menu sachets and a box of no grain mixer. No checks Out going at all at the tunnel

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
James Welbeloved do not have French stockists but it can be mail ordered via other providers. We didn't bother, our dog normally has JW stuff but was happy enough eating the local pedigree stuff from supermarkets. We work on the basis that if he is desperate enough to try to eat the postman, neighbour's cat or an errant pigeon he will probably eat anything!:giggle:

Attachments

• travellers-what-kinds-of-food-and-plants-can-you-bring-with-you.pdf
    415.8 KB · Views: 12
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Im in two minds as to whether to start eating the same as our dogs ( to save taking different food stuffs)
Or get the dogs in my diet . Beer, burgers and crisps.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
How are other dog owners feeding their dogs abroad. As we cannot take our dog's dry food....

Gina

I thought it was refrigerated food that you shouldn't take?

Even if you shouldn't take dried, I'd put a few bags in the garage, they'll only confiscate it if they find it.

Cheers
Red.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
We changed ours over to James wellbeloved fish based dog food. However he is on raw food now so I’ll buy it when we are away in future.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
I have being travelling regularly to my house and have had no checks so far- I lie, the customs did want to look in the boot on one trip, but as soon as they opened it my dog was leaning over the back of the seat and barked at them- they soon shut the lid.

Even if you did get stopped, I very much doubt they would associate a dry dog food with meat? I think they would just think it is biscuits

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I took some chocolate biscuits (for myself, not to give to dogs:LOL:).
They are not bovvered at the border.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
You all know what I think of dogs, but seriously they must feed their dogs in France.
I get what you are saying but I have always been told never change your dogs diet unless you can do it gradually over a week or so. I don't want my little boy having a poorly tummy. (same goes for Jack the dog:LOL:)

Gina

GKD

Mar 17, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
4yrs
Have a look in Maxizoo chain of pet shops, they stock Hills Science Plan, Eukanuba and Royal Canin

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I have seen that you can order your dog's food via amazon or Ebay. Why not choose a delivery in France. Surely they will indicate you in what store you can collect it according to the town you type
Spiffing idea.

Our dog eats raw food and that's defo non-no as far as our former EU "friends" are concerned. Many people say they take meat and have never been stopped but I guess I look guilty as I am the one that always gets customs rooting about in my dirty underwear in my case...

Captain Jean-Luc Picard apparently retired and opened a French frozen food chain <Picard> and they do raw food so we might get away with it. He likes fish and oddly you can take fish mince across without any problem. There's one in Coquelles near the Chunnel.

I will check that Amazon idea though....

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We had abut 7 weeks in France and took enough kibble for that time for on dog.
Nobody cares what food stuff you take, the Customs don’t!

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
We went to Caen on the ferry & took 3 weeks worth of our dogs food with us, he also suffers with an upset tummy if you change his food. Our dog has a mixture of Chappie & dry biscuit.
No checks whatsoever in fridge or cupboards.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Spiffing idea.

Our dog eats raw food and that's defo non-no as far as our former EU "friends" are concerned. Many people say they take meat and have never been stopped but I guess I look guilty as I am the one that always gets customs rooting about in my dirty underwear in my case...

Captain Jean-Luc Picard apparently retired and opened a French frozen food chain <Picard> and they do raw food so we might get away with it. He likes fish and oddly you can take fish mince across without any problem. There's one in Coquelles near the Chunnel.

I will check that Amazon idea though....
Ooh the Picard shops look good. Thanks for posting that. When we’ve been to France prior to covid all the supermarkets sold a lot of raw meats for pets. It would be a case of working the ratio of meat/bone/offal to feed but I suppose it’s possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back